Sponsored by:

E55 higher mileage reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Originally Posted by Pengui6668
Seems to be the popular opinion. I'm going to look at it sunday, and see what the bottom line is. I'm not overpaying for a car that may need $3,500 off the bat in maintenance items potentially.
I'm going to go today and offer him maybe 13.5k. There is another one out there right now that has on 43k miles on it for 15k but was highly modded before so it could be a crap shoot.

Last edited by arhoads; 07-06-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Everyone has an idea of what they want. Yours may be a nice OG car untouched and others modded and go fast.
But 13k for stock or 15k modded with 43k miles. I’m going with modded.
Of course this all depends on quality of the build and and parts used.

Mine had 57k on it modded and it would have cost me more to buy a nice car, all the parts and do the work myself.
The following users liked this post:
arhoads (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM

e55
Originally Posted by tlambert
Everyone has an idea of what they want. Yours may be a nice OG car untouched and others modded and go fast.
But 13k for stock or 15k modded with 43k miles. I’m going with modded.
Of course this all depends on quality of the build and and parts used.

Mine had 57k on it modded and it would have cost me more to buy a nice car, all the parts and do the work myself.
Found the owner on here of the one OP is talking about that has 91k on it with headers tune and pulley. He seems very knowledgeable and probably saw this thread haha.
The one I mentioned that has 43k miles has a pulley and a tune on it but was de-modded so it would sell already has a e63 front bumper. tough choice since the 43k mile one could have some bad oil leaks in its future from not being driven much.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:46 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by arhoads
Found the owner on here of the one OP is talking about that has 91k on it with headers tune and pulley. He seems very knowledgeable and probably saw this thread haha.
The one I mentioned that has 43k miles has a pulley and a tune on it but was de-modded so it would sell already has a e63 front bumper. tough choice since the 43k mile one could have some bad oil leaks in its future from not being driven much.
My car had 24,000 miles when I bought it over a year ago. The only leak is the rear main seal which is only "sweating" according to the dealer. I think just about all of these cars have some degree of rear main seal leak. I am not going to fix it unless it gets significantly worse or the transmission needs removing for some other reason. Other than that most things are very easy to fix, the oil cooler seals, valve/breather cover seals, new vacuum hoses from the valve covers etc. I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about mods though. Pulley, tune and heat exchanger pump is about all I would want to see on one of these to buy. The more intense mods need to be done right including headers and not everyone does (just general opinion, I don't know anything about the particular cars you are looking at). You don't want to get a new car and then start getting exhaust leaks, cracks or deal with strange wiring issues or throttle body upgrades not working properly.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG, CL55 AMG, C32 AMG, e46 M3, Ducati 996, s197 Mustang
Originally Posted by Pengui6668
Hey all, I’ve been in the market for a muscley sedan for a while now, and I’m thinking the W211 E55 is right for me. It’s got features I want, a great engine (from what I’ve read), and it’s an MB, which I’ve always wanted.

Im looking at a 2005 right now with 91k on the clock. It had some work done at 30k, receipts from the shop, no major repairs on carfax, so I’m sold, but I have literally zero experience with these cars. I studied Audi S4s for a LONG time, so I know the ins and outs of them, but with a third child, that backseat just wasn’t working. I’ve done some research on the car, and the drivetrain seems to be pretty much bulletproof, but I’m wondering what specific things I should be looking for when I go to check out the car.

From the owner’s description “Has an evosport stage 2 performance kit which was installed by original owner at about 30k miles which includes shorty headers, 80mm crank pulley, plugs/wires, and a tune. Its a proven setup with excellent reliability rated at 580hp”. Is this a known setup? Any issues with it that have been found out over the years?

im prepared to take on the increased fuel costs (this is a weekend toy anyway, I have a company car for day to day stuff) and I’m fully aware what routine maintenance (plugs and wires, pads and rotors, etc), but I really need an expert to tell me where things would have gone wrong by now, what to look for in reference to a shoddy repair of said issue, and when my next major maintenance issue is going to pop up (car is at 91k right now)

Any help would be much appreciated.
I had a 2003 E55 for a long time. I racked it up to 190k miles!!! It ran great, I had alternator go out, cooling system I replaced and kept up on the maintenance. It was clean as a whistle also. Super super clean.. I mean SPOTLESS. No leaks. No airmatic problems. I highly recommend them. But I love my E63 a little more 😎
Old 07-21-2018, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
No Airmatic problems for the entire 190K miles? Did you own the car its entire 190K miles? That's amazing that you didn't have Airmatic problems, with some people having it as early as the first two years of ownership. I'm currently wondering how many Airmatic struts will my car consume in its lifetime!
Old 07-21-2018, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Check my other thread Great queston, Yes, if maintained impeccably well. You will pay a higher premium but it's well worth it.

My chassis has 148k, original motor fully built by weistec engineering 750 hp Went to my buddies car. I got his low mileage 50k mile gem. Both engines stock runs like beasts. My car doesn't burn a drop of oil not a puff of smoke and runs smooth and very reliable.

I never had any engine or performance mods to my car in the last 13 years. Just a cm30 intercooer pump. No tune, just stock amg power has been good enough for me.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
The car in question was sold, but not to anyone in the thread. Thanks for the good remarks. I already miss the car.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:44 PM

2005 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Great car

I am totally in love and dedicated to my e55. They are not cheap to run but much better than comparable cars. I’m sitting at 107k, daily driven. Small issues come up every few months but totally worth it for me. Well maintained examples are very livable, even fuel economy. I average around 19, with 70% highway driving. With a big budget in case something big comes up, and lots of care for maintenance, I would say these cars are still daily drivable today.