Sponsored by:

Intake Dyno Comparisons.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by Alex L
At 65% throttle and 6000rpm my injectors have reached their limit. Live mapping of standalone ECUs is quite different to stock file flashing.
I get that. We are not talking about flashing or mapping, though. We are talking about your 65% open throttle body claim of 21 psi? How are limiting your throttle to 65% at WOT?

as in Whipple or the Weistec kit?
Kinda of a trick question, really. Weistec is limited to the room we have under our hoods. It's not their fault or a design flaw with whipple.

And what's a 'variable intercooler set up'?
Kinda self explanatory? Space limitations and a direct down flowing intercooler core hinders options for different intercooler set-ups. i.e= multiple intercoolers, flow path modifications, type of intercoolers.

I guess all of Whipple customers are screwed then.
The voices in my head are telling me not to counter this stupid-a** comment. Oh, wait...

Will find out in September. I have a 1.5 mile event coming.
Looking forward to it. I will post my October 1 mile event, also.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
Originally Posted by EREBUS
I get that. We are not talking about flashing or mapping, though. We are talking about your 65% open throttle body claim of 21 psi? How are limiting your throttle to 65% at WOT?
You just limit your throttle opening to say 20% when you start tuning, run the engine for the entire rev range and if there's no issues, increase the opening by another 10 or 20% and repeat until you reach 100%. Incremental increase of throttle allows to spot and rectify things before it's too late.

Admittedly I don't do the tuning as I'm simply not as experienced. I wired up the ECU, set up the base map and started the car before my tuner took over.

Kinda of a trick question, really. Weistec is limited to the room we have under our hoods. It's not their fault or a design flaw with whipple.
Not really tricky. Weistec kit can be made better, which is what I did. Space under the hood in 211 is sufficient.

Kinda self explanatory? Space limitations and a direct down flowing intercooler core hinders options for different intercooler set-ups. i.e= multiple intercoolers, flow path modifications, type of intercoolers.
I'd flip the supercharger upside down and move the intercoooler to the top if my setup didn't work but it does. I don't use meth and my air goes straight into the inlet, not via this convoluted hot piping mess that increases air drag and back pressure like in your case.

Looking forward to it. I will post my October 1 mile event, also.
What was your top speed at the mile?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 PM

You just limit your throttle opening to say 20% when you start tuning, run the engine for the entire rev range and if there's no issues, increase the opening by another 10 or 20% and repeat until you reach 100%. Incremental increase of throttle allows to spot and rectify things before it's too late.

Admittedly I don't do the tuning as I'm simply not as experienced. I wired up the ECU, set up the base map and started the car before my tuner took over.
Got it. The whole 65% throttle to boost was an odd situation I have yet to come across. DUAL throttle bodies at 65% at 21 psi, then....

Not really tricky. Weistec kit can be made better, which is what I did. Space under the hood in 211 is sufficient.
Interesting. Then again, your ECU will not start to pull timing at 95 degree IATs like our factory ECU. We have to go extreme to cool our sh*t down compared to you.

I'd flip the supercharger upside down and move the intercoooler to the top if my setup didn't work but it does.
Gotcha. Again, I would love to see your set up working in hot ambient temps on a full mile pull. It's safe to say it gets hot down here in Texas.....

I don't use meth and my air goes straight into the inlet, not via this convoluted hot piping mess that increases air drag and back pressure like in your case..
I really want to take you serious. Back pressure? Have you seen piping on turbo applications before? Boost is irrelevant if the air is too hot. I'm running 18.71 psi with three intercoolers and "piping mess". lol. That is about to go up, though. ; )

What was your top speed at the mile?
Ran into multiple problems with blow-by and loss of compression. Managed a 180.7. Our goal this October is 200 mph in the mile. Our current engine build is unique, to say the least.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
I really want to take you serious. Back pressure? Have you seen piping on turbo applications before? Boost is irrelevant if the air is too hot. I'm running 18.71 psi with three intercoolers and "piping mess". lol. That is about to go up, though. ; )
How are you mapping past 1 bar of boost? Voltage clamp?

Ran into multiple problems with blow-by and loss of compression. Managed a 180.7. Our goal this October is 200 mph in the mile. Our current engine build is unique, to say the least.
Ambitious. I'd be happy with 200 over mile and a half. I changed the diff ratio to 3.06 and went with longer gears in the gearbox, which also has 2 overdrive gears. 3.06 wouldn't do 200 in fifth on standard gearbox.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 PM

How are you mapping past 1 bar of boost? Voltage clamp?
Yes sir. VC3-100

Ambitious. I'd be happy with 200 over mile and a half. I changed the diff ratio to 3.06 and went with longer gears in the gearbox, which also has 2 overdrive gears. 3.06 wouldn't do 200 in fifth on standard gearbox.
I did 180.7 in 4th gear with 2.65 gears. I changed my gears to 2.82 and ran into problems with it shifting into 5th @ 100 feet before the mile marker. (On a side note, we need @ 900 rwhp to break the 200 mph speed in the mile) I believe you will easily do 200mph in your event.

Last edited by EREBUS; 04-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.