Sponsored by:

Unicorn Down - Accident I Got Hit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
I will try to update as I can the repairs at Buckhead. They have a CLS in right now getting some work done but it should be completed shortly. Then they will start the work on my car.

Only change so far are the new wheels as I didn’t care for the wheels that were on it. I was bummed the org Stance wheels were no longer made. Still thinking to have these new ones painted some to make them look similar.

Sitting outside Buckhead

Old 08-04-2020, 01:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
1987 190e 2.3-16 sold and missed, 1966 220s, 2016 GL550, 1999 C43, 2006 CLS 55
Amazing that you were able to get the car back. Not everyone is fortunate to get a car back that was dear to their heart. I’m happy to see that you were able to get her back and put in some work to bring her back.

enjoy her my friend!
The following users liked this post:
black06c230 (08-04-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Update

Should be completed and in the car tomorrow. Then wired up and running next week. Tuning and few other things done and then back “home” end of the month or early Oct. Then will head to body shop for paint and carbon fiber work.

seems a squirrel used the pass side fender to store his nuts for the winter. This explains meth not working and the tank leaking. Why previous owner let the car sit outside is beyond me but also explains the carbon fiber part issues.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 284 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Do not let he insurance get a hold of your car until ts all settled.Man *** that ****

If its mine and paid of come pry it out of my hands unless you pay me first what the car is worth. Sorry you had to go through this but its good that you got it back even tho you should have kept it right away and fixed it.

My amg was wrecked the same way(not 211). Insurance took four months to pay me but I got way more than the car is worth and they let me keep it for free. I then sold the car for another chuck on top of that.

Filing a complaint with the department of insurance might have helped speed up the process for me.
black06c230 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Nice to see this story heading towards a positive conclusion. That said, if you are able to insure with an agreed-value insurance company like Hagerty, do it.

These types of cars deserve better than what a off-the-shelf low-balling policy brings to the table.

black06c230 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by black06c230
Update

Should be completed and in the car tomorrow. Then wired up and running next week. Tuning and few other things done and then back “home” end of the month or early Oct. Then will head to body shop for paint and carbon fiber work.

seems a squirrel used the pass side fender to store his nuts for the winter. This explains meth not working and the tank leaking. Why previous owner let the car sit outside is beyond me but also explains the carbon fiber part issues.

Hey man glad to hear it’s moving along. Get those body shop guys to do some progress pics for you so you can share with us!

Glad you were able to make this work out. When you have a nice example like you did and be able to get it back. Even if you have to do some recon work to it. Although it may have been more than what you may have wanted to do.
But like I said before these particular cars will be slim in several more years with people buying them cheap and daily driving them, will only make ours worth more money in the future.
black06c230 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Few pics of the motor getting dropped in. I am going on Thurs and take some pics and update more then.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
New engine in and getting closer to being ready

Old 10-11-2020, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Hell yeah! Getting close now! I know you have to be excited to be getting it back and ripping it again.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I know you will be happy H, hit me up when you come back in town.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
I know you will be happy H, hit me up when you come back in town.

will do buddy
Old 02-02-2021, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Hey man how is everything going? What’s the word on your ride?
Old 02-03-2021, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by tlambert
Hey man how is everything going? What’s the word on your ride?
Ever so slowly. Car was with Tony last week for dyno time. Car put down the expected 520 but had a few issues with the cooling with the KC and meth injection. Should get update on that this week and then will go back to Tony again for a double check to see if any more can be made. Tony said it was all fine as is once cooling cleaned up some but told him wanted to still dyno again. Tony, Jason at Buckhead and I debated swapping to the new whipple from VRP but decided best to get it all good and then go down that road end of the year if it looks like a good setup on others.

So hope in next few weeks it gets transported closer to home once all done in ATL. Then it’s off for body work to cleanup the paint and replace most of the ext carbon parts. Headlights, tails, and side mirrors getting updated to match 63 bumper.

While all this has been going on a I also bought a G55 and Tony did a 77 clutches upper and tune for it. It’s now as quick as our GL550 with catless downpipes and tune. G will soon have 63 bumper, 2” lift and FOX shocks.

Pics of the E at Tony’s and the G at home. When we picked up the G last week it was the first time the E/G/GL were at the same place.

Last edited by black06c230; 02-03-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Ever so slowly. Car was with Tony last week for dyno time. Car put down the expected 520 but had a few issues with the cooling with the KC and meth injection. Should get update on that this week and then will go back to Tony again for a double check to see if any more can be made. Tony said it was all fine as is once cooling cleaned up some but told him wanted to still dyno again. Tony, Jason at Buckhead and I debated swapping to the new whipple from VRP but decided best to get it all good and then go down that road end of the year if it looks like a good setup on others.

So hope in next few weeks it gets transported closer to home once all done in ATL. Then it’s off for body work to cleanup the paint and replace most of the ext carbon parts. Headlights, tails, and side mirrors getting updated to match 63 bumper.

While all this has been going on a I also bought a G55 and Tony did a 77 clutches upper and tune for it. It’s now as quick as our GL550 with catless downpipes and tune. G will soon have 63 bumper, 2” lift and FOX shocks.

Pics of the E at Tony’s and the G at home. When we picked up the G last week it was the first time the E/G/GL were at the same place.

Cool 520 sounds pretty good! Sounds like the engine worked out well. yeah I would agree on waiting later to swap the SC, giving it some time now to see if anything else pops up. I’m sure you will be happy to get it back home and get the body touched up. You’re just going to have it spot painted as needed right? A lot of good painters today and matching colors has gotten easier with the use of computers.

I like keeping the E55 look but yeah I get swapping the 63 miscellaneous parts. I’m sure when it’s done you’ll be happy once you get to cruise it around. I’m glad you saved it, as more of these cars get blown engines, wrecked up and parted out the nicest ones should climb back up in value.....at least that’s what I’m hoping for. Lol.
They were badass cars for their day, still quick, and hang with or faster than some new fast cars.

G55 sounds like it would be a blast. You’re going to have some fun rides at home!

Keep this updated love to see how it comes together.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg

Did you know wesitec is a whipple>??It's like now that vrp came out with a copy of a speed driven/wesitec kit calling it whipple it sparked them on wanting a kit..I rather have a wesitec any day of the week as it's proven and uses better parts with a upgraded real intercooler with it..It's close to the same price too,at times reading posts about this whipple kit on vrp makes me think they just started moding weeks ago and this is there first car of this nature.Nice numbers by the way and car looks strong from the dyno graph posted on race iq page,must be really fun to drive.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by oneslow55
Did you know wesitec is a whipple>??It's like now that vrp came out with a copy of a speed driven/wesitec kit calling it whipple it sparked them on wanting a kit..I rather have a wesitec any day of the week as it's proven and uses better parts with a upgraded real intercooler with it..It's close to the same price too,at times reading posts about this whipple kit on vrp makes me think they just started moding weeks ago and this is there first car of this nature.Nice numbers by the way and car looks strong from the dyno graph posted on race iq page,must be really fun to drive.

oh no I know it’s the same but the VRP one allows to keep most the stock parts. So I can keep my Renntech carbon airbox and other items. I like the rather non race car look of it vs the Weistec.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Cool 520 sounds pretty good! Sounds like the engine worked out well. yeah I would agree on waiting later to swap the SC, giving it some time now to see if anything else pops up. I’m sure you will be happy to get it back home and get the body touched up. You’re just going to have it spot painted as needed right? A lot of good painters today and matching colors has gotten easier with the use of computers.

I like keeping the E55 look but yeah I get swapping the 63 miscellaneous parts. I’m sure when it’s done you’ll be happy once you get to cruise it around. I’m glad you saved it, as more of these cars get blown engines, wrecked up and parted out the nicest ones should climb back up in value.....at least that’s what I’m hoping for. Lol.
They were badass cars for their day, still quick, and hang with or faster than some new fast cars.

G55 sounds like it would be a blast. You’re going to have some fun rides at home!

Keep this updated love to see how it comes together.
Yeah I have a very good shop that does my work. I rotate between Classic Car Motoring and Goolsby Customs. There is a hard tape line and some bad clear but Classic feels they can’t get it cleaned up no problem mostly without having to paint. Course this is based from my pics on phone but they will transport it in the glass enclosed transport they call the CCMToybox.

Classic Car is now in an old Sams Club building and it’s just huge with 6 paint booths. The old shop had a glass paint booth.
https://www.classiccarmotoring.com/

Goolsby focus is high end restorations but have been long time friends so he will work on my E or event lowly Chevy Volt.
https://goolsbycustoms.com/
Old 02-05-2021, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Both shops are badass. Goolsby has built some killer rides. The bug they did was super nice.

Hey does your E still have the 195 crank pulley on it? And stock blower? Stock SC pulley?

My engine is set up like yours except I have a 185 CP and stock air box with K&Ns.

I noticed in the dyno vid there is a good bit of SC whine. Rentech air box add to the sound?

Last edited by tlambert; 02-05-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Both shops are badass. Goolsby has but some killer rides. The bug they did was super nice.

Hey does your E still have the 195 crank pulley on it? And stock blower? Stock SC pulley?

My engine is set up like yours except I have a 185 CP and stock air box with K&Ns.

I noticed in the dyno vid there is a good bit of SC whine. Rentech air box add to the sound?
Yes still running the 195 and stock blower/pulley.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:22 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
oh no I know it’s the same but the VRP one allows to keep most the stock parts. So I can keep my Renntech carbon airbox and other items. I like the rather non race car look of it vs the Weistec.

The weistec makes more power.Also a correct intake made makes gains even on the stock blower...20 psi e85 with a stack with a vrp is actually not alot of gains..vrp stole the design from speed driven.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by oneslow55
The weistec makes more power.Also a correct intake made makes gains even on the stock blower...20 psi e85 with a stack with a vrp is actually not alot of gains..vrp stole the design from speed driven.

Great but again I have no cares bc again I AM NOT GETTING RID OF MY RENNTECH CARBON FIBER AIRBOX!!!

also E85 is great if it can be gotten easily and the blend it consistent which it isn’t. Having meth and being tuned for it like I am is nearly the same.

I would say 521hp/668tq on a Dyno Dynamics is pretty solid. I have only taken the car to the track and ran on street 19s and that was with just a 180 CP and airbox and ran 11.7 at 121mph. I don’t care about the track and I don’t really care about total power I just want my certain mods that keep it from looking like a ragged race car. It’s a damn Benz!!! Luxury and speed.

I would take my engine bay like this over the other stuff, and if i wanted to upgrade the SC the VRP allows it to basically stay the same.

I just don’t care for these but to each their own. The first 2 are pretty but not for a Benz.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I noticed in the dyno vid there is a good bit of SC whine.

Rentech air box add to the sound?
Old 02-06-2021, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
I noticed in the dyno vid there is a good bit of SC whine.

Rentech air box add to the sound?
no idea as it’s been on the car since I got it in 2012 but likely not. It’s really just carbon version of the stock and have non OE filters.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Ah I see. I like the look of the first and second pics above but looks cluttered. The last pic not sure why someone would want open breathers in the engine bay sucking hot air into the SC.

Im with you I’d rather have the stock SC covered and everything clean. If I had a Weistec on it I’m all for no covers on it.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Ok so updates on a few things, sorry its been such a long time between updates.

The E finally came home in June of 2021, nearly a year after being dropped off in ATL at Buckhead Imports. Lots of time and LOTS of money to get things going. Since I don't daily this car and was in no super rush I just let them move at whatever pace worked for them. Total bill there was $19k for motor, install, and lots of other maintenance items. I had the car dropped off at my friends MB certified and amazing repair shop, it takes up the entirety of an old Sam's Club building. The plan was to have the body work issues resolved but since they were slammed we choose to then just drive it home and let me do minor things to it.

Started with getting the leather back in a little better shape. Got to keep the merlot in best shape I can. I can't say I see a huge improvement and the pics likely don't show it all the best either.

Added a carbon gauge cluster surround to match the carbon interior trim.

Then I finally broke down and got a carbon wheel to match. I also went with the carbon surround vs getting a 63 black face cluster as I felt the white with carbon surround better matched the Daytona I have.

I have removed the existing carbon trim so that I can have all new carbon trim made so I can have a carbon shfter surround, ensure all weave in the pieces are going the same direction (there was 1 piece it didn't match right), and replace the cracked carbon knob. Once I have the new pieces will update again.

I replaced the front grill as it was damaged in the accident in 2015 but clearly no one ever replaced. They had super glued pieces together and it didn't fit right. it took 3 months to get the company to make me one without a logo at the top of it. Also they had replaced the hood cowl insert and made it black. I hate that look as it makes it look cheap to me, so I replaced it would the OE white again.

Used gloss black vinyl over the fading ext window trim. and added facelift tail lights.

Engine will get a much needed detail and new carbon engine cover as my orig from 6-7 years ago has not held up well. Temporary all black cover. Car is also making 564rwhp and 666rwtq.

Replaced the plastic door lock pins, and have new trim for the gummy headlight switch panel. That still needs to be done but is a pain in the ***.

The headlights were in crap shape and the pass side didn't match the driver side internal projector lens. I had years ago swap the lenses for the ZKW-R clear lenses. I took the headlights apart to swap in complete Morimoto EVO projectors to have a better beam/throw/cutoff. When I opened them the internal wired just fell apart, so I ordered complete brand new OE headlights. I then tore these down to swap in the EVO projectors and also Depo facelift inner chrome pieces. I didn't order new facelift lights bc the wires are diff and I didn't want to do all that. So just swapping in the inners was easier I felt. This project is nearly complete and will update this in the next week or so, as I need to clean the glue from the housings and swap the inner pieces.

New OE headlight all stock vs orig headlight and unknown bulb age.

EVO projectors with Osram CBB bulbs.

More to come as I have the new interior carbon trim and shift knob coming, new carbon rear spoiler, new carbon rear difuser, remove front fogs lights for the carbon LED DRLs, and lost more before the car goes in to get the front body work cleaned up. It needs 2 new fenders, wheel well plastics, better paint job and blending to the doors.
nemiro (10-22-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unicorn Down - Accident I Got Hit