Sponsored by:

Arnott rear suspension for a Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05' E55 Wagon, 18' S90 T6, 00' M5, 19' F150
Arnott rear suspension for a Wagon

Our new to us E55 Wagon seems to be sitting lower than we left it after a few days of not using it. I am guessing its replacement time for the rears. I would like to stay with the air setup and Arnott looks to be the way to go from the reading I have done here.

Are there any wagon specific tips for this install? I assume the only differences would be in how I access the top of the shock from inside the car, but I'm not sure.

Do I need STAR programming at either the beginning or end of this?

Is this the best DIY link for the install?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ws-arnott.html

thanks!!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2007 Gl450 2006 cls55
you don't need to remove the shocks just disconnect the hose from the bellow to the air tank and that will release the air inside the bellow. then disconnect the thin white air supply pipe and the electrical connector and pull the old bellow out. you can leave the old tanks on the subframe.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
If it just sits a little lower after a few days, then pumps right back up to the correct height after you start the car, I would not worry about replacing the shock just yet. That is a common occurrence on these cars. If you're worried, maybe have a shop inspect the system for leaks, but replacing the shock(s) may be premature.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bbspoolside
you don't need to remove the shocks just disconnect the hose from the bellow to the air tank and that will release the air inside the bellow. then disconnect the thin white air supply pipe and the electrical connector and pull the old bellow out. you can leave the old tanks on the subframe.
I was certain the shock needed to come out to gain enough clearance to remove the airbag. I appreciate the response!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by HeissRod
If it just sits a little lower after a few days, then pumps right back up to the correct height after you start the car, I would not worry about replacing the shock just yet. That is a common occurrence on these cars. If you're worried, maybe have a shop inspect the system for leaks, but replacing the shock(s) may be premature.

Thats pretty much how it behaves. We had a PPI done (at a very reputable mercedes shop) before we bought it and it all checked out fine.

I just assumed those components would be on their last legs and that it made more sense to change them out before they leave me stranded. I guess I could wait it out a bit more. thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by ekalb
Our new to us E55 Wagon seems to be sitting lower than we left it after a few days of not using it. I am guessing its replacement time for the rears. I would like to stay with the air setup and Arnott looks to be the way to go from the reading I have done here.

Are there any wagon specific tips for this install? I assume the only differences would be in how I access the top of the shock from inside the car, but I'm not sure.

Do I need STAR programming at either the beginning or end of this?

Is this the best DIY link for the install?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ws-arnott.html

thanks!!
Trust me when I say this, to replace the rear airmatics in the wagon is a BIG pain. I know from experience. You also need the special tool to remove that funny flat nut on top of the airmatc. In the wagon, because of the spacing in the wagon, it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the airmatic without that special tool. I have had my wagon since 2005. The first time one of the rear airmatics went out, I tried to replace it myself without that special tool and it was not possible. Luckily, a friend had mercy and let me borrow his Mercedes special tool and it allowed me to take off that nut but it was still a pain and a very long process. The next time the rear airmatic went out, I just had my Indy do it. Pricey yes, but I enjoyed my weekend of golf, drinks, family and no long painful enduring frustration. Pm me if you want my cell and we can talk about it.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jcjmw
Trust me when I say this, to replace the rear airmatics in the wagon is a BIG pain. I know from experience. You also need the special tool to remove that funny flat nut on top of the airmatc. In the wagon, because of the spacing in the wagon, it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the airmatic without that special tool. I have had my wagon since 2005. The first time one of the rear airmatics went out, I tried to replace it myself without that special tool and it was not possible. Luckily, a friend had mercy and let me borrow his Mercedes special tool and it allowed me to take off that nut but it was still a pain and a very long process. The next time the rear airmatic went out, I just had my Indy do it. Pricey yes, but I enjoyed my weekend of golf, drinks, family and no long painful enduring frustration. Pm me if you want my cell and we can talk about it.

I actually ordered this last night based on I post I found of your from last August:
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/bgs-...edes-8307.html

So, even with that tool its a completely miserable job?

Once it arrives (coming from overseas) I will jack up the car and take a look around and see how far over my head it may actually be. The only "reputable" Mercedes shop within 60 miles of me is unfortunately the dealer. I'm not even sure they would be willing install the Arnott components.

I will definitely PM you when I get closer to working on this. Thank for the offer!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by ekalb
I actually ordered this last night based on I post I found of your from last August:
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/bgs-...edes-8307.html

So, even with that tool its a completely miserable job?

Once it arrives (coming from overseas) I will jack up the car and take a look around and see how far over my head it may actually be. The only "reputable" Mercedes shop within 60 miles of me is unfortunately the dealer. I'm not even sure they would be willing install the Arnott components.

I will definitely PM you when I get closer to working on this. Thank for the offer!
I wish I bought that tool. The tool makes it A LOT easier!!! The pain is having to remove all of the interior stuff. I have a 3rd row bench, so that added time. Just make sure you keep all the bolts and everything marked and know how to put it back. Use your cell and take lots of before picks, before you start tearing into it.

Get a good pair of mechanic's glove and work in a good lighted area. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jcjmw
I wish I bought that tool. The tool makes it A LOT easier!!! The pain is having to remove all of the interior stuff. I have a 3rd row bench, so that added time. Just make sure you keep all the bolts and everything marked and know how to put it back. Use your cell and take lots of before picks, before you start tearing into it.

Get a good pair of mechanic's glove and work in a good lighted area. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Yeah I have the rear bench as well. I was certain my kids were going to shoot through the rear window the first time I stomped on the gas

Anyways, I will search around for a DIY on removing all the interior trim pieces.

Thanks again!