No power and engine stumble at WOT???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2016 | 10:26 PM

2004 E55 AMG
No power and engine stumble at WOT???

Car:

2004 E55 AMG.

Let me first say that I have been reading older threads on here, and I cannot find anyone describing the sensation I have of the engine bucking when it goes WOT.
Also you should know that I replaced both the heat exchanger with a larger unit from Shardul, and the h/e pump with a new Bosch 010 last year. I have not driven the car very much since then due to other problems, but everything seemed to be fine during recent driving.

The other problem was a throttle body. Car was down for a while, but ran fine after I installed a new throttle body, (supercharger seemed to be working properly) up until last Sunday.
On Sunday I ran the car pretty hard (just spirited street driving) for an hour or so, and then parked it. When I came back to drive it, the car would start, idle, and run part throttle just fine. However, as soon as I press the gas pedal to the floor and engage the switch under the pedal that usually makes things exciting the engine revs up, but I don't feel much acceleration, it feels as though the supercharger is not working due to the extreme lack of power, and then I get a surging and bucking sensation from the engine(?) which I find somewhat scary. It kind of feels like someone is applying the brakes while the engine is trying to go WOT.
Any suggestions?

Also, I have STAR, but am a newby when it comes to using it. I would be happy to scan for anything as directed by someone who knows what to do.

Thank you for any help you may provide. I appreciate your time!
Old 03-16-2016 | 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Hook it up and run a "quick test" see what codes come up in the engine and transmission modules as well as esp.
Old 03-22-2016 | 08:01 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Here are the results of the STAR DAS quick test before clearing all codes...
Attached Thumbnails No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode_page_1.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode_page_2.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode_page_3.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode_page_4.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode_page_5.jpg  

No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode_page_6.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016 | 08:03 PM

2004 E55 AMG
...And after clearing all codes

(Sorry for the double post)
Attached Thumbnails No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode-retest-after-clearing-codes_page_1.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode-retest-after-clearing-codes_page_2.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode-retest-after-clearing-codes_page_3.jpg   No power and engine stumble at WOT???-das-final-quick-test-3-15-16-limp-mode-retest-after-clearing-codes_page_4.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016 | 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Looks like you might need a new transmission control unit
Old 03-22-2016 | 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Probably transmission fluid wicked it way up into the TCU and damaged it. Thankfully it's a simple fix for the TCU, just get another one from an E55 and it'll plug and play no programming needed.

You will need to fix the leaking transmission.

Search for how to remove TCU, pull the TCU and see if it's wet anywhere on or around it.
Old 03-22-2016 | 10:00 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Probably transmission fluid wicked it way up into the TCU and damaged it. Thankfully it's a simple fix for the TCU, just get another one from an E55 and it'll plug and play no programming needed.

You will need to fix the leaking transmission.

Search for how to remove TCU, pull the TCU and see if it's wet anywhere on or around it.
I noticed the tcu problem. Just curious if it could cause the sensation of the engine working really hard at wot, followed by the engine bucking and little to no exceleration?
Old 03-23-2016 | 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Yes a malfunctioning TCU can do that. Fix that asap