W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axel level sensor implausible (headlights)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Front axel level sensor implausible (headlights)

Ok my headlights don't move up or down and seem to be in the lowest position.

Ran a scan came back with:

Front axel level sensor b22/2 signal from component implausible

Where is it located and does any one have a part number?

Suspension level is fine btw....
Old 12-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
http://mb.mikekantor.com/star_finder...rt_finder.html

select B22/2 from the drop down menu. Picture looks like the rear sensor
Old 12-02-2015, 12:31 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Cheers shardul when I select it, it shows front of the car on the pic?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:32 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
check both the level sensor on the front struts to begin with then go to the back sensor
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 AM

Mercedes E220 W211
Problem with B22/2 left headlight (XALWA-L)

Hello !

I saw that you had a problem with your headlight: "b22/2 signal from component implausible"

I have with my Mercedes W211 exactly the same problem, and it seems because of that the low beam of the left headlight doesn't work.

I've been looking everywhere and there is no B22/2 on the car
Now after few days the entire XALWA Module don't respond on CAN (missing on SAM'driver and can't connect with SD Connect).

The power goes correctly to the headlight, so I'm thinking to change the calculator module but I'm not sure if it will solve my problem.

Can you tell me how you solved your problem?

Best regards.
Mr Constantin, from France.

Originally Posted by MaLicE
Ok my headlights don't move up or down and seem to be in the lowest position.

Ran a scan came back with:

Front axel level sensor b22/2 signal from component implausible

Where is it located and does any one have a part number?

Suspension level is fine btw....
Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 778 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Sensor designations do not always match depending upon the source. My documentation shows:
B22/3 rear level sensor
B22/8 left front axle level sensor
B22/9 right front axle level sensor

The front sensors are attached to the front upper swingarms.
The rear sensor is attached to the rear stabilizer bar (aka "Sway bar" or "anti-sway bar"). This is the sensor used to adjust headlights.

If the right side headlight adjusts, it is not the level sensor B22/3, it is a problem with the left side headlight module.
Attached Thumbnails Front axel level sensor implausible (headlights)-b22-3.jpg  
Old 05-28-2022, 04:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
W212 E550 4Matic, W211 E55 AMG
Hi guys,

My drivers side headlight isn't auto levelling. The passenger side works fine. I am getting B22-2 (Front axle level sensor) Implausible. I have no airmatic problems. Is there only one sensor in the front or two? I am assuming the left one is bad? Is this possible with no codes for the airmatic? I am just waiting for all my parts for a projector retrofit so I need to take care of this problem?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-16-2024, 01:43 PM

2005 E320 4matic Wagon
Auto-leveling headlights failed independently

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Sensor designations do not always match depending upon the source. My documentation shows:
B22/3 rear level sensor
B22/8 left front axle level sensor
B22/9 right front axle level sensor

The front sensors are attached to the front upper swingarms.
The rear sensor is attached to the rear stabilizer bar (aka "Sway bar" or "anti-sway bar"). This is the sensor used to adjust headlights.

If the right side headlight adjusts, it is not the level sensor B22/3, it is a problem with the left side headlight module.
I know this is an old thread. Sorry. But I've been dealing with the same issue with both my healights for a few years now. The once sporadic, now full failure of the auto-leveling (virtually always aimed at the ground) has always been independent. From your post, it sounds as though that means the problem is in the headlight, not any/either of the level sensors at the axles. If that's the case, are you aware of any way to troubleshoot or repair the headlight, or is it something that can only be remedied by replacing the entire headlight assembly? I REALLY need to do this repair,and I do love this car, but spending approx $750 each for two headlights, on a 19-year-old car with 230K miles, is very difficult to justify. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 778 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Barndoggy
I know this is an old thread. Sorry. But I've been dealing with the same issue with both my healights for a few years now. The once sporadic, now full failure of the auto-leveling (virtually always aimed at the ground) has always been independent. From your post, it sounds as though that means the problem is in the headlight, not any/either of the level sensors at the axles. If that's the case, are you aware of any way to troubleshoot or repair the headlight, or is it something that can only be remedied by replacing the entire headlight assembly? I REALLY need to do this repair,and I do love this car, but spending approx $750 each for two headlights, on a 19-year-old car with 230K miles, is very difficult to justify. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
If both headlights are pointing at the ground, I would say it is the level sensor on the rear sway bar. The pivot points do go bad and the sensor arm can disconnect. Inspect the sensor on the rear sway bar first.
Worst case, disconnect the level sensor, then adjust both headlights using the level adjustments, and leave them as is (no auto-leveling). You will get an error code on the diagnostics but not a CEL.
I feel your pain as I spent $1256 for a pair of replacement headlights...
Old 01-16-2024, 04:07 PM

2005 E320 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
If both headlights are pointing at the ground, I would say it is the level sensor on the rear sway bar. The pivot points do go bad and the sensor arm can disconnect. Inspect the sensor on the rear sway bar first.
Worst case, disconnect the level sensor, then adjust both headlights using the level adjustments, and leave them as is (no auto-leveling). You will get an error code on the diagnostics but not a CEL.
I feel your pain as I spent $1256 for a pair of replacement headlights...
Thanks for the quick response! However, the headlights failed (and on the rare occasion that they do work) independently. So I don't see how it could be the rear sensor, as that should mean they would fail simultaneously.

I failed to mention that my W211 is a wagon, which has auto-leveling rear suspension. I believe the rear auto-leveling is controlled by the level sensor on the rear sway bar, and that system is working properly. So if that sensor also controls the headlight leveling, it shouldn't be the cause of my headlight issue (and if I disconnect it, my auto-leveling suspension won't work.)

I just learned from a similar post on another MB blog that there's a level-sensor on the front suspension, too, but I haven't had a chance to locate and check it. I also hadn't realized there was a manual level adjustment on the headlights (which... duh! Of course there would be!) so haven't monkeyed with that yet, either. Hopefully between the front level-sensor and level adjustment on the headlights, I'll have some success!

Last edited by Barndoggy; 01-16-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 410 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
The front has 2 level sensors, one on each side. See my vid. If they work properly, then do a reset using a computer on the headlights.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:13 PM

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
Proper way to check would be to check the voltage reading with xentry and see if they change, when you move the lever of the sensor. If your sensors are working fine, it's likely an issue with your headlight. You can tell the headlight to move up and down with xentry and check if that works. If there's an issue with headlights itself you can open them up and inspect them. It happens that the wiring in the headlight breaks. This would be the most cost effective way to diagnose and fix everything. I rebuilt my headlights for less than 100€. I got the glasses and lenses from China. They perform better than new stock headlights.
The following users liked this post:
nd-photo.nl (01-18-2024)