Sponsored by:

airmatic to bc coilover conversion question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
airmatic to bc coilover conversion question

I converted my E to bc coilovers and not sure if its the preload or the stiffness setting but my car feels bouncy at times wit low speed but high speed i don't feel anything even when i press on the brake the car comes to a full stop it has a slight bounce in the rear makes the car look like its shaking in the rear hopefully someone thats had the conversion done as well can steer me in the right direction
Old 08-22-2016, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Did you set preload per the instructions? I believe mine were set from the factory on the fronts, and the rear is pretty much a ride height adjustment which also preloads. what are the damping settings at?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Shifter
Did you set preload per the instructions? I believe mine were set from the factory on the fronts, and the rear is pretty much a ride height adjustment which also preloads. what are the damping settings at?
I'm not sure I had a shop install them and i have it at 20 clicks front and rear
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Which coil overs?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 SL55
Originally Posted by AMG_Adon
I'm not sure I had a shop install them and i have it at 20 clicks front and rear
This setup is pretty soft to be more of a street ride vs track. With the single adjustment, you always have some compromise. I am running 24 clicks. I started at 16 and moved up 2-3 clicks at a time, drive the car a couple days, then move again. I am pretty happy at 24, still "wallows" a bit but I prefer the more compliant ride. It's just a turn of the knob (except the rear which has to have some carpet removed), so just try moving it up some more. I've been driving at the current setting for over a year.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
BC coilovers are really not properly designed. From what I gather from their FRS/BRZ kit is that they just use the same valving on every coilover they offer. the FRS/BRZ coilover operates in a 1-2inch stroke. If you aren't within that area of stroke you'll get STUPID bouncy suspension. Like the worst i've ever experienced with any coilover system and at any damping setting. the valving on BC's are garbage and only suited for the track at best. Even though they might be best suited for the track, i'm a bit weary of their rebound to damping ratios. I have KW Variant 3's on my Audi and swear by double adjustable suspension for anything I plan to daily. Do it for your bum and spine...double adjustable! any brand...just double adjustable.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-24-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 SL55
Originally Posted by hachiroku
BC coilovers are really not properly designed. From what I gather from their FRS/BRZ kit is that they just use the same valving on every coilover they offer. the FRS/BRZ coilover operates in a 1-2inch stroke. If you aren't within that area of stroke you'll get STUPID bouncy suspension. Like the worst i've ever experienced with any coilover system and at any damping setting. the valving on BC's are garbage and only suited for the track at best. Even though they might be best suited for the track, i'm a bit weary of their rebound to damping ratios. I have KW Variant 3's on my Audi and swear by double adjustable suspension for anything I plan to daily. Do it for your bum and spine...double adjustable! any brand...just double adjustable.
Completely disagree. there are different setups for different cars. They carry multiple lines as well. I have the BR Series on my car and the ride is pretty close to the airmatic.

1) Most people do not have the resources or know how to independently set rebound and damping so a single adjustable makes sense. It's practical and will obviously has some tradeoff.

2) Height adjustment is through the threaded body so ride height does not affect working range.

3) The BR Series spring rate is a STREET spring ratio, not TRACK. It is much more compliant and you comments about your spine are completely misleading. Either you are running a totally different model line on your AMG or you aren't running them on one. There is no way that it's a harsh setup.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by erupert66
This setup is pretty soft to be more of a street ride vs track. With the single adjustment, you always have some compromise. I am running 24 clicks. I started at 16 and moved up 2-3 clicks at a time, drive the car a couple days, then move again. I am pretty happy at 24, still "wallows" a bit but I prefer the more compliant ride. It's just a turn of the knob (except the rear which has to have some carpet removed), so just try moving it up some more. I've been driving at the current setting for over a year.
yea i I've been experimenting as well but i guess the wallow will never go away
Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Mine does not "wallow" at all. I have my preload set correctly , and am 5 turns out from all the way in or "hard". I do track mine.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by Shifter
Mine does not "wallow" at all. I have my preload set correctly , and am 5 turns out from all the way in or "hard". I do track mine.
i didn't install the coils myself so I'm not sure if the preload is set correctly
Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
on my brothers FRS/BRZ it did wallow a lot initially...i then suggested him to raise the shock body and lower the coil spring perch. do this in 1 inch increments until gone. after he did this all wallow was removed.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
No wallowing on my BC, none at all when I had the car
Decent ride quality too. Not that much worse than airmatic on sport
Old 08-30-2016, 05:10 PM

05 E55
Originally Posted by kponti
No wallowing on my BC, none at all when I had the car
Decent ride quality too. Not that much worse than aromatic on sport
really how did you install your setup?

Originally Posted by hachiroku
on my brothers FRS/BRZ it did wallow a lot initially...i then suggested him to raise the shock body and lower the coil spring perch. do this in 1 inch increments until gone. after he did this all wallow was removed.

hmm imma check this out thanks