How much trans movement is normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
How much trans movement is normal

Hey All.

I am thinking of replacing my engine and trans mounts. My engine mounts mostly due to my car being 135k km old and I don't know if they've ever been done. Also, when watching my crank pulley it appears to have a slight wiggle at idle, which I think might actually be engine movement as it is stock and I'm lead to believe that stock pulleys are typically fine.

With the trans mount, how can I tell if that is due? When I am beating on the car, I find that the gear stick rocks back and forth maybe 10mm. Enough if you have your hand on it, that it is noticeable. I've not noticed it on other cars before.

Is there a visual inspection of the engine and trans mounts I can do? Or is it typical that until they are out and I take the case off them I won't know if they are busted or not?

I don't have any idle vibrations, well none that I'm aware of. But it might be one of those things that you don't realise it is there until it is gone.

Cheers for any tips.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Open the hood. Then, start the car, put it in drive, and hold the brake with your left foot while giving it a little gas. If your engine mounts are bad, you'll see quite a bit of engine movement. If you change them, I'd do the transmission mount just because I've heard it's relatively cheap and easy.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:09 AM

04 E55
Fair enough, I'll give it a whirl. Might be forced to do a set of headers at the same time. Practically making money that way.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Hey All.

I am thinking of replacing my engine and trans mounts. My engine mounts mostly due to my car being 135k km old and I don't know if they've ever been done. Also, when watching my crank pulley it appears to have a slight wiggle at idle, which I think might actually be engine movement as it is stock and I'm lead to believe that stock pulleys are typically fine.

With the trans mount, how can I tell if that is due? When I am beating on the car, I find that the gear stick rocks back and forth maybe 10mm. Enough if you have your hand on it, that it is noticeable. I've not noticed it on other cars before.

Is there a visual inspection of the engine and trans mounts I can do? Or is it typical that until they are out and I take the case off them I won't know if they are busted or not?

I don't have any idle vibrations, well none that I'm aware of. But it might be one of those things that you don't realise it is there until it is gone.

Cheers for any tips.
Your crank pulley or vibration dampner may be separating. Very common problem with 112 113 NA motors.

Sure if you want to abuse you trans put it in gear and powerbrake it.

Or you could get out of your vehicle, open your hood, grab your oil filter housing and jouist the engine side to side. If the whole car shakes, mounts are collapsed-if engine wiggles on mounts they are okay. For your trans mount, if you arent lowered and can wiggle underneath the car, simply pull down on your driveshaft at the the trans mount, if it has up and down play, good! if not, collapsed.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
04 E55 AMG
I changed both mine was a night and day difference. I wrote up a nice diy. Also I posted a video on YouTube showing the motor lift up because of the bad mounts. Use the search function tons of info here.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by cmriv
Sure if you want to abuse you trans put it in gear and powerbrake it.
If you consider that as abuse, you would not like to see what happens at a drag strip.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:51 AM

04 E55
Power braking saw no noticeable engine movement. Slight rock but nothing crazy. Grabbing the filter, the engine will move on its own about 10-15mm then the car moves too.

So unsure what that means!

Still more interested in the trans though. How much rocking through the gear lever do you get?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
04 E55 AMG
motor mount video

w211 engine mounts: https://youtu.be/A0uRU081MVA

This is abnormal movement. If it's anything like this replace your mounts. My car was really rough at idle now it's smooth as butter.