Does timing chain need maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Does timing chain need maintenance?

My car is at the shop currently for the transmission but the mechanic brought up that he heard noise from the timing chain area. I've been wondering what the click clacking was at idle and when I really gun it, at WOT it almost sounds like an exhaust leak which I drove myself mad to try to find, but really it's just been noise from the engine bay.

Now, I couldn't tell if the high pitches slapping noise was from the mid length headers I had put in or if the engine just sounds like that on it's own but it must be something with the timing, and it's tensioner.

Now, I remember reading that there are people with this issue who just left it alone and were fine, am I making things up?

How necessary is maintenance on the timing chain ****? What does it involve? Cost?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
these engines do seem to have a loud timing chain on them with higher miles,, the chain tensioners wear and the chain stretches a little,, not sure of the cost to repair but guessing it would be 2k+ ,, while your ripping the front of the engine apart change out the waterpump, I would not do it unless it was excessive but that's just me - mines got 105k on it and its has a little clatter at idle but quiet in the rest of the rpm range
Old 02-21-2018, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I know that it will involve removing everything, accessory drive, pulleys, engine cover, radiator/fan, timing covers. And will not be cheap, as there is about 8 hours of labor involved to complete that task.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
I had abnormal engine noise several months ago. The symptoms I noticed were cold starts that sounded like the timing chain was slapping against the cover (which only lasted for a few seconds) and a louder than usual exhaust note under the hood during quick accelerations.

I noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the oil filter housing on to the A/C compressor during a routine checkup. I replaced the seals for the oil housing, oil cooler, and oil lines. It resolved my oil leak and the abnormal noise as well.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
From what I've seen and read the answer is no. These motors are just loud so that's what you're hearing. Lots of threads going way back with people asking if their motors were okay.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by O-55
I had abnormal engine noise several months ago. The symptoms I noticed were cold starts that sounded like the timing chain was slapping against the cover (which only lasted for a few seconds) and a louder than usual exhaust note under the hood during quick accelerations.

I noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the oil filter housing on to the A/C compressor during a routine checkup. I replaced the seals for the oil housing, oil cooler, and oil lines. It resolved my oil leak and the abnormal noise as well.

i pray that you don't fall to the same fate as myself. I replaced those 2 green o-rings for the oil cooler lines due to oil leak and a month later the o-ring for the oil cooler thermostat started leaking real real bad.

had to pay for double labor as they had to remove the same parts and more as previous.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
The noise doesn't bother me at all because I'm ****ing tired of trying to figure out if my engine is okay or about to die. It just tore through the transmission so I'm not too worried.

I do have an oil leak towards the front though, it is some pump right above the front drain plug and I don't really know what part it is... maybe the oil pump?

If there's no real need to replace the chain then I'm not going to bother with it for a while .The car has 105k very hard driven miles from what I can tell and I'm about exhausted of spending money in the 1 year of ownership. It's been a constant headache and so far it's been a good 8/54 weeks in the shop ffs...
Old 02-21-2018, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by O-55

My guess is you may have resolved a bleed down issue that allowed the cam adjusters to rattle until pressure was up. I had the problem once with a poorly seated oil filter.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
It's the oil pump chain slapping against the timing cover. The tensioner spring gets weak with age. Common problem, never heard of one failing. If you drain the front sump into a black pan, you will find aluminum shavings in the oil. It's a big hassle to change the spring. Search experimental chain tensioner if you want to see my screwy solution to the problem. There was a lot of discussion about this a few years back.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (04-12-2018)