Sponsored by:

What's the latest on throttle body woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
What's the latest on throttle body woes

Hey everyone I'm new here. Done plenty of lurking. bought a new to me e55 that I've put 10k I the last 6 months. I love it. I went nuts and maintained the hell out of it. And nothing was wrong to begin with. Put in a few passes at the track with as best of 12.2 stock. Not bad for a 13 year old car. So now I just picked up mbh long tubes and I want to put on a larger throttle body at the same time.

But not if there are going to be all the issues I've read about in so many threads. Seems if you even mess up with the throttle body even slightly there are codes and hiccups to deal with. A guy in new Zealand on here seems to have ground a stock 74 shaft and had issues even. Are there tuners now who have the issue on lock? Is it over? Seems some have pioneered around it but at great lengths. Nor does it seems in any specific or clear way?

This car is a daily I plan to put miles on, and just want to embarrass most new cars I run into lol. Not interested in having one of those cars that's been modified so much that it actually sucks compared to stock.

thanks for chiming in,

Daniel
Old 10-11-2017, 02:25 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Just about any mods have the potential to cause problems. From my observations it still seems a bit hit and miss. There was a very recent thread about this exact topic, have a search from the last two months there were quite a few replies. Raceiq seem to have good results. My personal opinion is that it is a bit of a gamble but worst result would be wasted money and having to go back to stock.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Havnt read about issues with the shaft grind. I was going to attempt this, however if there are issues with that as well then I will skip that.. Can you point me to that thread?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
Originally Posted by hustler211
Hey everyone I'm new here. Done plenty of lurking. bought a new to me e55 that I've put 10k I the last 6 months. I love it. I went nuts and maintained the hell out of it. And nothing was wrong to begin with. Put in a few passes at the track with as best of 12.2 stock. Not bad for a 13 year old car. So now I just picked up mbh long tubes and I want to put on a larger throttle body at the same time.

But not if there are going to be all the issues I've read about in so many threads. Seems if you even mess up with the throttle body even slightly there are codes and hiccups to deal with. A guy in new Zealand on here seems to have ground a stock 74 shaft and had issues even. Are there tuners now who have the issue on lock? Is it over? Seems some have pioneered around it but at great lengths. Nor does it seems in any specific or clear way?

This car is a daily I plan to put miles on, and just want to embarrass most new cars I run into lol. Not interested in having one of those cars that's been modified so much that it actually sucks compared to stock.

thanks for chiming in,

Daniel
It IS NOT a tuning problem. It's 100% an installation problem. I have done close to 30 throttle bodies from 82mm's to 90mm BBK's and not once had an issues... when people have issues it's because they didn't replace all the seals/gaskets, or damaged one going back together, used the wrong parts, or generally should have let a pro perform the work.

Thanks

Dave
The following users liked this post:
GM_Lover (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Very interesting. I have a Kleemann 82mm TB, Kleemann 168mm crank pulley, & Renntech tune. Having a bit of a hiccup, typically in 2nd under light throttle easing in, that is pretty intermittent. Maybe it's time to get this thing looked at..
Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Well I'm pro so installation issues shouldn't be a problem lol. Smoke tester is on hand and I only use new parts. I just never caught the root of the problem and always wondered if it was primarily software.

That new Zealand guys thread could be up to 16 pages back. That's how far I went back in this forum reading every thread I thought was interesting . Was laid up on morphine syrup sorting out some wisdom tooth issues.

I'm thinking stock 82mm off a e550 at this point. Is it worth picking up a 80mm sl blower snout? 400ish from the dealer? Part number anyone?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by DavesMeanE's
It IS NOT a tuning problem. It's 100% an installation problem. I have done close to 30 throttle bodies from 82mm's to 90mm BBK's and not once had an issues... when people have issues it's because they didn't replace all the seals/gaskets, or damaged one going back together, used the wrong parts, or generally should have let a pro perform the work.

Thanks

Dave
No disrespect to any of the pioneers of this platform, but I always just assumed the same. Never made any sense to me how there was no pattern to the problems as far as parts, tune, model year, or accompanying mods, and how no one was ever able to pinpoint a root cause through the years.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Is there a list of new parts recommended to accompany the installation? I have always been interested in the TB upgrade but put off by the potential complications. I presume it must come down to a vacuum leak if it is a sealing issue.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
I had issues with my 82m install. My car had issues, until we dropped in a factory 80mm throttle body (the largest offered on this engine by Mercedes), then all the problems went away. We did every other thing up to that, and it never was quite correct.

Save yourself the headache. Do this instead:
- bore/butterfly the stock TB (bore supercharger snout to match). Maxbore.com
- bore the stock y-pipe (can use fiberglass to fatten out to the pipe)
- port the supercharger snout
zero drivability issues, super cheap