Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211 E63 AMG head bolt damage

 
Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Exclamation W211 E63 AMG head bolt damage

Hey MB Team.
This is my first post and its a nasty one (unfortunately).

Here is the break down, I was driving home when I got a 'low fluid level" indication. Didn't think to much of it and continued driving, 2 miles down I noticed the heater stooped working and felt the car misfiring. Drove home (3 miles). After getting home I opened the antifreeze reservoir to discover that I'm empty and the engine was running dry. I also ran a OBD2 scan and found that cylinder 8 was misfiring. I bought antifreeze (2 gal) and filled it back up. After running it for about 5 min I noticed that the coolant doped again. At this point I checked the oil dip stick to find that its way above its normal level and the color is not black but brown. Jumped on to the forum to find a couple of posts that pretty much tell me I am F***ed.

It would would be smooth sailing if I had warranty on the car but with 55k miles and no warranty pretty much screwed.

Now I just want to know what this would cost me and what repairs I would need to make.
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:05 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 78
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W204 C63 AMG M157 Swap, W212 E63 AMG Biturbo, W215 CL65 AMG, W204 C63 AMG SC, W219 CLS55 Brabus, W21
Head Gasket Job and Head Bolt replacement is needs

I had the same issue with my W219 CLS63 AMG 2007, but this happened after hard pulls. Once I removed heads I saw the one head bolt was broken.

I guess you need to do Head Gasket Job and Head Bolt replacement, as well as flushing your engine with fresh oil 2 to 3 times to clean the water residue inside the engine.

Shouldn't be a big problem.
AMG Lover, KRK is offline  
The following users liked this post:
VadimTsygipalo (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Dublinoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Dublin,OH. Ft Myers, FLA
Posts: 624
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Sorry to hear about your problem. Don't drive anymore, it could get worse, like a bent rod etc.. I thought the 09s were made after an upgrade of the head bolts, not true? Also are you the original owner? Type of use? Do you track the car? What sort of climate do you live in, cold weather now? Thanks for your post, good luck with the repair.
Dublinoh is offline  
The following users liked this post:
VadimTsygipalo (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
dchl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,129
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
search the c63 forum for this. there are tons of info.
dchl21 is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
I was never doing hard pulls on it, Just normal driving.

I have never tracked this car, Second owner, And live in Oregon so I guess it gets cold in the winter.
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,124
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
shrimp boat
Does ARP make head bolts for the 6.3?
Forrest Gump 9 is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 12:05 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
Originally Posted by Dublinoh View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. Don't drive anymore, it could get worse, like a bent rod etc.. I thought the 09s were made after an upgrade of the head bolts, not true? Also are you the original owner? Type of use? Do you track the car? What sort of climate do you live in, cold weather now? Thanks for your post, good luck with the repair.
The problem goes up to early 2011, I believe. Dchl21 is correct; tons of info in W204 forum. Consensus is that if you don't plan on DIY'ing, find a good indy. I've read that typical costs run $3-$5k at indies, if there is no other damage, like Dublinoh notes. Updating the buckets and replacing cams, if necessary, drives costs higher. Stealer is higher and credits from MB aren't likely unless you've done a lot of business (service-wise) with them. I was lucky and was under warranty when I had them done as preventative maintenance (I think I smell coolant........).

Unfortunately, you have been a victim of the dreaded headbolt issue. Not every car gets it, regardless of what people say ("not a matter of if, but when"), but it is well documented and you've been struck. Good luck, but remember, don't drive it at all until its repaired. Check out the W204 forum, but search first before asking questions over there. You also may be able to get a referral to an indy who has experience with this issue.
Skizz is offline  
The following users liked this post:
VadimTsygipalo (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:59 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
mightar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 551
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
S211 E63 AMG
^this. Sorry for the incident OP, I hope it isn't too expensive to fix. Getting the headbolts replaced as preventative maintenance would be the way to go given that this issue is well documented for all M156 engines up to early 2011.

I'd love to do C63 Black Series engine swap in mine...
mightar is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:03 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
The problem goes up to early 2011, I believe. Dchl21 is correct; tons of info in W204 forum. Consensus is that if you don't plan on DIY'ing, find a good indy. I've read that typical costs run $3-$5k at indies, if there is no other damage, like Dublinoh notes. Updating the buckets and replacing cams, if necessary, drives costs higher. Stealer is higher and credits from MB aren't likely unless you've done a lot of business (service-wise) with them. I was lucky and was under warranty when I had them done as preventative maintenance (I think I smell coolant........).

Unfortunately, you have been a victim of the dreaded headbolt issue. Not every car gets it, regardless of what people say ("not a matter of if, but when"), but it is well documented and you've been struck. Good luck, but remember, don't drive it at all until its repaired. Check out the W204 forum, but search first before asking questions over there. You also may be able to get a referral to an indy who has experience with this issue.
Thanks for the information.
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
fila0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens NY/ Ft Lauderdale FL
Posts: 398
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
Pizdets Vadim, I'm very sorry for your situation. I'd agree with not bothering to start it anymore.

Did you warm up the car properly every time you drove it? As in waiting for the oil temps to go up to 80C before heavier driving?

Fill us in your course of action. Best of luck.
fila0220 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Kamal63 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Rob CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 510
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
I for one would start with the operating temperature of the engine during all of these symptoms.

Bear in-mind that the ECT (coolant temp) relies on fluid being in the engine to provide a signal to your dashboard indicator. No fluid = Faulty readout.

While I've not had this problem with an M156, I can tell you from past experience that you may have easily overheated this engine, possibly even warping the head(s).

It wasn't clear from your description as to whether you dropped a valve seat (which would indicate a great deal of engine heat), but I would seriously weigh the costs of repair versus replacement.

For example, here's an M156 on ebay, located in Canada (there are others):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-s63...RW80ya&vxp=mtr
Rob CL is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:17 PM
  #12  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Originally Posted by fila0220 View Post
Pizdets Vadim, I'm very sorry for your situation. I'd agree with not bothering to start it anymore.

Did you warm up the car properly every time you drove it? As in waiting for the oil temps to go up to 80C before heavier driving?

Fill us in your course of action. Best of luck.
Ya I will most likely drain the fluids today and try to get it in to a shop by the end of the week. I'm guessing this will be about 3-5K for repairs.
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 PM
  #13  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Originally Posted by Rob CL View Post
I for one would start with the operating temperature of the engine during all of these symptoms.

Bear in-mind that the ECT (coolant temp) relies on fluid being in the engine to provide a signal to your dashboard indicator. No fluid = Faulty readout.

While I've not had this problem with an M156, I can tell you from past experience that you may have easily overheated this engine, possibly even warping the head(s).

It wasn't clear from your description as to whether you dropped a valve seat (which would indicate a great deal of engine heat), but I would seriously weigh the costs of repair versus replacement.

For example, here's an M156 on ebay, located in Canada (there are others):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-s63...RW80ya&vxp=mtr
Thank you for the engine find but I am hoping that I will fix it before replacing it. I never saw the engine go up in heat. It stayed at 80-90C most of the time.
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:21 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Rocman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,139
Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
2006 E55, 2005 C55, 2005 E320 Estate Sport, 2015 ML350
You are probably ok as far as overheating goes. The most important thing is to check for a bent rod which is very common with this issue. Before doing any teardown I would drain the oil to the proper level and perform a compression test to get an idea if one of the rods bent. Once the heads are off make sure they measure deck height before reassembly.
Rocman8 is offline  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:59 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
fila0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens NY/ Ft Lauderdale FL
Posts: 398
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
Vadim any updates?

Also who built your engine?
fila0220 is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 AM
  #16  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Originally Posted by fila0220 View Post
Vadim any updates?

Also who built your engine?
No Crazy updates. I towed it to a local Mercedes certified shop. They quoted me 3-5K depending on the damage and work. (The best price I found). Still didn't hear back from them.

Not really sure what you mean by "who built your engine".
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,718
Received 140 Likes on 121 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
he is referring to the name placard on your engine from AMG. honestly name doesn't mean anything as all tools used for build are calibrated to spec, meaning failures are not specific to any one builder.
hachiroku is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by hachiroku:
fila0220 (01-10-2017), VadimTsygipalo (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 AM
  #18  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,965
Received 160 Likes on 142 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I would rather rebuild an engine where feasible as opposed to buying a second hand one with any number of potential problems. You would be pretty unlucky to hydrolock but it does occasionally happen when the heads lift. The redesigned oem bolts are more than enough unless you are going forced induction.
tw2 is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM
  #19  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
I would rather rebuild an engine where feasible as opposed to buying a second hand one with any number of potential problems.
Very much agree with you. When I called my dealer they highly recommended to swap the engine which would be a 17k (If not more).

Ill post pictures of the engine rebuild. Crossing my fingers and hoping its an easy fix.

Is there anything else i should replace while the engine is dissembled? (maintenance wise)
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 05:14 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,718
Received 140 Likes on 121 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG Pano, 2002 Audi A4 1.8t
dealerships in my experience don't rebuild engines...mercedes might be different though.

they swap short blocks, long blocks, replace individual cylinders with issues, etc but don't do full rebuilds. the labor cost is too high from their perspective.

like they'll literally change bearings for the problem cylinder and not touch anything else.
hachiroku is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ls1toAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,061
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
The 6.3 runs well. But I have no interest in one because of the cost and problems.

There is one for sale on this board. Priced well.

My wife wanted an E63 and after I researched it I was like no way.
Ls1toAMG is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 PM
  #22  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550
Thumbs down ** Update **

** Update **

So the car is in the shop. I get a call from the manager telling me that the job is a lot harder then they expected. He was able to remove 8 head bolts from one side and 6 from the other. 2 head bolts have broken heads and are stuck. He said he is unable to remove the Actual head because there is not enough room. He will have to drop the engine to remove the head. I know the price will change now.

I came to the shop to find my Engine on the floor. (Almost Cried)



W211 E63 Engine Dissembled

You Could see the stuck head bolt on the right side.



W211 E63 engine torn apart. Head Bolt stuck

Ill Keep udating you guys as it gets more expensive.
VadimTsygipalo is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 04:54 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
Rob CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 510
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Misery loves company...
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...110824/page11/

Hope you get her back soon, and cheaply.
Rob CL is offline  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 PM
  #24  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,965
Received 160 Likes on 142 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Sorry to see that. At least after this crap experience you will have an awesome reliable car for the future.
tw2 is offline  
Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 PM
  #25  
Z06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Z06
vadim,

Put a chevy block. thank me later.

Last edited by Z06; 01-14-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Z06 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W211 E63 AMG head bolt damage


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: