Sponsored by:

2006 E55 AMG Technology Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e55 amg
2006 E55 AMG Technology Questions

Hey guys, just got a 2006 e55 amg from my brother and was wondering about a few things you guys might have answers too. If there are threads for this I apologize (I will do a better job of searching).

I have the command with sat radio, cd changer, cd player, and an aux port in the glove box. (I have my iphone hooked up through this right now, but can't control music through my steering wheel or see on the screen what is playing)

I'm looking for some cheap options along with diy installs if possible. What the easiest way to be able to control my phone (iphone 6s) to stream music and be able to change the songs through it. Can I remove the cd changer as I really don't have cds anymore to use that slot? (not sure this is even an option)

Next question, anybody added aftermarket parking sensors on the front and back of their car? Any recommendations for a certain company? (Is it worth to get a backup camera)

I live in South Carolina near the Georgia border in case you guys know of any shops in the area that could help me with install if it was too difficult for me to do.

thanks again and look forward to getting my car the way I want. (I'll post pics of my car later)
Old 09-14-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 E63s
Heres an ipod DIY that'll probably answer most of your questions. Search Ipod install and you can find some more info. Cant help with the other stuff.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Check out the "sticky thread": MJ50 E55 mods etc or something like that. Very good resource for many of the things your asking about.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:55 PM

2006 e55 amg
thanks for the responses fellas
Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2014 ML63 AMG, 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, 1999 GMC Sierra, 1994 Chevy Astro, 1990 Honda CRX
Originally Posted by Colatown
Hey guys, just got a 2006 e55 amg from my brother and was wondering about a few things you guys might have answers too. If there are threads for this I apologize (I will do a better job of searching).

I have the command with sat radio, cd changer, cd player, and an aux port in the glove box. (I have my iphone hooked up through this right now, but can't control music through my steering wheel or see on the screen what is playing)

I'm looking for some cheap options along with diy installs if possible. What the easiest way to be able to control my phone (iphone 6s) to stream music and be able to change the songs through it. Can I remove the cd changer as I really don't have cds anymore to use that slot? (not sure this is even an option)

Next question, anybody added aftermarket parking sensors on the front and back of their car? Any recommendations for a certain company? (Is it worth to get a backup camera)

I live in South Carolina near the Georgia border in case you guys know of any shops in the area that could help me with install if it was too difficult for me to do.

thanks again and look forward to getting my car the way I want. (I'll post pics of my car later)
"Cheap" is relative. What's your idea of cheap? I have factory parking sensors and they're OK (not as good as my Cadillac), I find much greater use in the backup camera. I've got around $250 in my backup camera, I did the install myself.

I'm in SC, 66 miles from GA border, but we may be pretty far apart still.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 PM

2006 e55 amg
Originally Posted by EMFAudio
"Cheap" is relative. What's your idea of cheap? I have factory parking sensors and they're OK (not as good as my Cadillac), I find much greater use in the backup camera. I've got around $250 in my backup camera, I did the install myself.

I'm in SC, 66 miles from GA border, but we may be pretty far apart still.
I'm in beaufort, sc area. When it comes to parking sensors or backup camera, I would prefer a backup camera, but thought it would be too expensive, but $250 sounds pretty good price to me. Which model did you get and what type of car do you have? What screen does the camera come on? (command or its own screen)

thanks again.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 PM

2006 e55 amg
Originally Posted by coolchuck
Heres an ipod DIY that'll probably answer most of your questions. Search Ipod install and you can find some more info. Cant help with the other stuff.
thanks for the reply, I saw that as well, but was wondering if there was a adapter to change out the existing cd changer (which is located directly below my command screen, hidden behind a panel. As I don't use cds anymore thought this might be the easy way to gain access to a iphone/ipod while being able to see the information on screen and use the steering wheel commands.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 PM

2014 ML63 AMG, 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, 1999 GMC Sierra, 1994 Chevy Astro, 1990 Honda CRX
I'm in beaufort, sc area. When it comes to parking sensors or backup camera, I would prefer a backup camera, but thought it would be too expensive, but $250 sounds pretty good price to me. Which model did you get and what type of car do you have? What screen does the camera come on? (command or its own screen)

thanks again.
I have a module that requires opening the radio and adding some things. It uses the factory screen. The camera I would have to find the model of, it is vehicle specific. I've got an E55 sedan.

thanks for the reply, I saw that as well, but was wondering if there was a adapter to change out the existing cd changer (which is located directly below my command screen, hidden behind a panel. As I don't use cds anymore thought this might be the easy way to gain access to a iphone/ipod while being able to see the information on screen and use the steering wheel commands.
The factory equipment is fiber optic. If you remove it you have to couple it so it doesn't break everything. I have considered removing mine just to have a compartment.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 PM

2006 e55 amg
I have a module that requires opening the radio and adding some things. It uses the factory screen. The camera I would have to find the model of, it is vehicle specific. I've got an E55 sedan.
mines a 2006 e55 sedan, is this something who can follow directions but has zero to no experience in car installs. I would love to add this feature to my car.

The factory equipment is fiber optic. If you remove it you have to couple it so it doesn't break everything. I have considered removing mine just to have a compartment.
My car has the command screen, cd changer below, dvd nav in trunk, single cd above screen and aux in glove box.

As someone with very limited knowledge again on this topic, is there a module or adapter that I can switch cd changer for anything related to being able to use my phone or ipod through my car without the aux.

thanks for the reponses.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:18 PM

mines a 2006 e55 sedan, is this something who can follow directions but has zero to no experience in car installs. I would love to add this feature to my car.

My car has the command screen, cd changer below, dvd nav in trunk, single cd above screen and aux in glove box.

As someone with very limited knowledge again on this topic, is there a module or adapter that I can switch cd changer for anything related to being able to use my phone or ipod through my car without the aux.

thanks for the reponses.
Having no experience it may be beyond your pay grade, especially if you aren't particularly inclined in the mechanical or electrical department. You have the exact same system I have. It is a time consuming installation when you do know what you're doing, not particularly difficult, but time consuming.

As far as the iPod integration goes, there are devices out there to give you that function. However, I've never looked into what plugs they support or how they connect. If I recall, they are $300-500. When I got my car, there was a plug in the console with a headphone jack that ran to the glovebox so the device would be out of the way. Obviously that doesn't solve the control problem.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:32 PM

2006 e55 amg
Having no experience it may be beyond your pay grade, especially if you aren't particularly inclined in the mechanical or electrical department. You have the exact same system I have. It is a time consuming installation when you do know what you're doing, not particularly difficult, but time consuming.

As far as the iPod integration goes, there are devices out there to give you that function. However, I've never looked into what plugs they support or how they connect. If I recall, they are $300-500. When I got my car, there was a plug in the console with a headphone jack that ran to the glovebox so the device would be out of the way. Obviously that doesn't solve the control problem.
thanks for the info. I may attempt the iPod hookup listed in the diy section at some point.

If you ever get a chance to send a link to the module and camera you got would be great. If I can't figure the install out I may try a shop to get it installed for me.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 PM

thanks for the info. I may attempt the iPod hookup listed in the diy section at some point.

If you ever get a chance to send a link to the module and camera you got would be great. If I can't figure the install out I may try a shop to get it installed for me.
The camera I have looks like this one. I can't say it is definitively the same as I can't remember where I got mine from. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252432875027?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true This one may or may not be the same, looks the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331874312647?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
The module itself that makes it work is this https://www.amazon.com/Video-Interfa...reverse+camera I got it from a different vendor but it looks like the same thing. It came with NO documentation and I had to dig online to find some, which is here http://car-solutions.com/nfs/product...face_guide.pdf
Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 AM

2006 e55 amg
The camera I have looks like this one. I can't say it is definitively the same as I can't remember where I got mine from. Car Rear View Camera for Mercedes Benz E Class W211 HD Parking Backup Camera CCD | eBay This one may or may not be the same, looks the same. Car Rearview Camera for Mercedes Benz C E CLS W203 W211 W209 B200 A160 W219 | eBay

The module itself that makes it work is this https://www.amazon.com/Video-Interfa...reverse+camera I got it from a different vendor but it looks like the same thing. It came with NO documentation and I had to dig online to find some, which is here http://car-solutions.com/nfs/product...face_guide.pdf
Do you have an pics of your camera installed and the backup camera showing up on command screen for me to see? Thanks for all the information, it's been really helpful.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:04 PM

The color is very saturated, and there are adjustments for that but still very saturated.
The following users liked this post:
Minty Fresh (09-27-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 04:28 PM

2006 e55 amg

The color is very saturated, and there are adjustments for that but still very saturated.
looks great, will any camera work with the modular? Or are all the qualities about the same camera wise? I saw the one you listed said for a mercedes w211, wasn't sure if some cameras would work while others didn't.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:20 PM

looks great, will any camera work with the modular? Or are all the qualities about the same camera wise? I saw the one you listed said for a mercedes w211, wasn't sure if some cameras would work while others didn't.
The video input is composite (yellow RCA connector, analog). Any camera that has that (good luck finding one that isn't) will work. From my experience with cameras, DO NOT expect the same image quality. There can be a large variation in sharpness, color saturation, and the most notable trait, angle. This camera is around 170 degrees of coverage, there are some that are only 90. The reason I got the one I got is the way it mounts. You replace a tag light lens, no hole drilling in a place you hope to be able to secure it, no dealing with the trunk handle, etc. But, if you aren't doing the install, that's their problem.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E63 Kombi
Just posted this in another thread but since this question seems to be coming up often here's what I wrote:

I literally just installed this today: http://pearlauto.com

It is an amazing camera that completely eliminates any wiring, installs in under 5 minutes, is discrete, and is very effective. I live in NYC and a back up camera is a must here. After looking at many set ups literally for years, I finally found exactly what I need and am very happy with it.

2006 E55 AMG Technology Questions-img_9736_zpstmyksjt7.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Minty Fresh (09-27-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 PM

2006 e55 amg
Originally Posted by ilko
Just posted this in another thread but since this question seems to be coming up often here's what I wrote:

I literally just installed this today: http://pearlauto.com

It is an amazing camera that completely eliminates any wiring, installs in under 5 minutes, is discrete, and is very effective. I live in NYC and a back up camera is a must here. After looking at many set ups literally for years, I finally found exactly what I need and am very happy with it.

Thanks for the info I will look into this option as well. 500 is a bit steep though.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:31 AM

E63 Kombi
I agree, it ain't cheap. But a decent wired camera system is in the $300 range and you have to take the whole car apart to install it. And the image quality sucks. This thing takes 5 minutes to install, you can switch it between cars, and the app is truly amazing. It has proximity warnings, the cameras can move to show you 180º angle, etc. I was blown away.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 AM

2006 e55 amg
I agree, it ain't cheap. But a decent wired camera system is in the $300 range and you have to take the whole car apart to install it. And the image quality sucks. This thing takes 5 minutes to install, you can switch it between cars, and the app is truly amazing. It has proximity warnings, the cameras can move to show you 180º angle, etc. I was blown away.
I notice it says pre order, where you able to get it before it came out?
Old 09-20-2016, 03:19 PM

You don't have to take the car apart because you also have to have your phone with you and probably sitting on the dash. You can't just get in it and go, and it doesn't automatically do anything when the car is in reverse.

The pics I posted show a very clear image, the worst thing that can be said about the image quality is limited to the screen resolution, and everything is not on a 3" screen either.

So to recap, pay more to be inconvenienced, for a convenience feature.

I notice it says pre order, where you able to get it before it came out?
Probably going to be spamming the forum with it because they sell them.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:09 PM

E63 Kombi
Clearly we have different priorities. It's OK to be different, right?

My phone is always mounted in front of the Comand screen. The radio is 10 years old and I never ever use the screen. 90% of the time I don't need a back up camera either, so switching the camera automatically could be seen as a convenience but it's not a must have for me.

And no, I don't sell them, you've been here for a few months but think you already know all about the internet, hehe. I saw it demonstrated at Werks Reunion in Monterey a month ago and bought one on the spot.

As I said before, I've been looking for a back up camera literally for years. I've spoken to manufacturers at SEMA, I've read the reviews of different systems on Amazon, but they all had significant shortfalls. You might be happy yours - good for you! I have no time or desire to take the whole interior of the car apart to install one of these. That would be a major inconvenience.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM

2006 e55 amg
Clearly we have different priorities. It's OK to be different, right?

My phone is always mounted in front of the Comand screen. The radio is 10 years old and I never ever use the screen. 90% of the time I don't need a back up camera either, so switching the camera automatically could be seen as a convenience but it's not a must have for me.

And no, I don't sell them, you've been here for a few months but think you already know all about the internet, hehe. I saw it demonstrated at Werks Reunion in Monterey a month ago and bought one on the spot.

As I said before, I've been looking for a back up camera literally for years. I've spoken to manufacturers at SEMA, I've read the reviews of different systems on Amazon, but they all had significant shortfalls. You might be happy yours - good for you! I have no time or desire to take the whole interior of the car apart to install one of these. That would be a major inconvenience.
Do you have your phone hooked up to your car for audio/nav or just mounted for the camera ? What phone do you have and mount do you use?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 PM

E63 Kombi
I have an iPhone 6+ (7+ on order!) which is hooked up to the radio via the Aux cable for Waze, Pandora, etc. I use the phone for everything, that's why I never touch the radio since it's always in Aux mode.

And that's also why switching to the back up camera app on the phone literally takes 2 taps (one tap for the home screen and one tap to open the app) so I don't find it particularly inconvenient

I use a mount similar to this:

The Pearl kit comes with its own magnetic phone mount which is very nice, but I prefer the mount I already have in the wagon. Might try the Pearl mount in my 993...
Old 09-21-2016, 03:28 PM

2006 e55 amg

Where did you put the modular you need for the back up camera?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 E55 AMG Technology Questions