Hard breaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 969 Likes on 753 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
<snip> These cars are heavy, they're fast, you don't want **** going wrong when you're doing 140mph
Or even 45 mph. After reading the horror stories from the few folks who had catastrophic SBC failure, I regularly play out in my mind and through actual physical practice what I would do if the red screen of death comes up: right foot standing on the brake pedal like Fred Flintstone, left foot stomping on the parking brake, and using my left hand to downshift the transmission via shifter button as fast as I can...

I like SBC but it is a single chain and not redundant. Be prepared.

FWIW, it was over 120 pages I emailed to our newest addition to the sub-forum..

Last edited by bbirdwell; 01-26-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Or even 45 mph. After reading the horror stories from the few folks who had catastrophic SBC failure, I regularly play out in my mind and through actual physical practice what I would do if the red screen of death comes up: right foot standing on the brake pedal like Fred Flintstone, left foot stomping on the parking brake, and using my left hand to downshift the transmission via shifter button as fast as I can...

had the red screen of death come on when the accumulator went out all the sudden on the freeway goin 75mph ..... scared the HELL out of me im a bodybuilder an was stomping on the brake so hard an even then doesnt stop worth a **** so i too used the parking brake which helped ALOT i didnt think to downshift but that woulda helped as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by bbirdwell

FWIW, it was over 120 pages I emailed to our newest addition to the sub-forum..
Ok now I'm scared.

Isn't there a counter to let you know when to change it out?
Old 01-26-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 969 Likes on 753 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
W211 SBC actuation count check

I believe it was Shardul that says the maximum number of actuations is 598K. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread. Older posts were saying SBC would throw the white warning symbols on the dash at 300K actuations. As of last August, mine showed 285,479 actuations. If/when it throws the white warning symbol, I'll post. You need the developer's kit to perform the following. FWIW, you have multiple solenoids in the SBC unit and an actuation counts every time one of them actuates (eg, traction control).

W211 SBC count check or reset

Start engine. (Note: Engine does not need to be running to only obtain count.)
Start xentry, go through menus for your vehicle and go to:
Control units
Chassis
SBC sensotronic brake control
development data
Actuations (should be at the bottom of the menu so scroll if necessary)
Complete index of Actuations

Break: To only get the count, select “Bremsenzaehler (DF_GetBrLiveTime)”. This returns the total count to date.
Stop here if only getting the count and back out of the menu using the F1 key. Continue if you wish to reset.

Bremsenzahler aktualisieren und Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Bremsenzahler auf beliebigen Wert setzen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
Lebensdauerzahler F neu berechenen und schreiben
set ulNBR to 0, click F3
log out of xentry
Do not turn off car.
Drive or let idle for at least 10 minutes. (NOTE: 10 minutes is minimum time required due to the data collection parameters in the distributed digital control system.)
The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
MACEDON (01-26-2018), Pmarino (03-14-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Scary

these stories are honestly scary lol. I’ll definitely be checking it. Don’t worry I plan not to cheap out on parts as it is an amg!