Sponsored by:

Experiences with fixed pulleys?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Experiences with fixed pulleys?

The search turned up some gleaming reviews, as well as some complaints about issues with tunes. All of which are several years old.

Was there ever a final word? Loungn14 said that Eurocharged doesn't really recommend them but didn't give me any information.

Did every one give up on them or is there any one who has been running one for several years now that could provide some feedback?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
principledchiro (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
no personal experience but I am curious as well.. weistec uses fixed pulleys with great success, some tuners seem to have a solution but it does not appear straight forward
Old 08-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Some love it some hate it
Old 08-01-2017, 10:47 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by shardul
Some love it some hate it
I guess my biggest question is does some one have a tune hashed out for it?

Any idea why EC would tell me they don't really recommend the fixed pulley?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by drothgeb
I guess my biggest question is does some one have a tune hashed out for it?

Any idea why EC would tell me they don't really recommend the fixed pulley?
eliminates some safety backups (like disengaging) ....especially if cooling / fueling is not there to compensate.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
I can't speak for any other tuner but I have a 77mm FSP tuned by Tony Lawshee and it is perfect. No driveability issues, strong power everywhere. Only added about 5-10 degrees to my IAT's when driving and that is in 108 degree heat.

I use meth to control temps so I am always around 5-10 over on IAT's with meth on and at or below ambient when it comes on fully. With meth off I am around 20-25 over ambient, about 10 degrees hotter than my stock clutched pulley.

I do put transmission in C mode as in S mode the car spins the tires over 1/2 throttle. I love it and will not go back to clutched any time soon.

The power is addicting. I now use the edge of my foot to roll on the throttle and there is acceleration anytime I want it. Really changes the characteristics of the car as torque is on demand, no waiting.

I am all stock with the exception of the 77mm, meth, and split cooling.
Anthony Lawshee (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM

2004 AMG E55
Originally Posted by FunkTron
eliminates some safety backups (like disengaging) ....especially if cooling / fueling is not there to compensate.
Bypass is still operational. If you do get one I would recommend monitoring IAT's. I do not let my car get over 150 IAT. At that point I will back off. I have yet to go over 130 IAT with this set up as I have only tested it in 3rd.

Not a track car so for me there is really no need to test fourth as I value my license but I could see IAT's approaching that level on a longer pull with my stock cooling set up.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by FunkTron
Okay thanks, yeah I understand that, I will keep an eye on AFR, KR, and IAT so should an issue arise I will know right away, I'm not sweating that too much. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't actual problems with tunes.

Originally Posted by seanol
I can't speak for any other tuner but I have a 77mm FSP tuned by Tony Lawshee and it is perfect. No driveability issues, strong power everywhere. Only added about 5-10 degrees to my IAT's when driving and that is in 108 degree heat.

I use meth to control temps so I am always around 5-10 over on IAT's with meth on and at or below ambient when it comes on fully. With meth off I am around 20-25 over ambient, about 10 degrees hotter than my stock clutched pulley.

I do put transmission in C mode as in S mode the car spins the tires over 1/2 throttle. I love it and will not go back to clutched any time soon.

The power is addicting. I now use the edge of my foot to roll on the throttle and there is acceleration anytime I want it. Really changes the characteristics of the car as torque is on demand, no waiting.

I am all stock with the exception of the 77mm, meth, and split cooling.
Awesome thanks for the feedback, what company is Tony with?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM

2004 AMG E55
Anthony Lawshee with Race IQ: http://www.raceiq.us/iq/

I believe he is on here, you might try PMing him.
Anthony Lawshee (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
BMW
Hey, I am here you can reach me here by PM and check out the site www.raceiqperformance.us

"Performance to the Intelligent Power"

WWW.RACEIQPERFORMANCE.US
Email: anthony.lawshee@raceiq.us

Email: sales@raceiqperformance.us

Ph: 833-2RACEIQ (833-272-2347)
Ext. 103 (online sales, tune related questions)
Ext. 101 (technical & tune related questions )
Old 08-03-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
05 e55 amg
Tony is the man for this pulley. I'm running a 72mm fsp and love it. No problems at all thanks to tony!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:45 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by travhwrd
Tony is the man for this pulley. I'm running a 72mm fsp and love it. No problems at all thanks to tony!
Awesome thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Anthony Lawshee
Hey, I am here you can reach me here by PM and check out the site www.raceiqperformance.us
Do you do remote tuning or is your tuning in shop?
Anthony Lawshee (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:40 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by drothgeb
Awesome thanks for the info.

Do you do remote tuning or is your tuning in shop?
Yes sir I can remote tune for you, I do it all over the world.

"Performance to the Intelligent Power"

WWW.RACEIQPERFORMANCE.US
Email: anthony.lawshee@raceiq.us

Email: sales@raceiqperformance.us

Ph: 833-2RACEIQ (833-272-2347)
Ext. 103 (online sales, tune related questions)
Ext. 101 (technical & tune related questions )
Old 03-28-2019, 01:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by travhwrd
Did you change injectors or fuel pump?
Old 03-28-2019, 03:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 F150, 05 E55, 98 Volvo
I'm running a 77 fixed, 550 injectors plus cooling support. Never will go back to a clutched. Got to give credit where credit is due, but Tony at RaceIQ, does something with his tunes that is nothing short of a miracle!

I don't see a downside and to date have never heard of any real problematic issues coming from a fixed.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM

Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by grizzy6360
I'm running a 77 fixed, 550 injectors plus cooling support. Never will go back to a clutched. Got to give credit where credit is due, but Tony at RaceIQ, does something with his tunes that is nothing short of a miracle!

I don't see a downside and to date have never heard of any real problematic issues coming from a fixed.
I added his tune to my car yesterday and it's running awful but it isn't his fault really. I bought this car from a dealer and they gave me a list of mods it has and "they" sait has 750cc injectors, 400 lph fuel pump, 6.0 SLR pistons, and cooling mods as well. Well the air/fuel ratios are not good and it's running badly. Issue is there is no wideband and I don't have the money to buy a $700 dollar deal right now. In the past tuning software have data logging through the OBD port and his software doesn't some I'm stuck with a huge mess. It's running but is anything but mediocre. That's why I asked if you changed fuel pump or had any different mods to keep up with 72mm. How did you do data logging if any?
Old 03-28-2019, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
This may not be advice you will accept, but tuning the car and driving it without knowing what is going on, and spending money on one thing but not having the cash for something like a WB - not the right path. Details matter. If you are in too deep, pull back.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM

Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by BC928
This may not be advice you will accept, but tuning the car and driving it without knowing what is going on, and spending money on one thing but not having the cash for something like a WB - not the right path. Details matter. If you are in too deep, pull back.
I fully understand the importance of of a wideband but the cars air suspension went out and cost me $2000 over the weekend so it's been one thing after another. Anyway. I don't hate on your opinion and it's the right one. I may just get rid of the car. Will see. Anthony sending me a stock injectors file now. The issue is. Dealer tells me one thing what mods are there and I think it's not correct. Think they lied to me. In other words I got screwed brother. Anyway. I'll let you know how the new file runs as I just added it. I do love these cars. But wondering if the love I have for them is worth all the pennies.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
Just gotta get level.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
Originally Posted by Scott Petermann
I added his tune to my car yesterday and it's running awful but it isn't his fault really. I bought this car from a dealer and they gave me a list of mods it has and "they" sait has 750cc injectors, 400 lph fuel pump, 6.0 SLR pistons, and cooling mods as well. Well the air/fuel ratios are not good and it's running badly. Issue is there is no wideband and I don't have the money to buy a $700 dollar deal right now. In the past tuning software have data logging through the OBD port and his software doesn't some I'm stuck with a huge mess. It's running but is anything but mediocre. That's why I asked if you changed fuel pump or had any different mods to keep up with 72mm. How did you do data logging if any?
guessing you pulled or looked an injector to verify and look at the cooling mods they should be obvious ? sorry to hear about the false statements
Old 03-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by new55
guessing you pulled or looked an injector to verify and look at the cooling mods they should be obvious ? sorry to hear about the false statements
I didn't pull an Injector because my mechanic wanted to 2.5 hours in labor. So I just assumed stock Injectors since it was running so poorly on 750cc injector tune. The result of adding stock injector tune is much much better since Anthony sent me that. But it's still has some hickups. We are getting there. The tune is also for 6.0 SLR pistons. Which I don't think it has either. I think the engine is stock on inside (as dealer lied to me) but it does have TB 80 mm, catless, long tube Kleeman, and full carbon fiber intake. I really believe it's stock but could be wrong. The cooling is there and has different cooling pump. And heat exchanger. 72mm UDP pulley was added yesterday. It runs about 93% correct is what I had emailed Anthony. I told him it was running so bad prior that it wouldn't hurt to try to tune with stock injector ratings. Anyway it's a lot better. I will buy a Wideband within the next 30 days so I can get this thing right.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by Scott Petermann
I didn't pull an Injector because my mechanic wanted to 2.5 hours in labor. So I just assumed stock Injectors since it was running so poorly on 750cc injector tune. The result of adding stock injector tune is much much better since Anthony sent me that. But it's still has some hickups. We are getting there. The tune is also for 6.0 SLR pistons. Which I don't think it has either. I think the engine is stock on inside (as dealer lied to me) but it does have TB 80 mm, catless, long tube Kleeman, and full carbon fiber intake. I really believe it's stock but could be wrong. The cooling is there and has different cooling pump. And heat exchanger. 72mm UDP pulley was added yesterday. It runs about 93% correct is what I had emailed Anthony. I told him it was running so bad prior that it wouldn't hurt to try to tune with stock injector ratings. Anyway it's a lot better. I will buy a Wideband within the next 30 days so I can get this thing right.
I would believe with that the injectors have been upgraded with the mods listed however I wouldn't believe the 750cc but rather the more common 550cc Bosch injectors. That is what most people install when starting to go smaller pulleys, especially if it's a 72mm and an 80mm throttle body. So I would get a tune for the 550cc injectors
Old 03-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32owner
I would believe with that the injectors have been upgraded with the mods listed however I wouldn't believe the 750cc but rather the more common 550cc Bosch injectors. That is what most people install when starting to go smaller pulleys, especially if it's a 72mm and an 80mm throttle body. So I would get a tune for the 550cc injectors
Yeah not bad idea dude.