W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

AirRide just died in the back - not a good way to start with the new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2016 | 06:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
AirRide just died in the back - not a good way to start with the new car

I just took delivery of my 2006 E55 three nights ago. Prior to delivering the car to me, the dealer (BMW dealer took it in trade on a M5) didn't like the way the car lowered itself while parked for a few days. They did the right thing, delayed delivery, and replaced both rear air bags with MB manufactured ones. The car was running great until today.

I had a slow leak on the passenger rear tire, so I took the car to the local tire place to have that taken care of. They jacked up the car, took care of the issue, and lowered the car, and off I went. I noticed immediately that the "visit workshop" light was on, with the car with up arrow in it displayed. The rear of the car is very low on both sides, with the fenderwell opening just about 3/4" above the top of the rim.

Pressing the rise button does nothing. I do notice that each time I open the drivers door, I hear a loud, fairly aggressive whoosh of air coming from somewhere around the drivers side rear wheel, which is the opposite side of the car from the one that was jacked up. The whoosh of air only lasts for about 3 to 5 seconds, making is very hard to determine where it's coming from. If I close the door and reopen it, it doesn't happen. I have to close the door and wait a while, then it'll happen again.

I'm stumped, any ideas? I'm in Houston, the dealer is in Denver. I'd rather try to fix it here if it's something simple than get involved in a long term problem with the dealer in Denver.

To make matters worse, I leave tomorrow with the wife on a 7 day cruise. Obviously, telling her we can't go because the car is broken is not a very smart thing to do!

Guess what I'll be thinking about the whole cruise??
Old 01-09-2016 | 08:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
That's a *******. My first guess is that since both sides were replace and both sides are down, and the odds of both failing so quickly are super small. If you have a jack I'd get the car up and a bottle of soapy water. Start spraying down those airmatic lines to see if it is just a leak at a connector. Could be a simple job of tightening one of those up. If you run the car too long with the pump constantly working you run the risk of the on burning out your airmatic pump. Which is a greater ******* than the current problem.

It is possible that when the car was raised to have the rear tyre fitted they bent the mount that the rear sensor sits on telling the car what is level. Google/search here for the rear airmatic sensor height doozie thing, and you might get in some luck that way.

I don't know if the same thing applies in the US, but we have fairly got consumer laws here protecting you from issues like this. Seeing as how you just bought the car the dealer if they like it or not would be obliged to repair it free of cost. I don't know how far about where you and the dealer are but maybe a phone call to discuss something - a local mechanic they use or recommend to do the work?

Last edited by sexyxe; 01-09-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2016 | 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Drop it off at Ted's for a coil over conversion while you're on you cruise.
Old 01-10-2016 | 12:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
Drop it off at Ted's for a coil over conversion while you're on you cruise.
Too late to do that before the cruise, we leave early tomorrow. I'm interested in knowing who Ted is, though. Where is his shop and what does he do?

I've spoken with the dealer who sold me the car in Denver and they're saying all the right things so far about getting this taken care of here in Houston. Hopefully I have some answers when I get back.
Old 01-10-2016 | 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Doug427
Too late to do that before the cruise, we leave early tomorrow. I'm interested in knowing who Ted is, though. Where is his shop and what does he do?

I've spoken with the dealer who sold me the car in Denver and they're saying all the right things so far about getting this taken care of here in Houston. Hopefully I have some answers when I get back.
Being that a BMW dealer did the work, obviously without MB experience, I'm going to wager they installed the new rear bags without tightening the lower bag bolts with the proper angle on the lower bag pivot. This will result in the brand new bags being destroyed, and thus leaking air. This is a common mistake made when installing new rear bags.
Old 01-10-2016 | 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
The odds of the tire shop bending the rear bracket for the sensor is incredibly small. That's a thick bracket and is not near a jacking point. Also the bracket is just off center on the driver's side of the vehicle, which is opposite of the side the tire shop worked on.
Old 01-10-2016 | 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Being that a BMW dealer did the work, obviously without MB experience, I'm going to wager they installed the new rear bags without tightening the lower bag bolts with the proper angle on the lower bag pivot. This will result in the brand new bags being destroyed, and thus leaking air. This is a common mistake made when installing new rear bags.
this, or they took the hose clamp off of the chamber to install the springs without dropping the subframe, then the hose blew off. I've seen non mb shops do this too.
Old 01-10-2016 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Originally Posted by Doug427

There's a few good shops around. Ted @Europower, Jerry and the gang @Eurocharged, Travis @Motorwerks
Old 01-10-2016 | 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,015 Likes on 788 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Set your suspension on Sport 1 or Sport 2. This closes the solenoid valve to the external reservoir. If the leak appears to stop, it is most likely the hose between the air bag and the external reservoir; standard hose clamps will not seal that connection and it requires a wide-band high-torque clamp. I've posted on this.
If the leak continues, check the air line where it connects to the shock (not as likely based upon your statement of "loud whooshing for 3 or 4 seconds". If that is not it, as post #5 stated, it could be they inflated the air bag without first raising the rear wheel to the -1.2 degrees camber as stated in the maintenance documentation.
Repair it ASAP or you run the risk of burning out the suspension's air compressor under the front left bumper.
Old 01-10-2016 | 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Set your suspension on Sport 1 or Sport 2. This closes the solenoid valve to the external reservoir. If the leak appears to stop, it is most likely the hose between the air bag and the external reservoir; standard hose clamps will not seal that connection and it requires a wide-band high-torque clamp. I've posted on this.
If the leak continues, check the air line where it connects to the shock (not as likely based upon your statement of "loud whooshing for 3 or 4 seconds". If that is not it, as post #5 stated, it could be they inflated the air bag without first raising the rear wheel to the -1.2 degrees camber as stated in the maintenance documentation.
Repair it ASAP or you run the risk of burning out the suspension's air compressor under the front left bumper.
This. Mine leaks very little in sport mode. OP enjoy your vacation!! Your car will be there when you get back
Old 01-11-2016 | 02:20 AM

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey

Originally Posted by stockC43
this, or they took the hose clamp off of the chamber to install the springs without dropping the subframe, then the hose blew off. I've seen non mb shops do this too.

Or dropping the car all the way before getting air in there and pinching the bag. If its a defective part you should be able to parts warranty through local benz dealer