Sponsored by:

Finally, it's mine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon
Finally, it's mine!

My 06 wagon was delivered a week ago last Thursday, absolutely disgusting from the journey from Long Island to SoCal. My wife was the first one to see it and quickly called me to wonder what in the Hell we just bought (I was on the way home from the airport). A few minutes later, I was staring at a filthy black car, with a really ugly red pinstripe and couldn't wait to get started. The driver's carpet was dirty from transit but when I hit the "Go" button, pure smiles! The S/C whine, the exhaust sound, the cleanliness of the interior made me nod in agreement.

I spent the next 3-4 hours washing, scrubbing the wheel wells, wiping interior and conditioning, vacuuming, etc. I got done just in time to take it to pick my daughter up from school. She was much more excited than my wife, especially when we wound the S/C to full boost a couple times on the way home

During the PPI, the mechanic said the car needed nothing, all hoses, belts, fluids have been recently changed, everything was in top shape. The car was supposedly part of a 30 car collection and good chunk of money was spent taking care of the car.

On Friday, I spent the day tweaking things, learning, cleaning, detailing, claying, etc. and couldn't wait to take the car up the CA coast for spring break. We spent a few days in Santa Barbara, Solvang, SLO and Heart Castle, and 800 miles of getting to know the car. It's unbelievable how much power this car has, especially when compared to my e39 540 m-sport. Up the mountain slope, only a slight pedal press and it's 5th gear all the way up. Passing gear is amazing but highly unnecessary and only needed when you need a shot of adrenaline.

I didn't have time to get the red stripe removed before the trip but the day we got home, I stopped by a local shop and after $50 and an hour, presto! In short, I couldn't be happier with the car. During the purchase, the Carfax had 4 pages of services and records, all from MB dealers. I was able to stop by the local MB dealer to see about getting the records. For some reason, they couldn't give them to me but did print them out and let me review. Oil changes every 4-5K, A service, B service, all campaigns, lots of small things have all been done. In short, I once again seem to have lucked into a gem, and couldn't be happier. My wife is after me to now get rid of the 540, but I just can't seem to do that yet. It's nice having options

Finally, it's mine!-img_5289.jpg

Finally, it's mine!-img_5290.jpg

Finally, it's mine!-img_5297.jpg

Finally, it's mine!-img_5299.jpg

While a black car is not really my thing, I realize that a low mileage, well sorted and cared for 11 year old car doesn't come along everyday. However, I'm super stoked and can't wait to continue to update the little things, but ultimately keep the car stock, with the possible exception of a Eurocharged tune to increase the crispness and drivability. New AMG mats coming from a buddy in Belgium and a new black CA personalized plate on the way!

Looking forward to getting to know the car. Great board here with tons of outstanding advice.

Travis
The following users liked this post:
Blade Canyon (04-25-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Looks like a great find, congrats
Old 04-23-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
The smile never fades. We've owned our 04 E55 wagon since 2007. We will never sell it.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM

2006 E55 Wagon
Tscales, Cheers! I hear ya. It's amazing to think this car is over 10 years old. Feels, drives, looks and even smells new. Save for a couple of tiny chips from the road, it looks amazing. Akebono pads arrived yesterday so soon I'll have much cleaner wheels. With the huge brakes, even trips to the market require the wheels being wiped down again!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Simply outstanding, I always like to see E55 get a new lease on life.
You Sir, have a very nice looking E55. Enjoy it.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55/GL550
Congrats! Car looks great!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Congrats! The AMG wagon is the ultimate family hauler imo. We love ours although I'll admit that my wife drives it 90% of the time.

At least you can detail - you'll need it for a black car
Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 AM

2006 E55 Wagon
Mightar, I grew up with 4 black cars in my dad's fleet. I was the chief washer and cleaner of them. I swore I wouldn't get one when I got older. However, I couldn't be too choosy due to the outstanding mechanical maintenance for this car. It gets wiped down after every drive, already clayed and waxed. Akebonos go on this week and then the wheels and brakes will stay clean. Tons of detail work ahead of me... Looking forward to it. It's better than therapy!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a 540it... Loved it but no comparison. I wish I waited around for a E55 wagon, but got impatient and bought a sedan. Very nice purchase!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 PM

2006 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by knvs
I used to have a 540it... Loved it but no comparison. I wish I waited around for a E55 wagon, but got impatient and bought a sedan. Very nice purchase!
I really dig the look of the 540it. If it weren't for the fact that they are really old for a DD, I was searching for a bit for an 03 540it m-sport. Those are even more rare than the E55 wagon! The E55 is certainly another class of car, but there are a few things with the 540 that seem better built, the doors being one thing. I think the handle design on the E55 makes the door sound very sloppy vs. e39. at 140K miles, the 540 is kicking strong, not many creaks, looks great and has a lot of life left. Tough to get rid of her. Climbing into the 540 now, it feels much more sporty, save the hp advantage of the E55. The V8 is so smooth. I love the options when I step into the garage

Travis

Finally, it's mine!-fullsizeoutput_2af7.jpeg