W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Can someone explain what purpose the surge tanks serve?
Your probably know more than I do but I figure it's just a fancy term for intake manifold (post intercooler/pre intake runners)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
^^^ Yup pretty much
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by EREBUS
The back side of both surge tanks where the intakes tubes are located were cut off and welded with a plate on each side. I placed an extra MAP sensor on the passenger side and an extra IAT sensor on the driver side. I left the original map sensor and IAT sensor in their factory locations to keep the holes closed. I can switch back and forth to test the efficiency of the set up.
I always wondered if the back of the surge tanks were shaped only with space constraints in mind or if there was a reason for a taller ceiling than the inlet tube. Potentially, loading air into the surge tanks in a way unlike stock is what was making the early top mount attempts so difficult to tune. Obviously if you've cut that all away and it's not fumbling under load then that's not the case. Good work
Old 03-04-2016, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Thanks for your contribution! You're right it does look like horse ****. But, daam I bet it hauls *** with those IATS. Yea you lost a little boost but, holding that ignition timing from going full retard. I suppose is the key! Never go full retard.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by rockthemullet
I always wondered if the back of the surge tanks were shaped only with space constraints in mind or if there was a reason for a taller ceiling than the inlet tube. Potentially, loading air into the surge tanks in a way unlike stock is what was making the early top mount attempts so difficult to tune. Obviously if you've cut that all away and it's not fumbling under load then that's not the case. Good work
That too, was my biggest worry. I originally had a 2" section of aluminum honeycomb before the surge tanks to assist with turbulence (laminar flow project with my son). Had a hard time securing it (had to use epoxy) and decided to cut and weld multiple 1/2" thin walled tubing to make a stronger flow stabilizer. I was tired of waiting on them to be finished and decided to proceed without it and test it. The intercooler cores smoothed the flow enough to avoid using my "stabilizer".

These are the first surge tanks hacked. If you notice, both back bolts are close to being removed to save space. Fabricator got a little excited and welded the holes (we talked on how he could save the holes and to modify the one intercooler inlet to allow access to its bolt. He forgot. lol) I went ahead and experimented with this to see if a good Loctite gasket maker and factory gasket would hold the pressure. It did. Not ideal.....but it worked.

The plates are AWESOME for whatever sensors that you would like to use.
Attached Thumbnails Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....-test-sample-1.jpg   Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....-test-surge-sample-1.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk
Have you done before and after runs with vbox?
I need to!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Max.H
Yea you lost a little boost but, holding that ignition timing from going full retard. I suppose is the key! Never go full retard.

Too late. I'm full time, now.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,083 Likes on 870 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Lower boost can be a function of better flow or cooler air depending on where the boost reading is taken. You can have lower boost but more power so boost is not really the best measurement to determine how well this modification works.

Is boost measured at the intake port or is it measured between the supercharger and intercooler on the 55k or after the intercooler? IAT and boost would be an applicable measurement for this test.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Lower boost can be a function of better flow or cooler air depending on where the boost reading is taken. You can have lower boost but more power so boost is not really the best measurement to determine how well this modification works.

Is boost measured at the intake port or is it measured between the supercharger and intercooler on the 55k or after the intercooler? IAT and boost would be an applicable measurement for this test.
Both the map and IAT sensors are placed on the back plate modification on the surge tanks. The psi and temp readings are as true as a reading could be......three inches from the intake port directly to the valves!

On a side note.........lets talk meth/water injection. My battle for IAT control is pretty much over now. I have a 8 gph meth/water nozzle pre-supercharger and two 3gph (one per side, of course) nozzles right after the top mount intercooler core. 75% water to meth dropped my 20 degrees above ambient heak soak to 8 degrees above ambient up to 150 mph. Outside temp was 68 degrees.

Maybe some of you all figured out how to control your IAT's up to this point......but I haven't until now. Dialing in my meth/water pressure and experimenting with different nozzles could actually get me below ambient while racing without ice. That's my goal and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I'll be watching this. I'd try it if I had regular access to a fabricator. I know a really good one, but he isn't cheap.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Jetta TDI [Daily] , Audi A8L [Sold], '12 STI [Sold], '06 E55 [Sold], '05 S500, '15 GLA250
Would love more build progress pics! I'd love a fun summer project
Old 03-07-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 AMG E55
I guess I'm a geek like that, but for a prototype it looks really good!

If that set up did not work the SLR would not come with twin coolers from the factory.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Would an even larger U shaped intercooler fit?
Or would yet another intercooler fit by replacing the metal tubes going on the outside?

Underhood intake is not so bad since intercooler is much more efficient.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Denroll
I'll be watching this. I'd try it if I had regular access to a fabricator. I know a really good one, but he isn't cheap.

I'm with you on this, brother. My fabricator is not full time and recently declined to fabricate my future projects. Apparently, I'm too picky. Whatever. lol (The guy is a good friend of mine) I wished I had the time and proper channels to put this system together for people......but I don't. I might hand this over to the powers of Anthony Lawshee and Shardul to make it what it should be. I'm throwing sh*t together with the help of other's past failures, ideas from the experienced and reading up on the basic physics of the task at hand. (trial and error, of course) I have dumped thousands in this project with hundreds of hours that I can't get back.

As you all can tell by my pic......that set-up is ugly, bulky and a complete hack job. Let me add for the record, that set -up is the first working prototype. lol

Let me explain why I haven't shown you all the details of this system yet.....

1) I have 14 intercooler pipes that are joined together by 4-ply couplers.....not properly welded.

2) That set-up is so tight in the engine bay that you have to gently close the hood. Like stand on the hood until it latches kinda gentle?

3) I'm running a heat exchanger 1/5th of the size of the factory's heat exchanger for TWO intercoolers that are EACH the same size as factory? (my cruising IATs are @4 degrees higher because of this)

4) I'm running one intercooler pump for TWO intercoolers.

5) The intercooler hoses are thrown together and are not good for water flow

6) Reservoir for the factory intercooler? Its made out of sewage pvc and a pressure testing cap. Yeah, some things you can't unread.

7) 3" round intake tubes in the pic are too big and not worth the space they hog up. (currently rubbing against firewall fuel line grommet) Currently working on options of 3" oval stainless or 2.75" round aluminum tubing for better fitment

8) I need to find out if the W219 engine bay is identical to you all's W211.

April 2nd will be put up or shut-up time for me. Let's see if this can work in mid to low 90 degree humid weather for a ***** to the wall mile run. My runs have not been in those temps and not up to 180 mph, yet.......

Last edited by EREBUS; 03-08-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
[QUOTE=EREBUS;6731078]I'm with you on this, brother. My fabricator is not full time and recently declined to fabricate my future projects. Apparently, I'm too picky. Whatever. lol

LMAO I wonder why he would say that. jk

You deserve a lot of credit, done what others only talked about. Try to get some video action from your next outing!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
That too, was my biggest worry. I originally had a 2" section of aluminum honeycomb before the surge tanks to assist with turbulence (laminar flow project with my son). Had a hard time securing it (had to use epoxy) and decided to cut and weld multiple 1/2" thin walled tubing to make a stronger flow stabilizer. I was tired of waiting on them to be finished and decided to proceed without it and test it. The intercooler cores smoothed the flow enough to avoid using my "stabilizer".

These are the first surge tanks hacked. If you notice, both back bolts are close to being removed to save space. Fabricator got a little excited and welded the holes (we talked on how he could save the holes and to modify the one intercooler inlet to allow access to its bolt. He forgot. lol) I went ahead and experimented with this to see if a good Loctite gasket maker and factory gasket would hold the pressure. It did. Not ideal.....but it worked.

The plates are AWESOME for whatever sensors that you would like to use.
I think the pictures look great for a working model. If you made another one I would consider sliding a bushing through the tube and welding the top and bottom to run that rear fastener.

Originally Posted by BlownV8

He's currently running both the stock intercooler and the two uppers so the pressure drop should have been expected... even the most efficient intercooler on the market has a pressure drop. If he gutted the stock intercooler and kept the other two intact, the pressure drop would decrease.

3) I'm running a heat exchanger 1/5th of the size of the factory's heat exchanger for TWO intercoolers that are EACH the same size as factory? (my cruising IATs are @4 degrees higher because of this)

4) I'm running one intercooler pump for TWO intercoolers.

Just goes to show where the bottleneck truly was, and how little all other cooling mods have done

7) 3" round intake tubes in the pic are too big and not worth the space they hog up. (currently rubbing against firewall fuel line grommet) Currently working on options of 3" oval stainless or 2.75" round aluminum tubing for better fitment

I would calculate the optimal volume based on the throttle body used. The throttle body is the air restriction so it will dictate your tubing size
I'm (lazily) working on a similar project. I'll post results as well but I expect them to be in line with the work you've done so far
Old 03-08-2016, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
8) I need to find out if the W219 engine bay is identical to you all's W211.
The big issue with the W211 engine bay is the damn firewall. It is so tight right there behind the throttle body. I made my y-pipe out of silicone so I can actually install it. It does look like there is room to, ahem, reshape it with a ball peen hammer. The metal also looks thin enough to be able to be notched with some tin shears or a cutting wheel. That's my last resort because I can't just undo that.

Oh, your hood clearance issue, do you still have the hood blanket in there?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:38 PM

If you made another one I would consider sliding a bushing through the tube and welding the top and bottom to run that rear fastener.
You're spot on with your idea. Most likely it was the six pack of beer before welding that caused him to forget about the damn hole. lol

This pic (below) is what we were using to duplicate bolt channel.(exactly what you said to do)

I'm (lazily) working on a similar project. I'll post results as well but I expect them to be in line with the work you've done so far
Dual heat exchangers or top mount intercoolers? Either way, ask away on what NOT to do. I've have tons of failures to assist you on. lol
Attached Thumbnails Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....-top-mount.jpg  
Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM

The big issue with the W211 engine bay is the damn firewall. It is so tight right there behind the throttle body. I made my y-pipe out of silicone so I can actually install it. It does look like there is room to, ahem, reshape it with a ball peen hammer. The metal also looks thin enough to be able to be notched with some tin shears or a cutting wheel. That's my last resort because I can't just undo that.
Mine is hacked all to hell. lol

Tin shears work awesome, for the record

Oh, your hood clearance issue, do you still have the hood blanket in there?
Yeah, I'm afraid to remove it and have the engine heat mess up the paint. Removing it would allow the hood to close without an issue, though. Should I?
Attached Thumbnails Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....-hacked-fire-wall.jpg  
Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by HeissRod
Why do you have rags covering the coolers in the pic?
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
More photos!
Originally Posted by mkiv_tdi
Would love more build progress pics! I'd love a fun summer project

My fabricator decided he does not want to do this for production. Lazy comes to mind?

So here you go with what I'm working with. These intercoolers have the Bell Intercooler cores. The Chinese cores are not even close in quality to the Bell's. lol

I will be breaking it all down for the red powder coating tonight and will post more pictures when I put it all back together.
Attached Thumbnails Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....-bell-core-prototype.jpg  
Old 03-08-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
looks bad *** too me

looks like an iron lung with a jarvic 7 on it

Last edited by a100steaksauce; 03-08-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by a100steaksauce
looks bad *** too me
Thank you, brother!
Originally Posted by a100steaksauce
looks like an iron lung with a jarvic 7 on it
Now that you mention it. lol
The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Take off the hood blanket it will not mess up the paint
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Yeah, I'm afraid to remove it and have the engine heat mess up the paint. Removing it would allow the hood to close without an issue, though. Should I?
I've had mine off for over two years. It's a black car and has been through two AZ summers without the blanket with no side effects. I also removed that plastic rain guard from the vents. While sitting still, I can sometimes actually see the heat coming out of the vents, like it is an actual vent now.

How much extra room did you make with the metal shears? I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one afraid to try out a hair-brained idea.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk
Take off the hood blanket it will not mess up the paint
I've had mine off for over two years. It's a black car and has been through two AZ summers without the blanket with no side effects.
It's settled, then. Off if comes.

I also removed that plastic rain guard from the vents. While sitting still, I can sometimes actually see the heat coming out of the vents, like it is an actual vent now.
I had to remove mine for the craptech engine intercooler tank. You can definitely see the heat pour out of those vents.

How much extra room did you make with the metal shears? I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one afraid to try out a hair-brained idea.
I removed the entire bend of the first fire wall. lol

I will take pictures tonight and post them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stop drinking the cool-aid on top mount intercoolers.....