The "Meth Effect"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
The "Meth Effect"

Guys,

Meth Injection Installed and the return line was moved to the back of the Engine Bay Tank.

The shop did some runs and got them on video...

Outside Temp - 58 degrees

Pre-Meth Injection:

60-120 pull
IAT Start - 52
IAT Finish - 163

The "Meth Effect":

60-130 pull
IAT Start - 48
IAT Finish - 63

"Meth Effect" much faster but a few variables. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can post the times (60-120 and 60-130)

None of the IAT reduction takes into account the impact of the inlet return line being moved to the back engine bay tank.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlackHammer:
johnny_b (12-08-2016), Max.H (12-09-2016), nanayaw6 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E55 | 1968 Road Runner
Wideride

Where did you buy/piece together your kit from? Nozzle location(s)?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:03 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by WideRide
Where did you buy/piece together your kit from? Nozzle location(s)?
I didn't do the work but for sure one of the nozzles is spraying into the Throttle Body...

Fun to watch IAT's go from (for example) a starting point of 65, full throttle and they decrease to 57, then climb very slow...
Old 11-18-2016, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
I didn't do the work but for sure one of the nozzles is spraying into the Throttle Body...

Fun to watch IAT's go from (for example) a starting point of 65, full throttle and they decrease to 57, then climb very slow...
Could have saved some cash, and saved the nozzle installed in the TB as it really doesn't help much, perhaps the only benefit being a cooler supercharger. Though I would be more worried about degreasing the bearings with the methanol mix.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:07 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by jmb614
Could have saved some cash, and saved the nozzle installed in the TB as it really doesn't help much, perhaps the only benefit being a cooler supercharger. Though I would be more worried about degreasing the bearings with the methanol mix.
I can see you been around and probably have more knowledge than me and am always open to learn...

I actually copied what another member did that knows way more than me...

So, i gotta respond with:

what are your credentials in this topic and what do you know in what I paid for the set-up?

I would have paid 3x if I would have know how positive the results were!

3+ second reduction in 60-130 times, IAT"s that stay slightly above ambient, and an entirely better car and driving experience!

Then you cap off the thread with a scare tactic on meth Injection.

Really (smiley face)?

Thanks,
TK

Last edited by BlackHammer; 11-18-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
OP,

You get offended way to easily. I think the reason people are much more prone to post in comments in your threads are mostly based on the fact that you post years old information on this chassis as if your the first one doing this and blown away by the results. The chassis and driveline are ancient in the automotive realm, and nothing is new or exciting news at this point as it pertains to what your doing. And posting irrelevant times / power / IATs are not backed up by any track times etc.

So the way I'm seeing it is that no one cares or is going to be excited for you, and your posts are irrelevant and purely based on your own perception and excitement.
The following users liked this post:
BlackHammer (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
I have been studying a large number of threads on this site and there seems to anecdotal evidence a very small nozzle at the throttle body will help seal the rotors and increase boost. I believe E55greasemonkey (not sure if it was him) posted he saw higher boost numbers with a nozzle presupercharger.

From the pictures I have seen of the supercharger apart it looks like you would have to really load it up with mixture to get it into the bearings. The snout shrouds them from the front.

I don't think it will help with IAT's as once the mixture goes through the screws it will heat right back up.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:32 PM

2004 AMG E55
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
OP,

You get offended way to easily. I think the reason people are much more prone to post in comments in your threads are mostly based on the fact that you post years old information on this chassis as if your the first one doing this and blown away by the results. The chassis and driveline are ancient in the automotive realm, and nothing is new or exciting news at this point as it pertains to what your doing. And posting irrelevant times / power / IATs are not backed up by any track times etc.

So the way I'm seeing it is that no one cares or is going to be excited for you, and your posts are irrelevant and purely based on your own perception and excitement.
I have talked with MNM5ETR in real life and he is a really good guy. He is certainly frustrated with his results so far and I think he is concerned that some advice may have sent him down the wrong path.

We have talked about his shotgun approach to mods and how difficult it is to really understand where a problem lies once you change more than one thing.

As a member I see nothing wrong with his enthusiasm, I am hoping it may spark more lively debate.

If the numbers and times are irrelevant to you they may be relevant to others. Some, like me, will never take the car to the race track so 60-130 is a valid measurement.

Not calling you out, just trying to provide a different perspective from another members viewpoint.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
How was the 60-130 measured?

The water/meth does seal the rotors so here is where it can get tricky, IF it got faster was it from extra boost or from the water/meth injection the way you did it? How much boost was there before the water/meth, how much after?
Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
OP,

This is too funny. No I don't get offended and as I have mentioned time after time I have made a ton of mistakes and willing to learn from others. Hopefully the newbies can learn from my mistakes and successes...

What prompted the "you get offended too easily" comment? Let me guess; I asked someone who dive bombed on a thread (with IMHO a suspect reply) "what are your credentials?"

Since we live in a world where people rectally generate information 7x24x365 and many will take it as gospel I like to know who I am talking to and their knowledge on a topic.

I have done quite a few searches on this forum and have never found any before and after #'s on meth. IMO this is the first or one of very few. Hopefully it helps the newbies or others wanting to improve the platform.

As for your parting words "So the way I'm seeing it is that no one cares or is going to be excited for you, and your posts are irrelevant and purely based on your own perception and excitement."

Words cannot describe how much I REALLY appreciate this. Thank You!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:17 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Hulk
How was the 60-130 measured?

The water/meth does seal the rotors so here is where it can get tricky, IF it got faster was it from extra boost or from the water/meth injection the way you did it? How much boost was there before the water/meth, how much after?
Hey Hulk,
Thanks for the inquiry. Like I wrote in the original post "there were a few variables" that I simply didn't want to get into.

The times were NOT exact (VBox, etc.). I watched the video's on my Mac and timed them on my iphone stopwatch (about 10 times each, then 10 more times) to come up with the numbers.

The car ran in the 9.3 range from 60-130. Not the best E55 (I have seen as fast as 8.16) but I am happy with it (finally)...

Horsepower gains? I did 4 pulls on a dyno. 2 with the stock box Euro tune and 2 with the custom tune. HP was the pretty much the same as previous pulls but torque went up big. The dyno I ran on is suspect (big numbers) so I don't even want to get into the results.

Here is the net, the car always pulled well to about 90 then fell HARD on its face. Well, it no longer falls on its face...

Video is on dropbox that shows the pull and IAT https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=E55+60-130.mov

Last edited by BlackHammer; 11-18-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Without a verifiable vbox files , nothing is certain

What was timing , afr , boost, before and after?
What mixture did you use?

These are all things people will ask you
Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 PM

2006 E55
Without a verifiable vbox files , nothing is certain

What was timing , afr , boost, before and after?
What mixture did you use?

These are all things people will ask you
10-4. This is what I can tell you at this point:

1) Used a small nozzle as SEANO suggested.
2) Used Snow Performance Boost Juice which is a 49% Meth/51% Distilled water mix. Tuner suggested we start with it as the car would/should run leaner with this ratio.

I am out of town next week and am still in need of "advice" from someone on how to package up all the logs. Hopefully I will post pre and post meth results as well as results from a box and custom tune in the next few weeks.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
The smaller the nozzle the more water you can use. No tuner will take out fuel or add timing on this platform with meth/water
Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 AM

2006 E55
The smaller the nozzle the more water you can use. No tuner will take out fuel or add timing on this platform with meth/water
Poor choice of words by me. "tuner" = shop that did the work on the car in this case.
from what I gather "tuners" (euro, vrp, etc) will still tune. however, they won't "over-tune" based on gains a water/meth system provide.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
The snout only covers the bearings from the front, there's a slight gap and ultrafine grit from the previous owners K&N's settled inside on mine. If you haven't put fresh grease in the bearings, doing so would be a good time to seal the snout.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Poor choice of words by me. "tuner" = shop that did the work on the car in this case.
from what I gather "tuners" (euro, vrp, etc) will still tune. however, they won't "over-tune" based on gains a water/meth system provide.
Again, they will not tune for meth injection. They will not add timing or remove fuel.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:05 AM

2006 E55
Hulk, then I will just turn off the pump and then tune (?)
Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 AM

2004 AMG E55
MNM5ETR,
Hulk is saying that most tuners will not add timing or remove fuel in the tune to supplement the effects of Meth injection. Usually this is because the system could fail and then you will blow up the motor quickly.

You can still change/adjust tunes but people like Eurocharged will not make changes in the tunes for meth.

If you only put one nozzle in it should be in the intercooler. Did Denny do just one or two nozzles?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 AM

2004 AMG E55
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
The snout only covers the bearings from the front, there's a slight gap and ultrafine grit from the previous owners K&N's settled inside on mine. If you haven't put fresh grease in the bearings, doing so would be a good time to seal the snout.
StarvingArtist,
I would think you would have to have a lot more than a small nozzle to wipe grease out of the bearings. Once the meth is discharged (300 psi in the kit) it should stay in suspension with the air.

If a large enough nozzle is used I could see droplets forming but as hot as the rotors are and with such a small nozzle I think he should be OK.

I do agree on the grease but I think this was done at a shop.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Originally Posted by seanol
MNM5ETR,
Hulk is saying that most tuners will not add timing or remove fuel in the tune to supplement the effects of Meth injection. Usually this is because the system could fail and then you will blow up the motor quickly.

You can still change/adjust tunes but people like Eurocharged will not make changes in the tunes for meth.

If you only put one nozzle in it should be in the intercooler. Did Denny do just one or two nozzles?

Thanks,
Sean
Yup. Maybe tune on the edge and then turn on the meth, from there you can adjust ratios if it's too rich and as long as timing doesn't get pulled
Good luck
Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by seanol
StarvingArtist,
I would think you would have to have a lot more than a small nozzle to wipe grease out of the bearings. Once the meth is discharged (300 psi in the kit) it should stay in suspension with the air.

If a large enough nozzle is used I could see droplets forming but as hot as the rotors are and with such a small nozzle I think he should be OK.

I do agree on the grease but I think this was done at a shop.

Thanks,
Sean
I don't know if it would get moisture in there or not. Probably nobody knows. Just putting it out there because if it was my car I'd want to know about the possibility.
To grease the bearings you have to pull the SC apart. If a shop did it you would see it in the bill because there is some time involved to clean properly, plus special grease, special oil, and resealing the intercooler. I just did mine for the second time to put in better grease. I'm sure it could be done faster, but it killed a day for me.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
This is too funny. No I don't get offended and as I have mentioned time after time I have made a ton of mistakes and willing to learn from others. Hopefully the newbies can learn from my mistakes and successes...

What prompted the "you get offended too easily" comment? Let me guess; I asked someone who dive bombed on a thread (with IMHO a suspect reply) "what are your credentials?"

Since we live in a world where people rectally generate information 7x24x365 and many will take it as gospel I like to know who I am talking to and their knowledge on a topic.

I have done quite a few searches on this forum and have never found any before and after #'s on meth. IMO this is the first or one of very few. Hopefully it helps the newbies or others wanting to improve the platform.

As for your parting words "So the way I'm seeing it is that no one cares or is going to be excited for you, and your posts are irrelevant and purely based on your own perception and excitement."

Words cannot describe how much I REALLY appreciate this. Thank You!
Heh, rectally generate information 24/7/365, that's a good one, I should use that, as I too have noticed the same.

It would seem you have not searched well enough, I have posted plenty of logs on this forum that illustrate the cooling benefits of methanol. I have been religiously following these forums since 2009 and data-logging this platform since I've owned it starting in 2010; adding modifications one by one, methodically analyzing the results across numerous tunes, dyno runs, road tuning with tuners in the vehicle, 1/4 mile runs etc. Everything I have learned about this platform has come from the people that did it first, none of this is new, the same stuff we are doing, and have done, countless have done on this and other platforms before us.

The only real breakthroughs that can occur with this platform will come from a custom tuning solution that allows control needed to push the envelope without disabling all of the comfort systems of the vehicle. Many have tried, to date I have yet to see any succeed with a bulletproof solution.

But I digress, I am glad you are excited to learn, but there's no need to get offended from a benign post. It's good that you follow up on information and attempt to ground that information with facts. Many in this country do not.

Hell, there's misinformation right in this very thread, as I know it to be untrue on a first hand basis. But that is neither here nor there.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy the vehicle.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:43 AM

2006 E55
Heh, rectally generate information 24/7/365, that's a good one, I should use that, as I too have noticed the same.

It would seem you have not searched well enough, I have posted plenty of logs on this forum that illustrate the cooling benefits of methanol. I have been religiously following these forums since 2009 and data-logging this platform since I've owned it starting in 2010; adding modifications one by one, methodically analyzing the results across numerous tunes, dyno runs, road tuning with tuners in the vehicle, 1/4 mile runs etc. Everything I have learned about this platform has come from the people that did it first, none of this is new, the same stuff we are doing, and have done, countless have done on this and other platforms before us.

The only real breakthroughs that can occur with this platform will come from a custom tuning solution that allows control needed to push the envelope without disabling all of the comfort systems of the vehicle. Many have tried, to date I have yet to see any succeed with a bulletproof solution.

But I digress, I am glad you are excited to learn, but there's no need to get offended from a benign post. It's good that you follow up on information and attempt to ground that information with facts. Many in this country do not.

Hell, there's misinformation right in this very thread, as I know it to be untrue on a first hand basis. But that is neither here nor there.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy the vehicle.
Would welcome any thoughts on the misinformation and so would another active participant in this thread.

Although your comment "this is an old platform where others have been there and done that" and topping it off with "no one cares" comment took me back right away (and irritated me) there is truth in every statement as well as this one...
Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Meth is good 👍 This forum still sucks 😂

These cars have huge potential yet to be unlocked

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The "Meth Effect"