Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Blowing Hot Air - Diagnose|Test|Replace Assistance Needed

Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
AC Blowing Hot Air - Diagnose|Test|Replace Assistance Needed

Hello everyone,

I have a STAR w/dev mode. I am looking for assistance diagnosing my faulty airconditioning. I was thinking posting the results of our findings with STAR here would help others with the same/similar problems. If this is not the best method to approach this issue my apologies. Let me know what information is needed to triage this issue.

Problem
I had a cracked AC Condensor when I purchased the vehicle at auction I could charge the system and get it to cool and slowly it would bleed off and blow hot air.

Attempted solution 1:
The condensor and dryer were replaced, I was a dumba$$ and think I killed the compressor driving to get it professionally filled (2.4miles) I am pretty sure I killed the compressor opening the system then driving it even with AC off.

Proposed solution 2
Diagnose failed compressor etc with STAR I have new spare compressor etc on hand with AC tools.

I would like to do the AC work one last time with help and get it right. 3rd day above 97 degrees in the Carolina's

Any help would be great to get a proper diagnosis!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 AM

2004 E55
Follow STAR Thread as it seems the most logical way to manage this...

This will more than likely turn into a partial/full DIY for those with STAR diagnosis... Best sub-$1k I have spent to not guess but be guided toward resolve.

AC Compressor Failure Diagnosis DIY

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...o-pics-42.html

Summary:
click click click^10; oh yep I killed it :-( upside I get to clean more of the engine bay and get another new part. I mean it's gotta end some time...not!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of running the car. There is a pressure switch that detects R134a pressure if it is too low then the compressor will not come on.
It is clutched so will not switch on.

The only thing to watch is leaving the AC system open ... If you leave it open for more than 24 hours, I'd replace the drier. Other than that it should be fine ... Use PAG oil to lube up the o-rings is the only other thing I can think of
Old 08-03-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
Hello everyone,

I have a STAR w/dev mode. I am looking for assistance diagnosing my faulty airconditioning. I was thinking posting the results of our findings with STAR here would help others with the same/similar problems. If this is not the best method to approach this issue my apologies. Let me know what information is needed to triage this issue.

Problem
I had a cracked AC Condensor when I purchased the vehicle at auction I could charge the system and get it to cool and slowly it would bleed off and blow hot air.

Attempted solution 1:
The condensor and dryer were replaced, I was a dumba$$ and think I killed the compressor driving to get it professionally filled (2.4miles) I am pretty sure I killed the compressor opening the system then driving it even with AC off.

Proposed solution 2
Diagnose failed compressor etc with STAR I have new spare compressor etc on hand with AC tools.

I would like to do the AC work one last time with help and get it right. 3rd day above 97 degrees in the Carolina's

Any help would be great to get a proper diagnosis!
did you fix it? sometimes its the heater duo valve under the wipers. STAR DAS does not show this fault
Old 08-06-2016, 10:53 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
did you fix it? sometimes its the heater duo valve under the wipers. STAR DAS does not show this fault
I will do the heater duo valve down the road, no one rides in the back and that would only make those in the rear suffer I believe unless I need correcting...? Seniors?

I have to rewire a fresh lead to the AC compressor it is shorting out behind the PS pump. I have ample O2 sensor sheathing and lots of varying gauge wire I can get down there, I do not want to jack up the resistance on the +lead.

Where is the best place to tap in and rewire the AC compressor's + lead?

I found the culprit after much work diagnosing. AC + lead was intermittent as well

There was much fun I tell you. Write up to follow, with some closing the loop pics. I want to rewire this as its a thorn now.

Condensation please come back on the outside of my windows again like yesterday!!!

Any help or recommendation would be appreciated on the easiest place to splice in.

(I know I did this so side comments about how I jacked the wiring are not really called for, I have been giving myself a hard enough time).

Thanks for getting me this far:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...TauMdtRwvJ8wpT

I had to turn the AC to 76-78 in order to not get frozen out

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU All!

Last edited by BoostedAero; 08-06-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Clarity those suffering reading
Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Check your evap sensor
Old 08-07-2016, 01:06 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by kponti
Check your evap sensor
Thanks for the direction kponti, my AC works great, but my problem was the lead that runs from the B1 connector on the main engine bay fuse box to turn the AC compressor on.

The +lead (BLUGN-blue wire green stripe) was shorting out bc the AC compressor installer (me) did not free then re-sheath the wire. Doh!

So late last night I re-ran the +lead, exited out the back of the engine bay fuse box under the rain tray through the easiest grommet to push through (back left of fuse box).

I altered the factory run path to NOT go with the engine wiring loom. The fuse box MUST seal as it is severely exposed to the rain tray drip pattern (prev owner lost rubber rain cloth so the cover is all I have to protect my electrical system for now

WIS confirms B1 - BLUGN

My AC works great, the wire shorting was what needed to be fixed

Adding PICs to close the loop on this soon Thanks all for your help!

Last edited by BoostedAero; 08-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.