W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I'm going to replace lower ball joints what else should I do when I'm in there...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
If I'm going to replace lower ball joints what else should I do when I'm in there...?

Going to tackle the lower ball joints in a few days. I have the ball joint separator and a ball joint press for the W211. I'm not typically one for replacing parts just to replace them! But....does it make sense to replace the upper ball joints as well? I hear a lot about the lower ball joints going bad but I'm not sure about the upper. How hard is it to change the upper at a later date?
I just put on new brakes/rotors within the last 1K miles. Looking for input.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
I plan on doing uppers at the same time and control arms,,, cant be much more work,, squeaking is driving me nuts
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Upper balljoints can be done by themselves in about 20 minutes per side. The only special tool you need is a tie-rod end separator. Not because you're taking apart the tie rod ends, but because it fits our small balljoints better than the wider balljoint separator. I borrowed one from AutoZone.

Last edited by JoeJErnst; 10-05-2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarified what I meant by "uppers" (balljoints, not control arms)
Old 10-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
Originally Posted by cabowabodude
Going to tackle the lower ball joints in a few days. I have the ball joint separator and a ball joint press for the W211. I'm not typically one for replacing parts just to replace them! But....does it make sense to replace the upper ball joints as well? I hear a lot about the lower ball joints going bad but I'm not sure about the upper. How hard is it to change the upper at a later date?
I just put on new brakes/rotors within the last 1K miles. Looking for input.

Thanks,
Mark
While you're there, check the lower control arm bushings for wear, IE cracks or separation.

I recently replace my control arms and tie rods. If I had to do it all over again, I would have left the upper control arms alone and replaced the ball joints on them only. The bushings on the upper control arms still looked good after 105k miles.

Pull on your sway bar to see if it slides in and out of the sway bar bushing. If so, plan on replacing it as well.

I still have my lower control arms. You, or anyone else, can have them if you're up for pressing in new bushings and intermediate ball joints. Just pay shipping.

-OA
Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'05 E55, ‘00 ML55, ‘92 500E
I just did upper and lower ball joints over the weekend and I still hear a faint popping noise inside on the drivers side when I go over a bump.. Any idea what that may be?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Bean93x
I just did upper and lower ball joints over the weekend and I still hear a faint popping noise inside on the drivers side when I go over a bump.. Any idea what that may be?
Did you check the tie rod ends for your steering, Those can get some play and cause a little noise, Lower and upper ball joints make noises, The lower thrust arm also, You can't change the bushings out from what I understand So they just sell the whole arm. Also last but not least the sway bar end links or bushings.

Report back after you fix it and tell us what it was if you could.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
I'm facing the same issue. But my front end is starting to feel sloppy, and my E55 has 153k on it. I decided to go with new upper cont. arms (w/ ball joints), lower ball joints, lower cont. arms, lower strut arms, and new wheel bearings (all Lemforder / febi). I got everything for around $900 shopping it around different sites.

I should have everything together by the end of next week...
Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
im about to do the same and replace all the upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, etc. need to check sway bar bushings, sucks you have to replace entire sway bar as they dont just sell the bushings. Doing upd rear camber arms as well.

should be fun winter project, car better drive like new !!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
One of my lower ball joints was shot so I decided to replace:
  • Upper Ball Joints
  • Lower Ball Joints
  • Upper Control Arms
  • Lower Control Arms
  • Tie Rods
I replaced all 4 air-shocks not long ago also. I had been wondering if there was anything else I should have included so it's nice to see this thread. As I thought I should have probably done the sway bars also.

Have not had the chance to drive the car yet as this was just one of the side projects while my motor was being rebuilt. But after 7 months the motor is being dropped in as we speak and I'm finally going to be back behind the wheel in a couple of weeks (assuming no unforeseen issues.)
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
One of my lower ball joints was shot so I decided to replace:
  • Upper Ball Joints
  • Lower Ball Joints
  • Upper Control Arms
  • Lower Control Arms
  • Tie Rods
I replaced all 4 air-shocks not long ago also. I had been wondering if there was anything else I should have included so it's nice to see this thread. As I thought I should have probably done the sway bars also.

Have not had the chance to drive the car yet as this was just one of the side projects while my motor was being rebuilt. But after 7 months the motor is being dropped in as we speak and I'm finally going to be back behind the wheel in a couple of weeks (assuming no unforeseen issues.)
Sway bar and brackets would have been simple replacements with the engine out. Steering rack bushings would have been nice too. My bushings will go in when I find time to work on the car again.