W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone successfully installed these Direct Fit Android Head Units?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55
Anyone successfully installed these Direct Fit Android Head Units?

I have seen several posts about installing aftermarket head units. Haven't confirmed that these will integrate into the HK amp and speakers? Anyone have experience with the following or similar? (I have a 2006 E55 With the HK Sound System)

Thanks in advance for the help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142197231304

Last edited by Tom Bell; 06-12-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Update model
Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55
The android units can be installed and will integrate with the HK system when used with the fiber optic adapter. If you are thinking about purchasing one check out Xtrons website. They have a newer octa core that runs android 6.0 instead of the quad core units that run the older android 5.1 etc.

http://xtrons.com/pb76m211ap-7-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2g-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-mercedes-benz.html

Fiber optic connector
http://xtrons.com/fobb01-optical-fiber-decoder-box-for-mercedes-benz.html

Last edited by Rallyboy383; 06-14-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Rallyboy383
The android units can be installed and will integrate with the HK system when used with the fiber optic adapter. If you are thinking about purchasing one check out Xtrons website. They have a newer octa core that runs android 6.0 instead of the quad core units that run the older android 5.1 etc.

7-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2g-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-mercedes-benz.html

Fiber optic connector
http://xtrons.com/fobb01-optical-fiber-decoder-box-for-mercedes-benz.html
Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it
Old 06-13-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Just got done, see thread in my signature, another member linked install DIY.

Recommended route, personally, would be a 4 channel amp and that headunit. Factory amp is not a good piece of gear. The amp I'm using is less than $200 and really makes a difference.

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Wow that decoder box is much cheaper than the avin one I purchased. They are all made in China I guess. Octa core for a head unit; I remember when burning mp3 cd's was advanced stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Elhonaz (06-15-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Good news is you can run torque right off your head unit
Old 06-13-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
that's actually the reason I want to upgrade mine....
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by jumph4x
Just got done, see thread in my signature, another member linked install DIY.

Recommended route, personally, would be a 4 channel amp and that headunit. Factory amp is not a good piece of gear. The amp I'm using is less than $200 and really makes a difference.

Cheers!
Did you keep the stock speakers?

Mine rattle when I turn it all the way up, somewhere in the rear but I can't figure out how to ****ing stop it
Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
Originally Posted by MACEDON

Mine rattle when I turn it all the way up, somewhere in the rear but I can't figure out how to ****ing stop it
maybe you have a blown speaker. Mine had a rattle from the rear passenger sun shade. If your doors have them that could be your problem.

And as far as the fiber optic adapter, it is awesomeness. All your volumes will be greatly increased with new HU. And you can maximize the stock sub. It'll thump when you get rid of stock head unit.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by MACEDON

Don't mean to hijack at all, but regarding the rattle have you tried the roof lining at the rear of the car. I installed an amplified sub in the boot and that rear roof lining vibrates like mad causing a rattling vibration sound. If I push the rear of the roof lining up hard it's lovely tight sound... Can give it a try...
Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG

7-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2g-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-mercedes-benz.html

Fiber optic connector
http://xtrons.com/fobb01-optical-fib...edes-benz.html
Unless I missed it, they don't offer the 6.0 for the W211 chassis.
It's still the 5.1.

http://xtrons.com/pf75m211ap-7-andro...er-decode.html

I stand corrected... found it on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-6-0-...38.m2548.l4275

Last edited by doubleu8; 06-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Do it and don't look back

Great compliment to keep an eye on stuff, nice function. For a sub $300 system that takes calls, has NAV, streams SoundCloud/Pandora. I used a 128GB microSD to house a large volume of music. I mean you cannot beat that at all.

Like Jump Said, use another AMP!

I run leftovers from another car, JL Audio 300/4 to stock speakers, JL 500/1 to JL12w6 sub in trunk.

Originally Posted by Tom Bell
I have seen several posts about installing aftermarket head units. Haven't confirmed that these will integrate into the HK amp and speakers? Anyone have experience with the following or similar? (I have a 2006 E55 With the HK Sound System)

Thanks in advance for the help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142197231304
The following users liked this post:
Tom Bell (06-18-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55
***Fixed the link in my original post.***

Last edited by Rallyboy383; 06-14-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
Old 06-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
maybe you have a blown speaker. Mine had a rattle from the rear passenger sun shade. If your doors have them that could be your problem.

And as far as the fiber optic adapter, it is awesomeness. All your volumes will be greatly increased with new HU. And you can maximize the stock sub. It'll thump when you get rid of stock head unit.
If you don't mind me asking, which head unit did you go with?
Was it true "Plug and Play"
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 PM

05 E55, 06 Audi S4
I don't have an Android unfortunately... I had a Kenwood from another car I used and bought the fiber optic adaptor. As far as wiring, if you've never installed an aftermarket radio before, I don't think you should try. If you have it's a piece of cake. I do not have a canbus adaptor. Interested to know if ot actually allows the steering wheel functions to work. Does anyone know?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
I don't have an Android unfortunately... I had a Kenwood from another car I used and bought the fiber optic adaptor. As far as wiring, if you've never installed an aftermarket radio before, I don't think you should try. If you have it's a piece of cake. I do not have a canbus adaptor. Interested to know if ot actually allows the steering wheel functions to work. Does anyone know?
The one I installed comes with a box to do just that and a couple others around here have installed and verified it preserves the button functionality.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I have used the metra ASWC-1 to use the steering wheel controls. I only use vol up/down and I used telephone answer/hangup for track previous/next. Here is my writeup
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...re-optics.html
I have read some people have used the adapter included in certain head units like the avin models and it has worked ok.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Neophyte questions

http://xtrons.com/pb76m211ap-7-hd-di...edes-benz.html

Fiber optic connector
http://xtrons.com/fobb01-optical-fib...edes-benz.html
Guys, I'm not a electronic tech guy at all, so please pardon the basic level questions and perhaps "dumb down" the answers a bit for me.

I have a 2006 E55 with the HK sound system. With the above unit and the optical fiber decoder box, will this essentially be plug and play for my car? Does this unit have NAV? That's one thing I really miss having in the car now. It has NAV now and I have the updated disc for the NAV, but it is so primitive and has such a bulky user interface. Also, will my steering wheel controls work with the above two items installed? Will I be able to use my phone hands free, and also will I be able to play the 2000+ songs on my phone while controlling that feature on my phone using the radio to switch and skip songs?

In summary, in basic terms, what am I gaining with this install, and what am I losing that I have now?

Thanks s much for your patience.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Doug427
Guys, I'm not a electronic tech guy at all, so please pardon the basic level questions and perhaps "dumb down" the answers a bit for me.

I have a 2006 E55 with the HK sound system. With the above unit and the optical fiber decoder box, will this essentially be plug and play for my car? Does this unit have NAV? That's one thing I really miss having in the car now. It has NAV now and I have the updated disc for the NAV, but it is so primitive and has such a bulky user interface. Also, will my steering wheel controls work with the above two items installed? Will I be able to use my phone hands free, and also will I be able to play the 2000+ songs on my phone while controlling that feature on my phone using the radio to switch and skip songs?

In summary, in basic terms, what am I gaining with this install, and what am I losing that I have now?

Thanks s much for your patience.
There are some pretty detailed videos on the installation of this head unit on Youtube Here is one.
Definitely not just a plug and play. The benefits are that you will not be able to stream music via bluetooth, faster better responding system than stock, all around major improvement in technology since 2005. From my understanding you WILL lose fading control from front to back. This is due to the Optical Adapter only having one set of RCA inputs.

The other benefit from what I have heard is a marked improvement in sound quality as well. I will for sure be upgrading as I love being able to stream music via bluetooth. I will also add the backup camera function as well.

If you have any question on where to purchase or what adapters you will need feel free to let me know.

Tom
Old 06-18-2017, 11:56 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
Great compliment to keep an eye on stuff, nice function. For a sub $300 system that takes calls, has NAV, streams SoundCloud/Pandora. I used a 128GB microSD to house a large volume of music. I mean you cannot beat that at all.

Like Jump Said, use another AMP!

I run leftovers from another car, JL Audio 300/4 to stock speakers, JL 500/1 to JL12w6 sub in trunk.
Thank you for your reply. Question regarding the aftermarket amp install. Would I be able to utilize an aftermarket amp with "ALL" the stock speakers including the factory sub? I'm not a big fan of adding a subwoofer box or enclosure. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM

05 E55, 06 Audi S4
Thank you for your reply. Question regarding the aftermarket amp install. Would I be able to utilize an aftermarket amp with "ALL" the stock speakers including the factory sub? I'm not a big fan of adding a subwoofer box or enclosure. Thank you!
What I would do is try the fiber optic adaptor first. I think you will be pleased with it. And it'll save you a heck of a lot of extra wiring. Even though having the battery in trunk is nice for amp install, it just sounds so much better once you get rid of factory HU.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:00 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I am not terribly fussy anymore when it comes to car audio (home audio I am). I very much like the MOST adapter. The set fade level is perfect for me. I don't have any desire to adjust it if I could.

You can definitely run the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp but there will probably be fewer models of amp you can choose. I haven't even looked at the stock amp but I bet there are a lot more than the standard four channels. I also don't know how they did the sub. On my old C32 and CLK55 they had the sub bridged over the rear speakers. No idea how they did the centre speaker either.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
There are some pretty detailed videos on the installation of this head unit on Youtube Here is one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vndnkudP68
Definitely not just a plug and play. The benefits are that you will not be able to stream music via bluetooth, faster better responding system than stock, all around major improvement in technology since 2005. From my understanding you WILL lose fading control from front to back. This is due to the Optical Adapter only having one set of RCA inputs.

The other benefit from what I have heard is a marked improvement in sound quality as well. I will for sure be upgrading as I love being able to stream music via bluetooth. I will also add the backup camera function as well.

If you have any question on where to purchase or what adapters you will need feel free to let me know.

Tom
nice where did you purchase yours? and theres no double din kit needed to install it?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM
elf

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 Mercedes AMG E55
I replaced my stock headunit with a Pioneer NEX8100 while keeping stock speakers + amp. But there would be times when I would start my car and there would be no audio at all and a red SRS light on my dash. If I turn the car off and back on then sound comes back on like it should most of the time. I don't think I have a lose ground anywhere, I'm not quite sure what would be causing this expect maybe catching the wrong timing on the canbus where it jams up and that's why the SRS light comes on which automaticlly killing my audio. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Hi,
I'm trying to install the Octacore PB76M211 in my 05 E320 CDI. I've got the HK FO audio/Command system in the car and the only thing left to do is connecting the 5M FO Amp bypass cable to something in the trunk...could you explain how that is done as I can't seem to find a connector or any wires that remotely would fit the 5M cable end I have in the trunk. I'm not installing any other amp (at this time) just trying to use the stock setup.

Thx
Ron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone successfully installed these Direct Fit Android Head Units?