W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Quest for lower AIT...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
Aquamist .7mm nozzle pre-IAT post IC, 50-50 w/m, -15% IDC gain, dump a point of fuel, enjoy sub-ambient IAT's and a kick in the pants at 42% IDC.
The following users liked this post:
Crissus (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016 | 02:54 AM

Subies
Originally Posted by EREBUS
I have one that I will gladly mail to anyone if their interested.
Same here.
and I'm hoping to see any information on your deleted stock cooler and upgraded charge air cooler?

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-04-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2016 | 05:56 PM

2006 E55
Good video on install and test drive observing AIT's.

Also, who is this cat? He has multiple video's posted and very knowledgeable...

Old 05-06-2016 | 07:59 PM

Subies
Can ANYONE on here show me where they upgraded the actual charge air cooler by deleting it and adding in a larger one with proof of positive results? I truly would like to tackle this some day, but would rather see what others - if any - have done.
Old 05-06-2016 | 08:30 PM

clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by 95ONE
Can ANYONE on here show me where they upgraded the actual charge air cooler by deleting it and adding in a larger one with proof of positive results? I truly would like to tackle this some day, but would rather see what others - if any - have done.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...nt+intercooler

This set up is more than a product install......its a complete fabrication and modification project. Factory intercooler is intact and used to take the blunt of the heat. (Three water to air intercoolers drops up to 1.8 psi)

Just finished installing the other intercooler pump and the extra heat exchanger. (three pumps. three intercoolers. three heat exchangers)

I will post new pics and data in the next day or two. Found out some interesting data, actually.

Last edited by EREBUS; 05-06-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2016 | 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I think that looks cool. Well thought out. What did you build the Y pipe out of?

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 05-07-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2016 | 01:07 PM

Subies

This set up is more than a product install......its a complete fabrication and modification project. Factory intercooler is intact and used to take the blunt of the heat. (Three water to air intercoolers drops up to 1.8 psi)

Just finished installing the other intercooler pump and the extra heat exchanger. (three pumps. three intercoolers. three heat exchangers)

I will post new pics and data in the next day or two. Found out some interesting data, actually.

ROFL on the coolaid title. I look forward to your info. And a serious thank you for posting.

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-07-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2016 | 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
I think that looks cool. Well thought out. What did you build the Y pipe out of?
I bought a 3" aluminum mandrel bend piece off feebay and hacked the living hell out of it. Used a straight piece of 3 1/2" aluminum for coupler to throttle body.(I'm waiting on my friend to CAD the build so others can duplicate it) I/We have NO room next to the firewall so the branch off y tubes are only 1 1/2"...ish long on both sides. I used a 90 degree 4 ply 3" intercooler coupler.....cut in half.......to finish the proper bend to the intake tubes. Less than stellar, looks.....but it works. lol
Old 05-08-2016 | 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Might look rough in person, but it looks clean in pics.
Old 05-09-2016 | 12:44 AM

What IAT's do you see in the 1/2 mile and longer with outside temps 85+ degrees? I'm curious? I would have 57 degree IAT's at staging (using ice) and would blow past 130 degrees with 12 gph meth/water nozzles before I get the 1/2 mile mark with track temps @85. (15-16psi)
For all you killer chiller advocates that were avoiding to answer my question? Never mind. So the video posted here shows 62 degree IAT that jumps to 93 degree IAT in less than a 4 second WOT? Well, the good thing about cool-aid is that it comes in many flavors? lol

So let's get this straight. You're using meth/water to help with IAT's while the A/C shuts off? But you are using the factory IAT location that limits the amount of meth/water you can use? If that is the case, this set-up is bullsh*t for ANY type of race past a 1/4 mile.

Let's say you move the IAT sensor like I stated and used the killer chiller......what about the cabin A/C cooling efficiency? We hit over 50 days of 100+ degree temps every summer here in Texas. Why would I make people sweat for something that really doesn't work?

Originally Posted by black06c230
Forget the HE.

Split. Killer Chiller with trunk tank. Meth. DONE.
Forget the killer chiller.

Split. HE with trunk tank. Relocate IAT sensor. Meth. DONE.
The following users liked this post:
Crissus (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016 | 03:25 AM

2006 E55 AMG
KC is by no means a complete answer (or anything close to a complete answer) to the heat dilemma. I would imagine that if you track your car and are using a trunk tank packed with ice on each run, the KC will have no impact at all. On my set up and for my purposes, however, the KC is beneficial. I don't track my car. On the street the KC reduces my cruising IATs by anywhere between 5 - 10 degrees Celsius. That benefit is carried through to a WOT run as my IATs at the end will also be5 to 10 degrees lower than they would otherwise have been. So it's usefulness depends on the use to which you put your car, I guess

For all you killer chiller advocates that were avoiding to answer my question? Never mind. So the video posted here shows 62 degree IAT that jumps to 93 degree IAT in less than a 4 second WOT? Well, the good thing about cool-aid is that it comes in many flavors? lol

So let's get this straight. You're using meth/water to help with IAT's while the A/C shuts off? But you are using the factory IAT location that limits the amount of meth/water you can use? If that is the case, this set-up is bullsh*t for ANY type of race past a 1/4 mile.

Let's say you move the IAT sensor like I stated and used the killer chiller......what about the cabin A/C cooling efficiency? We hit over 50 days of 100+ degree temps every summer here in Texas. Why would I make people sweat for something that really doesn't work?

Forget the killer chiller.

Split. HE with trunk tank. Relocate IAT sensor. Meth. DONE.
Old 05-09-2016 | 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ajm55
KC is by no means a complete answer (or anything close to a complete answer) to the heat dilemma. I would imagine that if you track your car and are using a trunk tank packed with ice on each run, the KC will have no impact at all. On my set up and for my purposes, however, the KC is beneficial. I don't track my car. On the street the KC reduces my cruising IATs by anywhere between 5 - 10 degrees Celsius. That benefit is carried through to a WOT run as my IATs at the end will also be5 to 10 degrees lower than they would otherwise have been. So it's usefulness depends on the use to which you put your car, I guess
I have built and tested a contained 12v killer chiller that was not using the factory A/C system. It, needless to say, didn't really work that well. lol

I was still fighting the factory intercooler inefficiency (and other things). I believe a killer chiller would be a great choice for someone who doesn't live in extreme heat environments and was using 13 lbs of boost or less.......with meth/water.

On a side, note?

Hack job would be putting it nicely on my project. Lets just say it started off with a RV a/c system using a beer cooling chiller and ended up using a portable 12v ice chest compressor with a custom coil system to chill the water.

Problems?

1) weight. like 50+ lbs of it.
2) room. the whole spare tire compartment was used
3) current. the compressor and condenser fan were thirsty
4) air flow. not much of it for condenser (system would freeze up)
5) noise. it was horrible. lol

I knew going into the project it was a stupid idea. The amount of failure this project gave me would of brought out all the sh*t talkers on MBWorld. lol
Old 05-09-2016 | 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Should have posted it anyway. It's an interesting failure, and you don't seem like the sensitive type.
Old 05-09-2016 | 08:13 PM

Should have posted it anyway. It's an interesting failure.
Agreed, I should of. I will do one better, actually. I'm half way done composing a thread of all the "secrets" of this platform. I will post a new project of a separate 12v killer chiller with my intercooler set-up for all to see. Failures included.

What secrets? Well........

1) Comparison of my 20" wheels/factory brakes to a much lighter set up. Why? Because some here have a much lighter set up than others and we overlook it on a regular basis. Trust me, it helps more than many may know in speeds/times.
2) Aerodynamics. Areas of improvement that make a difference. Big difference.
3) Weight and what it is costing some of us.
4) Gears. 265.282.306
5) Factory supercharger point of overspinning (heat)
6) Cooling. (This, will be fun)
7) Carbon Fiber driveshaft. It helps more than that is told. How if it's only @ 7lbs lighter? Hint? Friction.....
8) Injectors
9) Torque convertors
10) Squealing supercharger belt? I've got a fix.
11) Learn to work with different tire/wheel diameters to effect your gear ratios.

With all my "secrets" revealed.........why I'm I slower than a lot of you? Choose your poison. Just info/experience to share. Once its all done/installed/modified.....you are at the mercy of track prep/temps/altitude/wind and luck. It's funny though, a lot of factors are left out when members brag here. Just saying.

you don't seem like the sensitive type.
Trust me, I'm not. I tend to enjoy the banter. Unfortunately, many here don't. lol
Old 05-10-2016 | 02:23 AM

2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Can't wait for the "secret" thread to come out!