Sponsored by:

Gas smell in passenger rear... not gas tank... weird

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
Gas smell in passenger rear... not gas tank... weird

2005 E55 AMG, stock car with about 75K miles.

Recent history - I had the entire tank and the pumps replaced under MB warranty about 6 months ago. I doubled-checked the pumps and they are new and bone dry so no concerns there.

It was fairly warm a few days ago and i noticed a very strong gas odor. It was coming from the rear passenger wheel well. It was so strong that i couldn't keep the windows open as it was burning my eyes. I had to close the windows and run the AC to keep it out.

Living in the crazy northeast, the 80*F was short-lived and its been about 40*F last 2 days. No smell at all since the weather cooled off.

I did have a CEL light up 2 weeks ago on a warm 60*F day, P0456 "small evap leak" as well as P0505 "idle air control system". I reset them and its been 300 miles since and nothing.

I have to assume that the recent smell is related to the codes I saw a few weeks back. Oddly enough, no smell when the CEL was on and no CEL when this strong gas odor was present.

I priced up the purge valve, charcoal canister and shut-off valve which are nearly $500. Any ideas which it may be? I want to go buy them all when 2 are most likely unnecessary.

Thank you!

Last edited by V-AMG; 03-27-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
This is another case where the customer won't pay for the proper diagnostics that will eventually save him money by quickly identifying the faulty part---no rather guess at which part to replace----wada shame!!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
This is another case where the customer won't pay for the proper diagnostics that will eventually save him money by quickly identifying the faulty part---no rather guess at which part to replace----wada shame!!
If someone here has had the same problem, why spend the few hundred at the dealer unnecessarily?

I try to help people here as much as I can, so i come back here for help myself.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by V-AMG

Recent history - I had the entire tank and the pumps replaced under MB warranty about 6 months ago. I doubled-checked the pumps and they are new and bone dry so no concerns there.

It was fairly warm a few days ago and i noticed a very strong gas odor. It was coming from the rear passenger wheel well. It was so strong that i couldn't keep the windows open as it was burning my eyes. I had to close the windows and run the AC to keep it out.

Living in the crazy northeast, the 80*F was short-lived and its been about 40*F last 2 days. No smell at all since the weather cooled off.

I did have a CEL light up 2 weeks ago on a warm 60*F day, P0456 "small evap leak" as well as P0505 "idle air control system". I reset them and its been 300 miles since and nothing.

I have to assume that the recent smell is related to the codes I saw a few weeks back. Oddly enough, no smell when the CEL was on and no CEL when this strong gas odor was present.

I priced up the purge valve, charcoal canister and shut-off valve which are nearly $500. Any ideas which it may be? I want to go buy them all when 2 are most likely unnecessary.

Thank you!

P0456 is indicative of the gas cap leaking, almost exclusively. The CEL turns on for that code during the vacuum test of the gas tank when the cap seal fails, and if you fill your car regularly when it hits a 1/2 tank and open your cap during the middle of the test it will trigger regardless of whether there's an actual fault or not.

I notice you never mentioned ever replacing your cap. I would start by doing that. I would also like to know how full your tank was on this 80 degree day.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by equitiesguy
P0456 is indicative of the gas cap leaking, almost exclusively. The CEL turns on for that code during the vacuum test of the gas tank when the cap seal fails, and if you fill your car regularly when it hits a 1/2 tank and open your cap during the middle of the test it will trigger regardless of whether there's an actual fault or not.

I notice you never mentioned ever replacing your cap. I would start by doing that. I would also like to know how full your tank was on this 80 degree day.
Thanks equitiesguy!

My tank was right around half. I started with almost a full tank that day, drove about 150 miles and was at about half when i got caught in traffic and the smell started. I sat in traffic for the next 2 hours with small stops to the restroom and for coffee during it. It smelled for the duration.

I smelled around the cap too and even though i smelled it, i just assumed it was coming up from the wheel well, because when i smelled around the wheel well, it was POTENT. I was getting light-headed as i stopped a few times to smell it and see what was going on.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
If someone here has had the same problem, why spend the few hundred at the dealer unnecessarily?

I try to help people here as much as I can, so i come back here for help myself.
I have to agree. Not a customer either.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55

Thank you!
Have you taken your drivers valve cover off lately???

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak more than likely related to the hose off the back of the supercharger... hard metal pipe that leads to the purge valve located behind the drivers side head light.

Check that line then report back before chucking money down a hole

You need to remove the surge tank to see if the metal pipe is inserted in the back of the supercharger

Honestly lots of this going on lately just search "p0505 solved" my p0456 was the hose behind the head light though
Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedAero
Have you taken your drivers valve cover off lately???

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak more than likely related to the hose off the back of the supercharger... hard metal pipe that leads to the purge valve located behind the drivers side head light.

Check that line then report back before chucking money down a hole

You need to remove the surge tank to see if the metal pipe is inserted in the back of the supercharger

Honestly lots of this going on lately just search "p0505 solved" my p0456 was the hose behind the head light though
I should've mentioned, this line is the very first thing i checked. On my 2005, this line is actually secured to the valve cover so it cant move. I did unbolt it from the valve cover, pull it out and put it back. That definitely wasnt it...
Old 03-28-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
I should've mentioned, this line is the very first thing i checked. On my 2005, this line is actually secured to the valve cover so it cant move. I did unbolt it from the valve cover, pull it out and put it back. That definitely wasnt it...
Yea my response didnt make sense to me in retrospect due to the gas smell

So there is a pressure sensor inside the tank, do you think it is possible the tank is not sealing all the way or that when the remove install happened of the tank it is possible they boogered something up while doing the work...?

I mean with the warranty I would just slap it right back to that dealer that did the work and tell them you smell gas again

When I had my p0456 it was right after they did my tank and they did and found that hose loose behind the head light. If its a gas smell I would take it back... maybe the hose from the gas fill point down into the tank.

Can you triage a little more with your sniffer and find the source? inside outside etc..?
Old 04-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Got my SDS out of storage and did a little more investigating today. I ran the fuel tank pressure test with SDS and results werent the best, looks like it failed by just a hair.

Allowed vacuum pressure loss within 60 seconds is 5.0 hPa and i lost 5.1 hPa. Not too bad but it was above the threshold. See attached photo.

What are your guys' thoughts? Could this be due to a gas cap or should i take it back to the dealer who did my tank?

[img]webkit-fake-url://34daf466-33f4-4e22-b87c-11a60bab81b0/imagejpeg[/img]

Last edited by V-AMG; 04-01-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
It's the charcoal canister and valve on the passenger side rear wheel well

I never saw this thread I would have told you that months ago sorry
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Btw not covered under extended warranty
Old 04-01-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk
It's the charcoal canister and valve on the passenger side rear wheel well

I never saw this thread I would have told you that months ago sorry
What exactly do you suspect is the issue? i don't exactly know the function of the shut-off valve and canister and how they work, so i cant figure out what the issue may be...

i assume that it cant be a major leak or crack since it hasnt been smelling at all and it help almsot enough vacuum according to MB specs
Old 04-01-2017, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...1359651?page=1

I think this is the part number

Changed mine a while back
Lost my pics though
The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (04-03-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:02 PM

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...1359651?page=1

I think this is the part number

Changed mine a while back
Lost my pics though
Why'd you change yours? What does this thing even do? What is the shut off valve for?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Was getting the same codes so I changed the purge valve in the front because it was easier to change and cheaper. Then got the code a few days later again so I knew it was the other valve since my tank and pumps were changed.

It's for emmisions and eliminate extra fuel vapor.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:52 AM

Was getting the same codes so I changed the purge valve in the front because it was easier to change and cheaper. Then got the code a few days later again so I knew it was the other valve since my tank and pumps were changed.

It's for emmisions and eliminate extra fuel vapor.
No way! You got P0505 and P0456?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Yes it's common