Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
E55 AMG Chip Purchase & Pulley Option from Speed Tuning USA

All,

Wanted to make the forum aware of other options to Renntech's pricey $3K chip. I went to Speed Tuning USA this past weekend and for just under $400 received a flash for a 494hp/546tq option by changing the timing.

The technican Oliver was excellent and very knowledgeable. We did a pre/post test drive. While the HP is already pretty darn high I did notice a difference. The BFGs seem to be on the verge of spinning a tad when in Manual mode in 2nd gear. Needless to say I am very happy.

Additionally he is fabricating pullies for the E55 AMG for about $500. Much less than the $2k that I have seen on the other sites. I believe a dozen or so will be available within the next 2-4 weeks.

Additionally it seems like all of the tuners offer the same hp/tq upgrade -- 494ish hp and 546tq for the chip only -- could they all be using the same program?

http://www.speedtuningusa.com/

here is some more product info:

2203 Spencerville Road
Spencerville, MD 20868
USA
Tel.: 301-421-9464

info@SpeedTuningUSA.com

The performance all-rounder : We store tuning software/checksums for more than 1500 different car models (diesel and gas engines) in our database. Over 10 years of experience in developing tuning software gives us the opportunity to supply you with the best possible setting for your engine.

Individual adaptation of the performance data
undetectable with common diagnostics
for gas and diesel engines
absolute all day useable and stable
service periods stay the same
error message system of the control unit is still online

Power Chip...
The performance all-rounder : We store tuning software/checksums for more than 1500 different car models (diesel and gas engines) in our database. Over 10 years of experience in developing tuning software gives us the opportunity to supply you with the best possible setting for your engine.

Individual adaptation of the performance data
undetectable with common diagnostics
for gas and diesel engines
absolute all day useable and stable
service periods stay the same
error message system of the control unit is still online

more HP, torque, better elasticity and efficiency!

Technology: Engines of later car models are controlled by the ECU (Electronic Control Unit), you can compare it with a motherboard of a PC. This ECU controls all the events in the engine, like the fuel supply or the ignition control (firing points), injection, boost maps, ... Chip Tuning is the optimization respectively the exchange of the original software. Basically we disassemble the whole ECU, open it and change the right EPROM's (microchips, Power Chip) or simply reflash the ECU. In case you can't come to the store you would have to send us the numbers on the ECU to verify the right software for your model. Later on you would ship in the ECU, we install the Power Chip and usually send it back the same day. For more detailed information (dyno graphs, specs, prices) please always provide brand, model, engine type, year and HP of your car. In case you don't know exactly where your ECU is located, we will help you.

Last edited by e55 baller; 05-10-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's darn cheap but there must be a catch. So let me address a couple of questions:

1) What's the company warranty on engine failure should something fail that is related or caused by the aftermarket software and perhaps pulley (which is a plausible aftermath in certain situations)?

2) Is the procedure intrusive (i.e., removing the ECU off the vehicle), or is it through the OBD2 port?

3) MB typically releases software revisions every 3-4 months for better engine performance. I know RENNTech offers the same upgraded map based on a latest MB revision at no additional charge - by just visiting the shop and requesting it. Do they offer the same?

4) Lastly, in the event that the dealer flashes your ECU while in service, RENNTech reloads your software (and based on the latest revision if one exists) at no additional charge. Do they offer the same?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Good questions and I looked into most of them before the purchase:

That's darn cheap but there must be a catch. So let me address a couple of questions:

1) What's the company warranty on engine failure should something fail that is related or caused by the aftermarket software and perhaps pulley (which is a plausible aftermath in certain situations)?

there to my knowledge isn't one like the Renntech one -- a BIG difference & piece of mind if true.

2) Is the procedure intrusive (i.e., removing the ECU off the vehicle), or is it through the OBD2 port?

I was told it could be done both ways but the ECU was removed and I watched the flash procedure which took about 10 minutes. Oliver did use the OBD2 port and a PC to check some readings.

3) MB typically releases software revisions every 3-4 months for better engine performance. I know RENNTech offers the same upgraded map based on a latest MB revision at no additional charge - by just visiting the shop and requesting it. Do they offer the same?

I didn't know this. Is this for better perfomance meaning more hp/tq or to get rid of potential gremlins stemming from technical bulletins/recalls? I asked about #4 option below and he said no problem. I could go back to stock and back either free of charge or for what appeard to be a $25 servicing fee. One problem may be that since this mod is not extremely extremely noticeable (I usually can feel 20hp with the butt dyno on a ~300hp car) you may need to make a visit to get it reflashed w/ the Speed tuning chip.

4) Lastly, in the event that the dealer flashes your ECU while in service, RENNTech reloads your software (and based on the latest revision if one exists) at no additional charge. Do they offer the same?

see Answer to #3

Please let me know if you have any more Qs...I too was skeptical initially given the price but I am on day 3 or so and happy thus far.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned

I guess the phrase "you get what you pay for" is true.

The software revision is not a mandatory procedure but often times is carried out for the best interest of your vehicle. It often relates to the "finer tuning" and better optimization of your engine (like Microsoft service packs on our computer systems).

I think I'd rather pay the extra $$$ and be confident that the company that stands behind the product is a company that specializes in, and knows what goes on about my car.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i have had my sl55 done and talked to several others that have had their sl55's done by speedtuning. it works well and renntech is offering no more for the larger sum.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Sorry to disagree, but there is a lot more to ECU tuning than adding some advance and leaning out the fuel mixture, particularly with a pulley kit. There have been months of ongoing development in the Powerchip ECU on my car as an example. There wree further changes made again tonight, with more to come.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
check this out...hear of these guys? 8.8psi? I though it was more like 11 or 12psi.

<<Our techs measured stock boost at 8.8 psi max.
VF-Engineering is in the process of creating a power upgrade including re-tuned software by GIAC in a joint project.
If you would like to receive an email once our E55 AMG upgrade package is released email our sales dept on sales@vf-engineering.com with E55 in the subject.

Before and after dynos will be posted on completion.

This will be a pulley and chip upgrade kit. In simple terms, increased boost comes from the pulley and engine/fuel management from the software.

We expect it will be ready in about 8 weeks, I will keep your name on our list.

Regards,

Ed

VF-Engineering Sales

---------------------------------------------------------------------
VF-ENGINEERING supercharger systems USA.
www.vf-engineering.com
Tel (+1) 714-528-0066 Fax (+1) 714-528-0067
Email sales@vf-engineering.com
Old 05-13-2004, 02:59 PM

2005 E55
e55 Speedtuning ECU mod

How's the car running? I am going to shipp my ECU out today. I live in Orange County California. How is mod and when to expect pulley?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
the car is running strong, no problems. I have not heard back about the pulley yet but will e-mail Oliver.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:20 PM

2005 E55
Cooling e55

Have you been able to address an extra cooling system for the charge air? I am not sure where to start?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
not yet, still following posts and options on that as we speak.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM

04 E55
I Just called speed tuning they wanted $1,500 for a pulley and belt...... LOL!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
What the hell is up with these NEWBIES reviving 7 year old threads??[