E55 2005 fuel sending unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 2005
E55 2005 fuel sending unit

Hello AMG drivers everywhere,

This is my first post on any MB site and i hope i find the helpful answers you always write for most of the issues about Mercedes cars.

(English is not my first language) 😄

Note: I tried to search for an answer to my question on the search tool but I didn't find one.

I am a proud owner of a beautiful black E55 2005 that i bought recently, it has 140000 km and for that mileage i think it is in really good condition. I would post some pics but i am writing this in a hurry.

I bought the car from the owner who told me the things that need to be fixed and most of them are relly minor stuff but recently i had the well known issue with the gas smell.

In the first few days i did smell some odd odor but i was thinkng that it is (the smell of the previous owner) if u know what i mean, every person have their special smell when they drive a car for sometime but I didn't know exactly what it is until i put full tank of gas, here I became sure that it is pure gasoline coming from inside of the car, and it was so strong I can't open my eyes fully.

After i read about the issue and took it to my trusty mechanic he told me that i was lucky that I didn't drive much longer in it because the fuel sending unit was absolutely burnt. It looks scary tbh.

The first thing came to my mind is the money i am gonna spend for this and i am not rich at all, i was happy that the only damged part is the sending unit, everything thing else is fine, but now after searching for this part I didn't find any place where i can buy it separately, and the whole fuel pump is a little bit pricey for me.

Is thete any chance someone can tell me about a place to buy the fuel sending unit separately or and hack to do it without spending that much money on the whole fuel system!??

I would really appreciate any help from you guys because I absolutely love the car and planning to keep it for a long time.

Thanks, Tim
Old 08-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
Take it to a dealer. They should replace the whole fuel assembly (tank, pumps, sending unit, filter, etc) under warrantee. There is a sticky above about this called "!!! ATTENTION !!!! - FUEL LEAK ISSUE HAS BEEN SETTLED BY DAIMLER-BENZ... 2014.12.23." You should take the two documents in this post to the dealer and tell them that you smell fuel.

I had this same problem and the dealer replaced the whole fuel assembly at no charge. At first they didn't smell any fuel to verify the complaint. I told them to fill up the tank and then drive it. The next morning they verified the smell and completed the warrantee that day as they had the assembly in stock.
The following users liked this post:
Venom55 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 01:04 PM

E55 2005
Thanks a lot for the quick help, can i ask you if i will be able to get the work done under warrantee while being the third owner and with more than 140000 km ?? Is this issue known to Mercedes internationally?! And what kind of documentation i will need to tale with me ??? Thanks a lot
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
No issues with not being the original owner and mileage isn't a concern either. It's up to 15 years on the car so you are good there. I should've been more clear in my first post but that warrantee is for US owners.
Venom55 (08-23-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Post your VIN and we can tell what are the latest part numbers for the filter and pumps. Be advised the latest pumps (at least in the US) require an adapter cable. The latest filter sending unit also requires an adapter cable. If you do not install the adapter cable to the fuel pumps, one of the pumps will run backwards, your fuel pressure will be too low, and you run the risk of detonation destroying your engine!

You will want to look at this also:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...intenance.html

The stock fuel pump relay is one of the weakest areas in the car. Inspect it and consider upgrading the relay to a 70-amp capacity unit. There is a good chance that yours has already melted the relay socket. You'll find it behind the panel on the side of the trunk next to the fuel filler cap. You must remove the panel to find it; no access port.
Venom55 (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 AM

E55 2005
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it,
I think you answered more than I thought i will hear ��

So from what i read and please correct me if i am wrong, the new fuel sending unit is different than the old fuel sending unit???

And is it easy to change it with highly skilled mechanic ?? The dealership told me it will cost almost 2000 dollars to replace the whole unit and install the modified wires and relay ?? Damn that is too much for me right now, what is the best place online to buy the stuff needed for this issue ?! I would really appreciate your help, thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Venom55
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it,
I think you answered more than I thought i will hear ��

So from what i read and please correct me if i am wrong, the new fuel sending unit is different than the old fuel sending unit???

And is it easy to change it with highly skilled mechanic ?? The dealership told me it will cost almost 2000 dollars to replace the whole unit and install the modified wires and relay ?? Damn that is too much for me right now, what is the best place online to buy the stuff needed for this issue ?! I would really appreciate your help, thanks
Old part number fuel filter only works with old part number fuel pumps. New part number fuel filter only works with the new part number fuel pumps + two each adapter cables.

Filter, pumps, adapter cables, o-ring gaskets (two each) will cost approximately $950 US dollars. Time to replace is maybe two to three hours if you've never done it before. Getting the large diameter plastic nuts (maybe 125 mm diameter?) off the fuel tank is a pain unless you have a large adjustable wrench designed for that job.

Replacing the relay and socket with a 70-amp relay is about $25 to $30 US dollars and one to two hours of your time to crimp and solder in the new connectors.

Very important! Order by your car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)! The E55 pumps are nothing like the non-AMG fuel pumps.

Parts are available from ECS Tuning. Pelican Parts, any good Mercedes parts supplier...
Venom55 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 AM

E55 2005
Really appreciate your full answer and the vital information you wrote, i think i have now the full idea about how to approach this issue without worrying,

Another question if u can help please about the model year of my car!! In my regeneration car the car is 2005 but the production was in 7/2004
Do i go with the model year as put in the registration card or it is only a number ?! My vin is WDB2110761A640537 if u can help me with the compatibility of others model year parts, will they work on it or i shoupd be 100% tied to the year of my vehicle !?

Thanks,
Tim

Sorry for my English
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Venom55
<snip>
Do i go with the model year as put in the registration card or it is only a number ?! My vin is WDB2110761A640537 if u can help me with the compatibility of others model year parts, will they work on it or i shoupd be 100% tied to the year of my vehicle !?

Thanks,
Tim

Sorry for my English
Always order by VIN. There may be (and have been) changes mid-year.

Data card for your vehicle is attached and also the list of parts needed to replace fuel pumps and filter. You will note there are a lot of other parts listed as "+001 A211 xxx xx xx". The first three-digit number is the quantity; the remaining numbers are the part number. Cables are about $15 USD each, the remainder are nylon tie-wraps, miscellaneous bits, and one piece of foam that goes on the underside of the metal cap that covers the fuel pumps. The foam is intended to prevent the electrical harness from shorting out against the metal cover.

I've had good luck with looking parts up at online prices, and then ordering from the dealer if they price match internet cost plus shipping.

EDIT: your car has a different wiring harness than the US version so you will not have an adapter cable for the fuel filter.
Attached Thumbnails E55 2005 fuel sending unit-venom-fuel-parts.jpg   E55 2005 fuel sending unit-venom-data-card-1.jpg   E55 2005 fuel sending unit-venom-data-card-2.jpg   E55 2005 fuel sending unit-venom-data-card-3.jpg   E55 2005 fuel sending unit-venom-data-card-4.jpg  

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-24-2017 at 01:06 PM.