Sponsored by:

Illuminated door sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Illuminated door sills

Just go the illuminated sills installed - very cool. Had the dealer order the parts directly from AMG/Merc. No problems - they arrived in three days. Cost was $1100.

Installation was a b***H! Five hours plus wires and relays. For those who have not seen the sills they are very high quality -and should be for that price.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
pics?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 AM

E55
Alas I have no digital camera - I'll get a friend to atke pics this weekend.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Here are mine:

corgiman: By the way, which dealer helped you order them. I always heard that AMG wouldn't sell to people in the US. Can you give me more information regarding your contact? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Harris, how would you compare the door sills you provide to the AMG direct ones? Just curious to see what you think...

Anyone have those installed?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:57 PM

E55
That's it !! Thanks T-bone! It's hard to convey in a photo but the peices are really high quality. Just the AMG part is cut - out but they inlaid lexan so the whole surface is flush. As far as I can tell they are not bulbs - it's electroluminescent. And all all 4 doors are separate. I think they also time out if the door is left open.

I got the parts from MB Greenway but I also called Star Motor Cars with the part number. Both places said they could get the part. I tried with the LSD and they said not on their system.

The part number is B6 602 1043.

Last edited by corgiman; 06-04-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:00 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
What is it 1100 just parts or including labor??
Old 06-04-2004, 02:03 PM

E55
PArts only = 1100. Install = 500. Ouch!! However on the AMG price list they sell the parts for like 680 euros which is about 850 dollars. That's without shipping etc. And they quote about 500 dollars for installation at AMG. Overall I didn't think the price was too much higher than if I did it at AMG.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ThemisN
Harris, how would you compare the door sills you provide to the AMG direct ones? Just curious to see what you think...

Anyone have those installed?
Ummm....I wouldnt say the one that I offer is exactly the same as the Mercedes ones, but very close. We both have the same construction, my edge is we offer custom lettering. You can put whatever letterings you want. Plus our price is lower.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
How much lower is your price Harris, with your birthday discount?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by W210
How much lower is your price Harris, with your birthday discount?
I dont like to discuss pricing on the forum, shoot me an e-mail pls.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:47 AM

E55
Those do look nice but fat price. Here food for thought. How can MB charge that for those and my RX 330...an SUV no less...comes with them from the factory. Another orenital mystery
Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 AM

E55
I agree that the price was outrageous. And I wondered the same thing about the cornering headlamps. MB announces them first. Then there are delays........ In the meantime I see that Lexus has them in production........

Don't know how they do it.

I once had an engineer friend describe different engineers thus:

US = always the cheapest solution.
GB = the most practical soultion
Japan = Never had an original idea but exquisitely made/adapted
German = Comes up with an idea and makes it work no matter how complex or costly it becomes. Also known as "not invented here" syndrome.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
wow, illuminated door sills are beautiful... i think i wont have a prob adding a $400 option to my SLK 55 order.

Thanks, and pics look great!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:54 PM

1998 Silver C43
here check out my publication on benzworld

click here

Also cost was $180 shipped and took the length of one CD to install.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Illuminated Front and Rear Door Sills, Electric Folding mirrors (W203)

Front and rear door sills look on a high light intensity environment (like in the middle of the day, when door sills will not lit due to the surrounding high light environment --detected by light sensor--)

Front and rear door sills look on a low light intensity environment (door sills lit due to the surrounding low light environment --detected by light sensor--)

Close up of illuminated rear door sill

Close up of illuminated front door sill

A little foot note to the sills:

Rear door sills are not your "clip ons" you can buy on other websites, they are custom made by Mr Harris from http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com

Front door sills are the OEM Mercedes Benz product

Cost of installing them????... whelp???? I had them both done at the Mercedes Benz dealership, so the cost to install them was actually MORE than the cost of the sills themselves (they were both installed the "Mercedes Benz" way... which means dismantell half the car and route power from the rear to the front of the vehicle. There is a "flip" side to this though... there are instructions provided and there are many members on the board whom have actually done the work themselves on their own cars... there are even instructions posted how to "do it yourself" out there... Mr Harris from http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com WILL provide you with the set of instructions actually... he even insisted to give them to me... however, in my case, all I asked if the custom rear ones "could be installed the Mercedes Benz way" which Mr Harris responded with a cool "Yes they can!"... though is not price recommended. Time to install by the dealer 3.5 hours each time (3.5 hours for the front, 3.5 hours for the rear... again, had all 4 been installed at the same time, it would have been only 3.5 hours for all 4)

If I had installed all 4 door sills at the same time, then the price of installation would have not been price prohibitive. I basically was charge TWICE to install the sills... the first time for the fronts... and the second time for the rears (as in each instance the car had to be basically dismantelled --panels, etc, etc-- to rout epower for the sills)... I was not able to take pictures of the work as the local M Benz dealership for "legal" reasons would not allow me to...

The good thing is that they (sills) are ALL there and work beautifly...

W203 FOLDING MIRRORS... ahhhhhh!!!!... Dear Mr Darth Vader!!!!! (that is Vader13 on this MbWorld forum to all of you out there )... the dark side of the Brabus clouds everything... (Star Wars Darth Vader's neumonia type heavy breathing!!!...)

W203 outside frame for mirrors with folding feature (for Xenon headlights, another swtich part is needed for non-Xenon versions --switch looks the same, just the part No is diff as switch for non-Xenons will not work with Xenon lights and viceversa--)

New dash switch for W203 folding mirrors (for Xenon headlights, another swtich part is needed for non-Xenon versions --switch looks the same, just the part No is diff as switch for non-Xenons will not work with Xenon lights and viceversa--)

Dash unit switch detail for W203 folding mirrors (for Xenon headlights, another swtich part is needed for non-Xenon versions --switch looks the same, just the part No is diff as switch for non-Xenons will not work with Xenon lights and viceversa--)

I "concentrated" a bit too much ordering the switch to get the "right" color that matched my C32's dash color (there are "several" dark shades in color optionsm, so in the electronic parts catalog all that "showed" was the part No. with a different color and we had about 4 different shades of "dark" or charcoal, blach interior colors... solution???... with the VIN No. the dealer in Germany was able to determine for sure what was the matching color of my dash swtich) and though I suceeded getting the right swtich, the "folding" mirror frames you see on the picture actually dont fold at all!!!... haha!!... (well, I am not laughing since the shipping and everything is already done!)... lack of asking them to verify the mirror frames were the correct part No(s) which I forgot to do, I gave the ok to Germany to ship me the part... whelp??? they all got here fine... just wrong mirror frame parts!!!...

I am in the process of having the correct parts sent... (folding mirrors WILL be installed also by the local Mercedes Benz dealer... again, it won't be cheap the labor.. so I am NOT endorsing to anyone to do it that way ... )

Cheers!

Wiedermann