Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger

Guys,
What equipment, if at all, are any of you using for dual wideband AFR Logging?
Any pictures of permanent installs?
And some of a mobile install would be hugely appreciated.

I need to get this done, but do not want to spend too much on fluff. I just need reliable AFR logs.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by ap10046
Guys,
What equipment, if at all, are any of you using for dual wideband AFR Logging?
Any pictures of permanent installs?
And some of a mobile install would be hugely appreciated.

I need to get this done, but do not want to spend too much on fluff. I just need reliable AFR logs.
I have run innovate Lm2 in a different build and it left a bunch to be desired. I decided on going with Zeitronix ZT-2 with this go round for a number of different reasons... It has been a pleasure to work with and really enjoyable.

You have a few routes to go in... in my opinion and I am sure other's the most reliable and proven system is Zeitronix ZT-2 for AFR and logging and add a bank 2 reading with a ZT-3 module. Most add a nDash to ingest Zietronix data ( I think it does up to 12 fields ) and it will ingest OBDII data as well and log at the touch of a button

I want to say the guy I bought my ZT-2 from sells it with the nDash and both total out about $750 which is a hella deal add a ZT-3 and you would be sub $1k but you would need to add in other monitoring sensors such as Boost sensor into a surge tank and IAT in the other surge tank (that is the way I plan on running it eventually)

I currently only monitor 1 bank (shush you naysayers' I am a single dad that tinkers) with ZT-2 and have a android head unit running Torque and look at RPM/IAT/Boost through ODBII

nDash is more comprehensive and if I could have an endless budget I would go there... I use a 10" touch screen off a PC currently and peek during a pull. I have yet to hard mount just earth magnet mount as of now... I think I have $350 in the set up and log MAP / RPM / AFR and just keep an eye on IATs

Only pic I have when I was setting stuff up

Amazon Amazon

After I added MAP and set conversion to where is it pretty close to matching OBDII

Amazon Amazon

I still need to drill and tap a surge tank for 3/8' NPT for an IAT sensor to ingest into ZT-2, its on the list... Meth Kit installation has taken priority though

Info if you install zt-2 + zt-3 + nDash:

Amazon Amazon

Quoted from Bramage:
"
Boost - Sensor from Rob (needswings)
Throttle Position Sensor - Tap into C3/21
RPM - Tap into Cam Position Sensor (C3/2) If you tap into RPM signal, you will get crazy spikes
AFR Bank 1 - ZT-2 included
AFR Bank 2 - ZT-3 included

(Note: ZT-3 does only AFR, but is much cheaper. Good alternative if that's all you want to log)

I get the following from the OBDII Connector (nDash):

Air Intake Temp
Long Temp Fuel Trim
Short Term Fuel trim
Speed
Timing

Last edited by BoostedAero; 04-18-2017 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ap10046 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
I am using an Innovate Motorsports LM-2. It has an O2 sensor, direct wire, and OBD2 inputs for IAT, MAP (Boost), RPM, Timing, TPS, etc..

The only thing I can't get is duty cycle as it is not offered. I would need a different unit. Being able to graph data directly from the sensors is better in my opinion due to the higher sampling rate of the direct input.

I ran my O2 from passenger side manifold to the small cubby next to the glove box. All wires come out there and I can unplug the LM-2 and close the cubby and nothing shows.

Pic's below:
Attached Thumbnails Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger-image.png   Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger-732.png   Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger-734.png   Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger-736.jpg  
Old 04-14-2017, 02:03 PM

2004 AMG E55
Attached is a look at analog input vs. OBD2 input. The red and green lines are directly off the OEM sensor, the light blue and green lines are OBD2. You can see a loss of resolution with OBD2 even thought they are same sensor.

That is the difference in scaling. Both are reading the same or very close to the same pressure and temp (axis' are adjusted per channel so lines are not on top of each other) but there is a lot of information missing.
Attached Thumbnails Permanent Installation AFR and Datalogger-untitled.png  
The following users liked this post:
ap10046 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 AM

CLS500 M113
Thank you guys very much for the information.
I am now more confused than ever...LOL

I was looking at the LM-2 for convenience and ease of use, but was preferably looking for a permanent installation via a Gauge and dual sensors. But that needs a whole setup for data logging, etc.

What do you'll think of the DLG-1 from Innovate? Dual Sensors/dual AFR and It says you can data log on the PC, but I wonder how?
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/dlg1.php
Old 04-15-2017, 03:26 PM

2004 AMG E55
Originally Posted by ap10046
Thank you guys very much for the information.
I am now more confused than ever...LOL

I was looking at the LM-2 for convenience and ease of use, but was preferably looking for a permanent installation via a Gauge and dual sensors. But that needs a whole setup for data logging, etc.

What do you'll think of the DLG-1 from Innovate? Dual Sensors/dual AFR and It says you can data log on the PC, but I wonder how?
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/dlg1.php
If it datalogs on a PC then you usually have to have the PC hooked up. With the LM-2 I use a Sd card. I have logged 20 to 30 minute runs on the card without too much issue other than it takes a while to go through the data.

As for the DLG-1 I don't know as I don't have one.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Zeitronix zt2 and Ndash combo and never look back

If you want to carry a PC then zeitronix zt2 works also
Old 04-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Hulk
Zeitronix zt2 and Ndash combo and never look back

If you want to carry a PC then zeitronix zt2 works also

What Hulk said! Love my ZT+NDash combo.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 AM

CLS500 M113
Thank you guys.
I will have to look more into that. Hopefully I can find a used one on the bay...