W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I give up. Rear airmatic issue...

Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I give up. Rear airmatic issue...

So after spending the morning poking around, I've hit a wall. My 04 e55 decided it wants to have a seat in my driveway a couple of days ago. The front bags fill properly but the rears are flat on the ground.

I received the visit workshop warning for a couple of days and then the following morning, the red airmatic warning came on.

After a a few hours of reading, I had a look at the trunk tank, that seems fine, couldn't find a visible line that was leaking, and plan on checking out the valve in the engine bay next.

Its my my understanding that since the front inflates fine, it shouldn't be a compressor issue, and that it should likely be between the rear lines, the rear air spring, or the valves.

Am I headed in the right direction?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
The E55 is my daily driver, and it has to be reliable on 400 mile trips. That's why I yanked the whole airmatic system once it started having problems and switched over to Strutmasters coilovers. Arnott and BC and other companies also make non-air replacement systems. The ride is the same as before, but I don't worry about waking up to a slammed car.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
Originally Posted by Blade Canyon
The E55 is my daily driver, and it has to be reliable on 400 mile trips. That's why I yanked the whole airmatic system once it started having problems and switched over to Strutmasters coilovers. Arnott and BC and other companies also make non-air replacement systems. The ride is the same as before, but I don't worry about waking up to a slammed car.

what is the light fix module version of the stutmaster product ? is that for the error message or for cars with active headlamps ?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernmentIssue

So after spending the morning poking around, I've hit a wall. My 04 e55 decided it wants to have a seat in my driveway a couple of days ago. The front bags fill properly but the rears are flat on the ground.

I received the visit workshop warning for a couple of days and then the following morning, the red airmatic warning came on.

After a a few hours of reading, I had a look at the trunk tank, that seems fine, couldn't find a visible line that was leaking, and plan on checking out the valve in the engine bay next.

Its my my understanding that since the front inflates fine, it shouldn't be a compressor issue, and that it should likely be between the rear lines, the rear air spring, or the valves.

Am I headed in the right direction?
have you checked for fault codes?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
GovernmentIssue, PM me your email address. I can send you some trouble shooting tips.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 12-27-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Check everything in the back with soapy water. I would replace the rears with Arnotts. It also gets rid of the reservoirs.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by new55
what is the light fix module version of the stutmaster product ? is that for the error message or for cars with active headlamps ?
The "Light fix" module stops any Airmatic error messages after the coilovers are installed. I've heard you can just pull the fuse for the Airmatic pump to get the same result. I have the "module" in mine.

The two LEDs are illuminated on the shift console button for sport suspension. I could lift that panel and yank the wires, but it was really a pain to get that shift panel back in place properly last time.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
OP, I'd check the the rear height sensor link and make sure that it's where its supposed to be and plugged in and not damaged. Also behind the diff there's an airline distributor that runs air to both rear bags, I'd check that for any loose or split connections.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by duccen
have you checked for fault codes?
none were found
Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Same thing wth my car recently. It was rear bag leaking, I bought new arnotts and all is great, very happy. Bite the bullet and buy the rear air springs. GL
Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeking an 04'-06' E55 AMG
Hey GovernmentIssu,
I had/have the same issue. It is my Driver Side Rear ONLY and just like yours. So, after talking to many people and biting the bullet I bought 2 Arnott A-2725's from Arnott Direct and paid under $ 400 each for them and just got them myself today. I have not put them in yet, as it will be a next week project for me here. The Arnotts look easy and with their price match around $ 800 for both side is what I decided to do myself.

Your issue is just like mine and seeing your picture reminds me of my car. Here is what was happening to me. I live in NY, so it is colder now and happening many times a week here now. But I could get in my car, start it up and the Air Spring would inflate and I could drive the car again. Now I have found a range of about 10-15 miles before the rear left end starts to sag again and I have to stop the car and wait a few minutes with the car off and then turn it back on and the bag will inflate again and I can drive again. Instead of doing this, I was told this was my issue, the Air Spring so I spent the $ 800 on both side. Hopefully this solves my issue and I was told NOT to drive my car around like I have been as I will burn out the compressor that inflates it. That's my plan anyway. I hope that helps for you. If you find something different please let me know, I just got these and they are sitting in the box until next week.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Look in the classifieds I have both arnott rears for sale
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subies
Mine recently did the same. My best guess is that there is a valve inside the bags that just go bad. whatever the reason, I replaced them with new Arnotts. Fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (12-30-2016)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
I had the same issue with the rear bags in cooler months. However, my front left gave up the ghost. I replaced a month ago and now my rear bags have stayed at attention since the repair. I don't understand why this happened but so far so good... 2 weeks sitting and no sag.