W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help/info on SBC accumulator change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Need help/info on SBC accumulator change

Guys,
I've searched this site and the 'net in general extensively and the information contained in the many posts on this job is so convoluted and conflicting that I thought I'd just ask.

A local guy here in Houston was kind enough to allow me to hook my car up to his STAR machine. A check with STAR says that the white "BRAKE - visit workshop" warning on the dash is because the "Temperature of the control unit SBC too high". That's the STAR readout on the car. A check with his friend who is a MB master tech revealed that this is typically caused by a faulty SBC accumulator (also called a reservoir).

I purchased a OEM accumulator / reservoir on line from FCP Euro for only $100, it'll be here in few days. Now comes the hard part. I do NOT own a STAR unit, and I don't have access to one that I can hook up at my place to use for the job. The removal and replacement of the accumulator is a piece of cake, just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. The problem is that from what I read, it appears that prior to the removal of the old one, you must use the STAR unit to depressurize the system. After doing this and replacing the accumulator, apparently you must now use the STAR unit once again to re-pressurize the system and bleed it.

The question is, can this job be done without a STAR system, and have any of you actually done this job without a STAR system being used?

If not, does anyone in the Houston area know of an independent shop that can install the accumulator using their STAR system? I only go to the dealer as a very last resort.

Any and all definitive info on this job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by Doug427
Guys,
I've searched this site and the 'net in general extensively and the information contained in the many posts on this job is so convoluted and conflicting that I thought I'd just ask.

A local guy here in Houston was kind enough to allow me to hook my car up to his STAR machine. A check with STAR says that the white "BRAKE - visit workshop" warning on the dash is because the "Temperature of the control unit SBC too high". That's the STAR readout on the car. A check with his friend who is a MB master tech revealed that this is typically caused by a faulty SBC accumulator (also called a reservoir).

I purchased a OEM accumulator / reservoir on line from FCP Euro for only $100, it'll be here in few days. Now comes the hard part. I do NOT own a STAR unit, and I don't have access to one that I can hook up at my place to use for the job. The removal and replacement of the accumulator is a piece of cake, just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. The problem is that from what I read, it appears that prior to the removal of the old one, you must use the STAR unit to depressurize the system. After doing this and replacing the accumulator, apparently you must now use the STAR unit once again to re-pressurize the system and bleed it.

The question is, can this job be done without a STAR system, and have any of you actually done this job without a STAR system being used?

If not, does anyone in the Houston area know of an independent shop that can install the accumulator using their STAR system? I only go to the dealer as a very last resort.

Any and all definitive info on this job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sounds like something the iCarsoft MBII can do, which FCP Euro also carries. I just received mine from them in preparations of some brake work that will require to de-pressurize the system.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I would not recommend doing the job without STAR
Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
Originally Posted by HeissRod
I would not recommend doing the job without STAR
I bought my STAR system for this exact reason, to replace the accumulator. Anytime you work on the braking system on these cars, you need to depressurize it, and the only way to do that is with STAR.

If you look on your favorite Chinese import site, you can get a knock off C3 MUX for around $300 and then you can find some VMs on the internet with the files you need. Or you can just buy a combo with pre configured laptop.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by skylinrcr01
Anytime you work on the braking system on these cars, you need to depressurize it, and the only way to do that is with STAR.
I'll reiterate my point, pretty sure this is false.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by jumph4x
Sounds like something the iCarsoft MBII can do, which FCP Euro also carries. I just received mine from them in preparations of some brake work that will require to de-pressurize the system.
I've tried using an iCarsoft scanner. It'll give you pressures, but won't let you turn the system off. The one I used was the i980, however.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Sucks you are in Texas I would help for free if you were around Charlotte. I saw a C4 and laptop listed in ATL...

If you dont have a tool maybe worth a gander as the price is about 1/2 of what others charge...

It will pay for itself in about 2 to 3 uses

Hope this helps,
Will
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
I can't say whether you NEED it or not for an accumulator replacement, but I can tell you investing in a STAR system is a VERY GOOD idea for anyone who wants to DIY on these cars. I have used mine for the following things so far:

Disable SBC for Wavetrac install
Disable SBC for pad/rotor replacement
Disable SBC for SBC replacement
Raise car so I could fit a jack underneath
Code out SAI, EGR & secondary O2 sensors (No more CEL!)
Code out Airmatic
-10° cooling fan mod
Bleed intercooler circuit
Troubleshoot A/C problems
Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I need to replace my accumulator.

Do I understand the procedure correctly?

-Depressurize w/STAR
-Swap reservoir
-Pressurize
-Bleed

That's it?

Any tips?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by BagMan
I need to replace my accumulator.

Do I understand the procedure correctly?

-Depressurize w/STAR
-Swap reservoir
-Pressurize
-Bleed

That's it?

Any tips?
Yeah, that should do it. I'd disconnect the battery after you deactivate SBC as well, just to be safe. Also, I found it easier to physically remove the pump out of the car and into a vice to get the accumulator off, the hard brake lines tend to get in the way. RMEuropean has the best prices on the accumulators, they're less than $100 if memory serves me right.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
ok guys I do not own a STAR yet I am gunna be getting mine from Shadul as soon as i get the money together.

But I can tell you this is a VERY easy simple thing to do WITHOUT a STAR. Here what you do .....

step 1 disconnect the SBC motor connector

step 2 get the ( i think its a 19mm wrench ) and place on the back of the accumulator

step 3 get a nice big terry cloth towel and do a loose wrap around the accumulator not right on it just draped over so that no brake fluid sprays anywhere.

step 4 crack the accumulator loose not a whole lot just til u hear it hiss then sit back and let the pressure die down then crack it a bit more .... keep doing this and letting it sit til the pressure is all out. Took me bout 5 mins really easy.

step 5 unscrew after its all depressurized slid through the metal brake lines

step 6 screw new one in tighten on very tight it will bottom out so ull know when its tight.

step 7 reconnect the sbc motor connector and cycle key til it stops making noise.

I have now done this 3 times works perfect everytime, only thing is ull have to take to the dealer to erase the light .... I paid to have it bled twice and both times guy said t didnt have any air in it so maybe it will do it itself .... only going by my experiences so far. But its worked like a charm and alot cheaper than what the dealers want. Most will clear the code for free if u ask nicely lol

***DISCLAIMER*** you do this at your own risk I am not liable for anyone trying this and messing something up or hurting themselves. I am simply giving some friendly advice of what has worked on many occassions for myself

Also shop around I found my accumulator online for $42 with free shipping because of a 20% off first time buyer discount.