Fuel system stop suddenly E55 AMG 2003

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG 2003
Fuel system stop suddenly E55 AMG 2003

Hellow everyone,

Guys, I need your help. I have E55 AMG 2003 and previously i faced alot of issues, AC, some lights air bag and alot of things turn on and turn off (fluctuating) and fuse# 43 always blows i took it to hundreds of workshops and they took money without solving the problem, all wires been checked nothing found. After i change the whole fuel system the problem existed. And one guy in this website told that i have a problem with ECU unit, I consider his input and i took the ecu to workshop and it was found normal but the electrician advice me to clean it and he did, i put in the car and change the control battery and problem disappeared. I do not know actually which action solved the problem. After a couple of months the car start having similar issue but now the engine stop due to fuel stop after around three minutes from egnition, if I start it again it will run then againg after around three minutes will stop. Now i am electrician and i tried for the last two years to get the drawing hopefully someone can help me

many thanks,,

aaali1100@hotmail.com
Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Have you determined that it isn't a fuel pump issue?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Check the fuel pump relay hidden under the panel on the right-hand side of the trunk (the side opposite the SAM and fuse box). There is no access port, you have to remove the entire panel. In many instances, the relay is damaged, overheats, and shuts down after a few to 20 minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Your car will only have one relay in that location. Later models have the air pump relay co-located in the trunk; your car has the air pump relay next to the auxiliary battery under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel system stop suddenly E55 AMG 2003-socket-terminals-old.jpg   Fuel system stop suddenly E55 AMG 2003-w211-e55-2005-fuel-pumps-relay-location.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:19 PM

E55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Have you determined that it isn't a fuel pump issue?
I spent around 700$ and changed the fuel pump but, today I opened the cover of fuel pump and i found overheating signs on the fuel pump connector I cleaned it and plugged it again. I noticed that the cables near to the connecter are overheating when fuel pump is running.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM

E55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Check the fuel pump relay hidden under the panel on the right-hand side of the trunk (the side opposite the SAM and fuse box). There is no access port, you have to remove the entire panel. In many instances, the relay is damaged, overheats, and shuts down after a few to 20 minutes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Your car will only have one relay in that location. Later models have the air pump relay co-located in the trunk; your car has the air pump relay next to the auxiliary battery under the hood.
I will check it and come back to you. Can you tell what is the nominal current of that fuel pump? I found overheating signs on the fuel pump connector and the temp. Rise up on that are when the fuel pump is running
Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by aliharthy2016
I spent around 700$ and changed the fuel pump but, today I opened the cover of fuel pump and i found overheating signs on the fuel pump connector I cleaned it and plugged it again. I noticed that the cables near to the connecter are overheating when fuel pump is running.
Check polarity of connections on both pumps, you probably have "new style pumps" and one has the polarity reversed

More info here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ging-asap.html

Quoting someone well versed in this topic:
***Thanks again Barry ***

""
Check that your harness power/ground match the fuel pump power/ground. With the latest part number below one of the pumps has a reversed power/ground compared to the older pumps. 12 amps (forward) on one pump and 3 amps (reversed) on the other pump is the clue.

If using the latest fuel pumps, 211-470-00-00 Fuel Sending Unit (dual pumps), you must use the adapter harness 211-540-07-00 (adapter cable to fuel pumps). The adapter cable reverses two of the leads...

... pins 1 and 2 are swapped using the adapter to match the new fuel pumps. My home-brewed test device displaying 3/13 amps indicates one pump reversed power. 13/13 amps indicates proper connection.

You can swap the stock harness pins but a fuel pump replacement in the future may result in the next owner inadvertently ending up with the same "swapped pin" situation.

""

Last edited by BoostedAero; 05-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:55 PM

E55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
Check polarity of connections on both pumps, you probably have "new style pumps" and one has the polarity reversed

More info here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ging-asap.htmli

Quoting someone well versed in this topic:
***Thanks again Barry ***

""
Check that your harness power/ground match the fuel pump power/ground. With the latest part number below one of the pumps has a reversed power/ground compared to the older pumps. 12 amps (forward) on one pump and 3 amps (reversed) on the other pump is the clue.

If using the latest fuel pumps, 211-470-00-00 Fuel Sending Unit (dual pumps), you must use the adapter harness 211-540-07-00 (adapter cable to fuel pumps). The adapter cable reverses two of the leads...

... pins 1 and 2 are swapped using the adapter to match the new fuel pumps. My home-brewed test device displaying 3/13 amps indicates one pump reversed power. 13/13 amps indicates proper connection.

You can swap the stock harness pins but a fuel pump replacement in the future may result in the next owner inadvertently ending up with the same "swapped pin" situation.

""
I will check the connection, but is it possible that pumps connections are wrong while the car was running smoothly for around 4 months???
Old 05-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
92 W124 500E, 93 W201 190E, 11 C207 E350, 05 W211 E55
new style pumps are not compatible with using old connectors/harness
all must be replaced at the same time. Older obsolete units are known to overheat because of increased amperage draw from the stress of trying hard to pull and maintain fuel pressure with a loaded up or clogged fuel filter bag/strainer. Pumps fail and connectors overheat and people wonder why. I have seen this a half dozen times. My 2 cents
Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by aliharthy2016
I will check the connection, but is it possible that pumps connections are wrong while the car was running smoothly for around 4 months???

For the $700 did you just have the pumps swapped or the sending unit side that includes the filter done as well...

A clogged filter will cause an overcurrent situation as well

Originally Posted by Redwood415
new style pumps are not compatible with using old connectors/harness
all must be replaced at the same time. Older obsolete units are known to overheat because of increased amperage draw from the stress of trying hard to pull and maintain fuel pressure with a loaded up or clogged fuel filter bag/strainer. Pumps fail and connectors overheat and people wonder why. I have seen this a half dozen times. My 2 cents

^ding ding ding

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail while driving and watch it drop to 45psi and you know you have a clogged fuel filter :-(