Sponsored by:

Long brake pedal travel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
Long brake pedal travel?

I've had a high mileage (157k) 2004 E55 for 2.5 years now, and it has always had a lot of travel on the brake pedal, but recently it seems to have gotten worse. The car brakes fine, and when I press hard on the pedal, the car will lock up fine.

Do these cars naturally have a lot of brake pedal travel? Besides potential air in the lines, could a lot of pedal travel indicate a worn brake pedal?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:44 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
lots of pedal travel would indicate air in your system. Pedal thickness should not play a factor as the amount of fluid displaced will be absorbed through the excess brake fluid in your reservoir. Air compresses with pressure, fluid does not.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Check for codes, check fluid level and have the system properly bled and see how that goes.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The SBC system in the W211 uses a mechanical feedback electrically actuated brake system. You can have significant amounts of air in the system and the pedal travel is not affected. Thus the importance of proper maintenance.

In your case, it could be the "master cylinder". Either the spring or the rubber biscuit are worn out. See attached for functionality. This is *not* like the old-style hydraulic systems.
Attached Thumbnails Long brake pedal travel?-w211-sbc-light.jpg   Long brake pedal travel?-w211-sbc-medium.jpg   Long brake pedal travel?-w211-sbc-hard.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
Thanks for helpful replies.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
The brakes in my '06 do feel "softer", but they work fine once you get used to them. It's that way even after a major service that replaced the brake fluid.

When I was given a loaner by the MB dealer, I kept jerking to a stop in their parking lot as I got used to the more sensitive brake pedal of the '16 E350.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
The SBC system in the W211 uses a mechanical feedback electrically actuated brake system. You can have significant amounts of air in the system and the pedal travel is not affected. Thus the importance of proper maintenance.

In your case, it could be the "master cylinder". Either the spring or the rubber biscuit are worn out. See attached for functionality. This is *not* like the old-style hydraulic systems.
Thanks for this info. I've been wondering how the electro-mechanical interface works on the SBC. I have very spongy brakes that take a lot of travel before they "bite". New pads and rotors (along with a fluid change) are on the way, but I was wondering if the "master cylinder" could be affecting my brake feel.

Do you have a part number for it? Has anyone ever replaced this piece and gotten better brake feel from it?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:12 PM

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Bumping this thread, curious if anyone else has replaced a master cylinder on higher mileage (156k for me) E55s and seen an improvement in feel.

I always just accepted the pedal travel and feel as a result of the SBC system, and have never driven another SBC car to compare. The reason I bring it up is after a recent alignment, the well-rated independent Mercedes tech and shop who did it mentioned that the pedal felt far too soft. 'It's an AMG, it should have an aggressive and firm feel' and I'd like to think they see other SBC cars in there.

I've did a flush last year using STAR, and it all went as it should. It had the SBC unit replaced 3 years ago under warranty, and I also installed the damper on the line when I did the flush to help with the off-pedal vibration (which it did). The only thing that might be helpful to note - when I finished the flush, STAR has you go through different 'levels' of putting pressure on the pedal and holding it in place for a set amount of time. The first time I did it, when I got to the last one, it didn't hold long enough and it made me go through the pressure tests a second time. It passed the test for air in the lines too. Could this be indicative of a worn master cylinder?

I know there really isn't any other way to check the wear on one, just curious if others have replaced it and seen an improvement.