Adding weight behind rear tires for better launch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Adding weight behind rear tires for better launch

This is a little trick I'm sure many veteran racers know about. Too bad not many here like to share things.

Anywho, Adding weight behind the rear tires helps with weight distribution and plants the tires into the ground for a harder launch. It works. Ive seen guys run 15" rims with crappy street tires on Turbo V8 powered cars dead hook. (depends on track surface)

My friend puts extra cylinder heads in the trunk and he launches hard on street tires.

You guys that are trying to get the car to run quicker but are having problems with traction should try it. It works.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
You could just get a wagon and load that puppy up! Lots of drag racers get a wagon for that exact reason alone.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I find if you go around the vehicle and remove every 2nd bolt/screw that you come across you will shed some amount of weight overall, that is what you really want

Every odd wheel nut, head studs, bell housing bolts, just remember every 2nd one to maintain functionality

(disclaimer - do not remove half the bolts and screws)

In regards to the OP a guy I knew years ago stripped out his entire air con system, pump, air con radiator, everything under the dash, carpet etc in aid of weight reduction, his only problem was that he had no where to store all the parts so he put them all in the trunk and drove it around with all these parts rattling around back there until he sold it SMH

Last edited by menace2sobriety; 10-27-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by Max.H
This is a little trick I'm sure many veteran racers know about. Too bad not many here like to share things.

Anywho, Adding weight behind the rear tires helps with weight distribution and plants the tires into the ground for a harder launch. It works. Ive seen guys run 15" rims with crappy street tires on Turbo V8 powered cars dead hook. (depends on track surface)

My friend puts extra cylinder heads in the trunk and he launches hard on street tires.

You guys that are trying to get the car to run quicker but are having problems with traction should try it. It works.

It's diminishing returns. Add 100lbs in a set of heads you lose a .1 or more after you hook. Now if your running 700 hp sure it my not take away as much
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
I find if you go around the vehicle and remove every 2nd bolt/screw that you come across you will shed some amount of weight overall, that is what you really want

Every odd wheel nut, head studs, bell housing bolts, just remember every 2nd one to maintain functionality

(disclaimer - do not remove half the bolts and screws)

In regards to the OP a guy I knew years ago stripped out his entire air con system, pump, air con radiator, everything under the dash, carpet etc in aid of weight reduction, his only problem was that he had no where to store all the parts so he put them all in the trunk and drove it around with all these parts rattling around back there until he sold it SMH
]

hahaha that sounds like quite the charachter
Old 10-27-2015, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
It's diminishing returns. Add 100lbs in a set of heads you lose a .1 or more after you hook. Now if your running 700 hp sure it my not take away as much
Who said 100 lbs? 100 lbs in heads is a bit extreme… My buddy put a few heads from what I saw right at the end of the trunk far back as possible. 30 lbs or so from what I could see and it worked. He went quicker all the way through from 60 foot to 1/4. The track had poor conditions.

Ive done this many times in several different cars and it works without fail. Just don't over do it and yes, the more HP you got the better of course.

Last edited by Max.H; 10-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Just carry more fuel. It's not rocket science. Either way you carry more weight you go slower. Learn how to drive it and it's gold. Why do you think an E 55 has not run 9's? Because it's fat. Pain and simple. Never add weight for et
Old 10-29-2015, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
Just carry more fuel. It's not rocket science. Either way you carry more weight you go slower. Learn how to drive it and it's gold. Why do you think an E 55 has not run 9's? Because it's fat. Pain and simple. Never add weight for et
You can't outdrive poor track conditions… If you had enough track time you would know that. Carry more fuel? Isn't that adding weight to the rear of the car for more traction?

We can't soften up the suspension more then comfort mode so the next best thing is to add a little bit of weight to get more squat on the launch.

I used to think running comfort mode would make you slower because the car shifts a little slower. Well, I was wrong it does help especially on street tires. Same thing here.

If you are hooking already then not much an issue but, it can still help launch harder. If you are spinning at the track no matter what you do, then that is when a little extra weight in the right area does help. Nobody said to load your car with cinder brick. My car would spin and get bad launch when I remove the spare tire and and jack. I put it back in and it hooks better. Simple.

The reason an E55 has not run 9s has not much to do with weight. More about launch, It's got the power.

What do you think a GTR weighs? What about a CTS-V? The newer Mustangs are running 9s with whipple or kenne bell superchargers, they aren't feather weight either. In the end you can do whatever you want with your own car. But, I have shared actual data and first hand experience. Not here say. Cheers.

Last edited by Max.H; 10-29-2015 at 03:02 AM.