Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For Facts and Opinions Regarding TCU Tunes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
Arrow Looking For Facts and Opinions Regarding TCU Tunes

PART I

There are a lot of companies out there that offer TCU tuning for our cars M113K.

All companies pretty much state the same things:

- raise / remove OEM torque limiters

- quicker / crisper / firmer shifts

- increase RPM limiter

- no slips

- gears hold on "M" mode

With that said...

- is a TCU tune truly safe for the tranny (long-term)? I've heard both sides.

- during my recent runs (vs. my buddy's E55), he noticed exactly when my car shifted cause it wasn't smooth. I ran him on "M" and "S", results were the same... "jerky shifts". While his car kept at it shifting really smooth.

- for those of you that have their TCU tuned, do you notice a drastic difference?

- essentially... why would or wouldn't you recommend a TCU tune?

PART II

Of all the available TCU tuning companies out there, which do you recommend AND why?

- OeTuning

- EuroCharged

- DTK

- FabTech Performance

- TunerWerks

All input and factual information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by babyboigsxr; 05-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
I have weistec v1. I got it secondhand and cant tell the difference between it and stock. Makes me wonder of its even tuned. Also if I spin in 1st I bounce off rev limiter despite jerry lifting it in tune
Old 05-03-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
I too have a EC tuned TCU and feels no different than the stock one I removed so IDK either save the 500+ and put it to better use lol. I do hear good things about RACEIQ tcu tune I know his ECU tune is off the hook
Old 05-03-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I am not a fan of the higher rpm shift point.
some will argue to do a "sneaky ECU reset". Search on the topic and other posts on "TCU tune)".
Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I am not a fan of the higher rpm shift point.
some will argue to do a "sneaky ECU reset". Search on the topic and other posts on "TCU tune".
Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon
I don't have any facts for you but I did get talk with Eurocharged for awhile about their ECU and TCU tune. In talking with the guy (and girl at different times), I decided to pull the trigger on the TCU tune along with the ECU tune. In short, it was on sale and I figure they were made to go with each other. They mentioned the same things you do above, faster shifts, gear holds, etc. I wasn't sure what to expect but the TCU tune arrived before the ECU tune did, by a couple of days. I was able to drive just with the TCU tune prior to adding the ECU. I was the same as you, wondering if it was worth it or not. In short, I don't notice a ton of difference. I do notice that it holds gears longer, sort of a sport + when in sport. I also noticed the shifts were a little quicker and the car downshifts when I come to stops. I do feel it tightens up the gearbox a little bit. Overall, I'm happy I did it along with the ECU tune. The ECU definitely changes the car for the better and if I didn't get the TCU tune, I would have been wondering, so I'm glad I did it. Not sure if this helps?

Travis
Old 05-04-2017, 05:01 AM

CLS55
Just took my car out for a thrashing. I noticed in manual mode it seems to cut power at 6,500 rev's (rev limiter). It seems to start the shift at 6,500rpm in sport mode (WOT) but since I'm mashing it torque app says it hits 6,718rpm max rev's recorded. I've had trouble with what feels like fuel cutting before the shift from 1st to 2nd and complained to Jerry about it when I was custom remote tuning. Maybe this dude who sold me the "Weistec Tune v1" was taking the ****.. Next to swap out TCU's tomorrow and see if I hit different max rev's recorded.

Didn't get a chance to check the rev's at gear change from 2nd to 3rd as I only did it in my neighborhood and didn't want to hit 140 in a 50 zone..

Edit to Add: I did 1st to 2nd shift and it hit 6,500. Subsequent ones hit 6,700 but it felt like it was bouncing off the limiter or hesitating before shift..

Last edited by PieRat; 05-04-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 E63S AMG w/CCB's
I have a DTK TCU, I believe its the V2. It shift super hard/jerky if the trans is cold or I'm hammering it, and just as smooth as normal if just cruising around.
I'm considering swapping my OEM tcu back in because I don't like the way it shifts, then again I have nothing to compare it to besides the stock tcu, so IDK if this is what it was supposed to be like lol. I do like being able to use the shift paddles in any trans mode though.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM

CLS55
Does this rev limiter seem correct for a Weistec V1 TCU tune to people? This is in manual mode.. Follow link for video..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...F80elUtOXZjeE0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...21FaUxNdTdqaVk

Cheers,
PieRat
Old 05-04-2017, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See... this is exactly what I appreciate.
I like to read people's personal experiences. It allows me to have a better understanding of their cars' reactions when shifting. Good stuff to know.

Sort of responding out of order based on the comments above...
  • I've heard that a few times from people with the EuroCharged TCU tunes. They too, also can't tell if there's a difference.

• Regarding the "sneaky ECU rest", that's more of a pedal reset / throttle response rest. From my understanding and having done it on all my cars (including the other Benzes in the family), it doesn't really change shifting.

• I used to have the EuroCharged ECU tune. Back when that was the only "mod" I had, I ran against a stock W212 N/A E63 and lost by half a car length the entire run (15 - 95... streets). It was a terrible loss. The dude was an older gentleman slouching back with a cigarette in his hand out the window down the entire time. And to make matters worse, he had some cheap heavy generic chrome wheels. I couldn't tell if my tune sucked. Hence, why I never went with their TCU tune.

• I'm sort of curious what my max shift point / RPM is. I never really paid attention to it during wide open throttle at where it shifts.

• Interesting that you mention that about the hard / jerky shifting with the DTK TCU tune. My buddy that I ran has that and his car is smooth throughout. It looks and feels as if he has one loooooong gear. LoL.
The following users liked this post:
Tru-Soul (08-19-2020)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 AM

CLS55
The ECU/tranmission reset does have some impact on the transmission from experience of driving before and after. When I got my TCU since it came out of someone elses e55 (I have a cls55) when I turned the car on if I started it immediately rather than leaving it in key 2 position for a few seconds the car wouldn't start. If I let the computer boot up fully the car would start. This issue went away with the sneaky ECU reset technique.

I swapped my TCU out for my stock unit today. I actually got a higher recorded max RPM on my torque app (6790 vs a tuned tcu top rpm of 6715) Also the shifts felt smoother and didn't seem to have power cut before the shift.) I think my TCU is conflicting with the ECU tune so will investigate. Either that or the Tuned TCU is garbage or not tuned at all and running old software.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^
Understood.
Yeah... specific techs / shops that touch my car (only a few do), are all against the TCU tunes. Others that noticed the differences swear by it. I wouldn't want to hit that point where i regret "wasting" the money.

I'll wait till more people chime in and give their input.

Thanks for your input bro.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
I have DTK tcu, took about 50 miles for shifts in comfort to soften up but it is now great.

Shifts are faster and 'firmer'. When logging I will see as high as 6800rpm. No trans/ecu problems
Old 05-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 c63 AMG
i have the eurocharged ecu tune..but i also have the 172 crankshaft pulley and BWK.. I can tel you it was all done at the same time and the car is remarkably different.. but i cant quantify the independent results of each piece.. just the entire change..its unreal. And the sneaky ECU reset does make a difference.. but all its doing is "unlearning" the built up learned driving habit and resetting back to a new learning curve. My jaguar R and my volvo R had the same thing.. SO a week of my wife driving the amg{i know i know it happens} and the car learns she drives around all mild and slow and the car basically keeps itself in comfort mode...
Old 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
I currently have a Race IQ and a DTK TCU here... My car came with the DTK and i recently went with a Race IQ ECU tune so i decided to try the TCU with it.
Honestly its not a huge difference between the two. I feel like there is only so much "tuning" that can be done to the TCU so they are all fairly similar... the Race IQ TCU may be a hair more aggressive but it could just be because they get reset when you remove them before they "relearn"
Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
DTK FTW

You drove it. You saw how smooth and how much firmer and quick the shifts were. Its definitely worth it. Drive it again this weekend and tell me there is not a significant difference.

Before I got mine i was hesitant as well but figured for $300bucks if i didnt like it i could always swap my stock one back in.

Best $300 Ive spent.

Lets run again this time on the hwy. I want you to record it so you can see me waving at you while i pass you by

Originally Posted by babyboigsxr
See... this is exactly what I appreciate.
I like to read people's personal experiences. It allows me to have a better understanding of their cars' reactions when shifting. Good stuff to know.

Sort of responding out of order based on the comments above...
  • I've heard that a few times from people with the EuroCharged TCU tunes. They too, also can't tell if there's a difference.
  • Regarding the "sneaky ECU rest", that's more of a pedal reset / throttle response rest. From my understanding and having done it on all my cars (including the other Benzes in the family), it doesn't really change shifting.
  • I used to have the EuroCharged ECU tune. Back when that was the only "mod" I had, I ran against a stock W212 N/A E63 and lost by half a car length the entire run (15 - 95... streets). It was a terrible loss. The dude was an older gentleman slouching back with a cigarette in his hand out the window down the entire time. And to make matters worse, he had some cheap heavy generic chrome wheels. I couldn't tell if my tune sucked. Hence, why I never went with their TCU tune.
  • I'm sort of curious what my max shift point / RPM is. I never really paid attention to it during wide open throttle at where it shifts.
  • Interesting that you mention that about the hard / jerky shifting with the DTK TCU tune. My buddy that I ran has that and his car is smooth throughout. It looks and feels as if he has one loooooong gear. LoL.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^
(Sarcastically says...) Ignore this person. I have no idea who he is or what he's talking about.