Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pano Roof Wind Noise

Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Pano Roof Wind Noise

Hello All,
Well I have the dreaded Pano Roof dying motor. I got the roof and the cover to close. So I am fine with leaving it closed for now.

My questions is, however, is has anyone had lots of wind noise while driving over maybe 75mph? Is this common or an easy fix?

I searched around the forums and couldn't find anything on wind noise, just mainly the broken motor.

I appreciate any info in advance. Its really an annoying issue.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:54 PM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Anyone possibly have some insight on this?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by The_Grimy_One View Post
Hello All,
Well I have the dreaded Pano Roof dying motor. I got the roof and the cover to close. So I am fine with leaving it closed for now.

My questions is, however, is has anyone had lots of wind noise while driving over maybe 75mph? Is this common or an easy fix?

I searched around the forums and couldn't find anything on wind noise, just mainly the broken motor.

I appreciate any info in advance. Its really an annoying issue.

Manually closing a sunroof motor only actuates the motor gearing to the gearing that opens and closes the sunroof. With worn gearing (machine gun of death sound) there is little if any teeth grabbing. I have a feeling you are unable to close the sunroof all the way. Unfortunately the only way to get it snugged up is to replace the sunroof motor then close it after calibration.

Or are you stating that you had the wind whistling noise before your sunroof motor stripped it gearing?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
2006 E55, 2005 C55, 2005 E320 Estate Sport, 2015 ML350
Originally Posted by BoostedAero View Post
Manually closing a sunroof motor only actuates the motor gearing to the gearing that opens and closes the sunroof. With worn gearing (machine gun of death sound) there is little if any teeth grabbing. I have a feeling you are unable to close the sunroof all the way. Unfortunately the only way to get it snugged up is to replace the sunroof motor then close it after calibration.

Or are you stating that you had the wind whistling noise before your sunroof motor stripped it gearing?
+1. Probably not shut tight enough or its not closed at the correct tilt angle.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
Sounds like you need the motor replaced if it's not closing fully or opening for that matter. My pano wouldn't close fully so whenever I jumped on the highway, or sped up over 50mph, I'd hear the wind whistling. I had that awful sound that Boosted was aluding to as well. Unfortunately for me, my motor, l+r side rails, cables, & guides all needed replacing. Just my luck.

I'd suggest taking it to a reputable independent if you don't want to tackle this yourself. Don't be surprised if it's $$$(2-3k) to get full functionality back. Otherwise they could probably slide it back into place for a fraction but why have it if it doesn't work.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38 AM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Thanks guys. That's my thoughts too. I'm guessing since the motor is worn it is not closing the roof all the way. I will look into it more once my funds are up.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55
When I purchased my E55, the the pano didn't work. It had the machine gun noise on my pano. Turns out both motors and tracks needed to be replaced. Looked into DIY fix. Ended up paying the stealership $5500 for the fix. Yup, that delayed my mod plans. I did purchase one of the motors off of Ebay and never ended up using it. Let me know if you are interested in it. Good luck with the pano fix.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:36 PM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by quan View Post
When I purchased my E55, the the pano didn't work. It had the machine gun noise on my pano. Turns out both motors and tracks needed to be replaced. Looked into DIY fix. Ended up paying the stealership $5500 for the fix. Yup, that delayed my mod plans. I did purchase one of the motors off of Ebay and never ended up using it. Let me know if you are interested in it. Good luck with the pano fix.
i may be interested in buying the motor. I definitely won't pay the stealership that much. Haha. I'd rather just keep it closed. I just paid for all new front arms and new tires. So it may be a little before I have the funds for your motor. But please message me with what you are asking for it.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:21 PM

2004 E55
I will PM you with pictures and price.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 PM

2004 E55
Here are pics of the pano motor. I purchased it from the previous owner. He said he got it from ebay.