Octane booster safe levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by compaddict
Been there, done that.
Used Q16 for the longest time with great results, could really stretch out high RPM advance.
His question is about fuel additives and the possibility of ECU adaptation. Octane levels he is looking to get will not happen with octane boosters he can buy. If racing fuel is not available, my option is.

On that note, there would be no way in hell can you just add an oxygenated leaded fuel and flip a tune at the track. Besides, leaded fuels start destroying afr probes and o2 sensors in the first 5 gallons. Been there, done that. lol

Originally Posted by compaddict
Then E85 came around in USA. Same results one tenth the cost.
I wouldn't even trust a basic box tune with run of the mill gas station E85? Do you?

You all need to check into Gulf Mach 116. It's 116 octane UNLEADED fuel. Nothing out there like it. Its not oxygenated, so changing tunes at the track would be easy......
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Race car with Tec3R, no sensors of any kind. Here in California we are blessed with E85 that is perfect every time. Very hard to beat Q16 it is magic fuel...
Agreed the fuel mix chart is the way for them to go for sure.. Just a little outdated in regards to Ethanol. I remember that chart from back in the day!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by EREBUS
His question is about fuel additives and the possibility of ECU adaptation. Octane levels he is looking to get will not happen with octane boosters he can buy. If racing fuel is not available, my option is.

On that note, there would be no way in hell can you just add an oxygenated leaded fuel and flip a tune at the track. Besides, leaded fuels start destroying afr probes and o2 sensors in the first 5 gallons. Been there, done that. lol

I wouldn't even trust a basic box tune with run of the mill gas station E85? Do you?

You all need to check into Gulf Mach 116. It's 116 octane UNLEADED fuel. Nothing out there like it. Its not oxygenated, so changing tunes at the track would be easy......
Agreed... Putting leaded into your car will destroy o2 sensors and cats not a good idea. However, I used MS109 and its a really good unleaded race fuel and the car loved it.

Ive used pump and NOS octane booster with MMT and it worked surprisingly. Maybe not as good as MS109. Especially if you put enough in. But the car felt slower at first (just like when I ran MS109) then when ECU adapted it started ripping. I was pleasantly surprised. I do know for sure the one made by VP works really good. It's not some cheap booster from autozone lol.

Running e85 out of the pump can vary too much. Without a wideband and proper tune I would think that would be a bad idea.

I would listen to guys like Erebus. He's tried a bunch of crap and his car hauls the mail and the setup works.
The following users liked this post:
EREBUS (05-11-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Spending several months each year in Germany I have access to Aral (BP) "Ultimate 102" which has a RON of 102 and a MON of 90 or 96 PON. The current tune I'm using from a German tuner really likes that stuff. I brought my ECU back to Florida where it's been sitting on my desk for months. I'll be sending it to Jerry Thornton to have a look see before returning to Europe. I highly value Jerry's opinions.