DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 06 CLS63 AMG 14 E350 14 S550
DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace

Due to not being in the USA and being able to take advantage of the warranty repair. I decided to take on the fuel tank issue myself and think I have solved a bunch of issues without spending to much.

1. Replace fuel filter in sender!

2. Repair leaking fuel tank without removing or replacing it (access ports).

3. Replace fuel pumps cheaply via rockauto.

What happens when the fuel pump or sender side leaks via cracks in either the sender or fuel pump white tops. The fuel leaks through these cracks to the outside black surface of the tank and proceeds to warp the outside sealing lip which makes the issue even worse. If you look at our tanks they are double skinned white on inside and black outside. Once fuel gets out side is when it does the damage to the tanks.

My first fix for this as copied from this forum is to fill the top of the sender and pump with jb weld so its much less likely to have the cracking failures. Second I used vice grips to carefully bend the bent opening threaded plastic of the tank back into shape so the new green seals can do their job. Third I insert a glass bowl (with TAPERED sides so it doesnt fall in the tank and the sealing rings can screw down on it) of the correct size into the opening so it holds the opening in shape overnight (I suspect wetting the area you want to move with fuel may also help...) I then refit a new jb weld filled assembly with the new green seals and it should sort the issue provided the warping on the tank opening isnt to horrific.

The fuel filter replacement is as you can see I managed to find a fuel filter (Febi Bilstein 39831) that mostly fits our senders other than one end having a hole that to small which I fixed by drilling it out to just under the suggested size of 10.7mm I drilled/reamed it to 10.5 and it seems to fit nice and snuggly. This brand fuel filter has a plastic reinforcement basket inside it so I think its much less likely to fail or begin to crush like the original filter you can see in my pics was beginning to!
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_49_28-pm.jpg   DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_49_11-pm.jpg   DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_48_55-pm.jpg   DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_48_37-pm.jpg   DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_48_25-pm.jpg  

DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_48_16-pm.jpg   DIY: Fuel filter replacement / tank repair and pump replace-imagemeter-export_-imported-30_12_2016-5_48_05-pm.jpg  

Last edited by austingtir; 12-30-2016 at 02:15 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by austingtir:
nanayaw6 (12-30-2016), Pmarino (10-07-2017), redc36 (12-14-2018), thumper823 (06-29-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
The USA warranty is a ten year extended warranty (I think), so we will all be in the same no warranty situation soon. I appreciate the post as this may be something I have to face someday. Does anyone know if the replacement tanks are an improved design? Is it just a matter of time before a warranty replacement tank fails? Please give us a long term follow up, I'm curious and hope this will take care of the issue for good.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
From talking to the tech that did my repair, it is a new part with tank and fuel pumps and filters already in. He said it was a better design. Only time will tell
Old 12-30-2016, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
The USA warranty is a ten year extended warranty (I think), so we will all be in the same no warranty situation soon. I appreciate the post as this may be something I have to face someday. Does anyone know if the replacement tanks are an improved design? Is it just a matter of time before a warranty replacement tank fails? Please give us a long term follow up, I'm curious and hope this will take care of the issue for good.
15 years total from original warranty start date.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by Rocman8
15 years total from original warranty start date.
I just took my car into a dealer for this very issue and they said they do not honor it. I have a leaking fuel filter and who knows what else strong gas smell etc... the "service advisor" told me it only covers the gas tank itself if it cracks and that in that situation they would only replace the gas tank and none of the components attached to it... which sounds like complete bull to me. I called mbusa who is supposed to have an "executive" call me back on this issue but my experience with mercedes honoring their own warranty is that they tend to be scumbags. The dealer also charged me 180 dollars to tell me this information that I was already aware of. Any suggestions on what to do if mbusa yet again fails to honor their own warranty?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2004 E55
I had a similar problem. My right side - fuel pump - was cracked and leaking up top. The first dealer I took my car to said they would not cover it. I went round n round. They said the service manager contacted MBZ and MBZ would not cover it. I pulled my car out of that dealer and called a second one. The first was closer to my house, more convenient, MY MISTAKE.... The second dealer, the dealer my shop works with and buys parts from, said no problem. I gave the service adviser my VIN over the phone, he looked it up in MBZ's database and told me it was all covered (Complete "Fuel Tank Assembly") and new the exact date the 15 extended warranty would expire. OI got them my car the next day and repair was done and returned to me in a day and a half. Key words with this complaint - "Strong fuel smell with a full tank" and "Fuel Pooling on top of the tank". The extended warranty is quite clear. Any part of the fuel tank assembly (pumps, filters, senders, seals, fuel tank etc that would have been covered under the original 4 year warranty, are covered on the 15 year extended warranty. See post #10 https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...recommend.html . Call around and be persistent!
The following users liked this post:
Dnasty (02-22-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
Originally Posted by Dnasty
I just took my car into a dealer for this very issue and they said they do not honor it. I have a leaking fuel filter and who knows what else strong gas smell etc... the "service advisor" told me it only covers the gas tank itself if it cracks and that in that situation they would only replace the gas tank and none of the components attached to it... which sounds like complete bull to me. I called mbusa who is supposed to have an "executive" call me back on this issue but my experience with mercedes honoring their own warranty is that they tend to be scumbags. The dealer also charged me 180 dollars to tell me this information that I was already aware of. Any suggestions on what to do if mbusa yet again fails to honor their own warranty?
I'm not sure why they would tell you that. The MB bulletin about the warranty extension clearly states that: "The warranty covers the fuel tank, fuel filter/sender, fuel pump, and gaskets (collectively the “Covered Fuel Tank Components”)". I have attached the latest copy of this bulletin. It's most likely just a simple misunderstanding on their part, but given how common a problem this is, it certainly shouldn't be happening (hopefully they're not trying to bill you for the repair and submit a warranty claim at the same time to get paid double). Depending on what model you have, either the defective component (ie. filter module) will be replaced, or, in many cases, the entire tank assembly including all pumps and filters will be replaced. If you PM me your VIN and email address, I can tell you which case applies to you.

If I were you, I would go back and ask to talk to the service manager (not the service adviser), show them a copy of the bulletin, and politely ask for them to repair your car AND refund the $180 they charged you. Let them know that if they will refuse, you will be speaking to MBUSA about the issue. If they do refuse, make sure to follow through with MBUSA because they should definitely be able to help you out with this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB Bulletin P-B-47.10-63d.pdf (1.10 MB, 584 views)
Dnasty (02-22-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Thanks for the info. I actually visited an out of town dealer which could be part of the issue. I contacted mbusa right after the dealer refused to repair it under warrranty and have to wait till teusday for the call back. It’s just ridiculous that these dealerships can just run like scumbags however they see fit. I actually told the service advisor I received a letter in the mail stating what is covered and the fuel filter is on it and he just had no reply then proceeded to say he ran my issue in a data base and it didn’t qualify but would love for it to be covered by Mercedes as they get paid either way. I definitely plan to pursue this 180 they took from me and file a complaint on this dealship and this clown of a service advisor. They also gave me a filthy loaner car which I had to have them rewash because I’ve never seen such despicable conditions on any rental car.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2004 E55
Can be a pain. On mine the first dealer ran it as a failed fuel pump - out of warranty. In that case they are correct, a failed fuel pump is out of warranty. In your case they may have run it as a failed fuel filter or regulator - out of warranty. It's all in how they present it or write it. That's why I mentioned " Fuel Smell and Fuel Pooling". That's what the extended warranty/bulletin specifies.
I also had my letter and photos, and went in with my rear seat already removed - made it easy for them. Oh well.... Keep after it.
Dnasty (02-22-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:06 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad
Can be a pain. On mine the first dealer ran it as a failed fuel pump - out of warranty. In that case they are correct, a failed fuel pump is out of warranty. In your case they may have run it as a failed fuel filter or regulator - out of warranty. It's all in how they present it or write it. That's why I mentioned " Fuel Smell and Fuel Pooling". That's what the extended warranty/bulletin specifies.
I also had my letter and photos, and went in with my rear seat already removed - made it easy for them. Oh well.... Keep after it.
Well the funny thing is they noted all this in their diagnosis of my car. This is basically what they sent me via email so either this guy just doesn't know anything about the warranty or he's the worlds worst con man.. or is this wording in fact a way to get out of the warranty? . He of course screwed up my reason for bringing the car in as I said it was able to be smelled outside of the vehicle (not in the cabin and not while accelerating). He initially agreed with me as soon as I got out the car as its very pronounced and obvious to anyone around the vehicle.

A. CLIENT REPORT THERE IS A VERY STRONG FUEL
TYPE SMELL COMING INTO THE CABIN OF THE
VEHICLE,ESPECIALLY WHEN ACCELERATING OR ONCE
THE FUEL TANK HAS BEEN FILLED.CHECK AND ADVISE
X
REPLACE FUEL FILTER AND DRAIN TANK. MUST ALSO
REPLACE SEAL ON FUEL PUMP (FUEL FILTER IS
LEAKING)
Fail $1,043.00
Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Clearing up confusion

ITS 15 YEARS AFTER CAR MANAFACTURED DATE
Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by w204_racing
Yes I believe we are all aware of this. My car was manufactured in 2006 if this was for me.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:44 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Well it was as you guys said all in the wording or atleast that's what the service manager told me. They are now putting a new gas tank (and fuel filter etc.) in the car under warranty. I am not sure if the manager himself did this or my call to mbzusa caused the change in attitude because the dealership called then a couple hours later mbusa called saying they spoke with the dealership and wanted to check with me. Either way they are taking care of it as they should. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
92 W124 500E, 93 W201 190E, 11 C207 E350, 05 W211 E55
I got mine done for free and they replaced the whole tank! God Bless America...
Old 05-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
creative steel seems to carry replacement fuel filter:
https://creative-steel.com/shop/03-0...t-fuel-filter/

not sure if its direct fit or not but hopefully someone has tried it.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by Dnasty

Yes I believe we are all aware of this. My car was manufactured in 2006 if this was for me.
Originally Posted by w204_racing
Hello does this fuel tank extended warranty cover the 2006 CLS55 models in addition to the E55s?
Thank you!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by CDC55AMG
Hello does this fuel tank extended warranty cover the 2006 CLS55 models in addition to the E55s?
Thank you!
Yes
Old 05-20-2018, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
You might want to read the sticky thread on this before calling the dealer.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
You might want to read the sticky thread on this before calling the dealer.
Thank you very much I will.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W211 E55 AMG & W163 ML270
Ohhhh sh..t

Ive replaced my filter but my plastic tube where the rubber pipe was very weak and brittle, unfortunately I snapped it while removing the clamp.

I now need a new lid for my filter basket.

The only problem is the new ones ive seen have two plugs and mine has only one. I dont really want to buy new pumps just needed a bew bloody lid!

Would the newer style lid clip on and work? As they orginal plug looks the same just i dont have a wire for the secondary (external level sensor)

God knows what to do 😢