Sponsored by:

SBC warranty extended to 25 years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by E55amg0220
Would be really cool if this is true cus one thing i hate bout the e55 is its brake by wire system .... would tear it out an replace with a convential one if i could.

If you've ever had to stand on them in a reducing radius off ramp in the rain... you will realize how amazing this systems is, when you don't spin out of control.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by thtguy
If you've ever had to stand on them in a reducing radius off ramp in the rain... you will realize how amazing this systems is, when you don't spin out of control.
and when ur going 75mph down the freeway and the pump fails an ur left with just the puny backup system coming up on stopped traffic an u have to stand on the brake as hard as u can ( and i leg press over 1200 lbs ) and have to employ the E-brake and still have to pull off onto the side do as to not hit the cars in front of you .... you'll realize what a POS they are. Been a certified tech for more than 30 years and these systems are crap hence why they stopped using them.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e500
Yes. Every bit of this is true. I received the letter with the extended warranty info on 8/28/2018 and picked up my refund check from the local Mercedes today ($2347.46). I own the E500 and had brake failure last year, with my 3 nephews in the car: 7, 6, and 3. That car nearly killed us. I had my attorney write Mercedes and reported it to every agency available including NHTSA. You can look up my complaint at www.nhtsa.gov ID #11004205 and read all about it. I really didn't think anything would come of it, but the bad guys did not win. I also didn't feel comfortable selling the car because of the issues with it, but I feel much better about driving the car now.

Let me know if you would like to see a copy of the document.

Cheers,
G
The following users liked this post:
newe55guy (09-19-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 SL400 and 2004 SL500
Smile SBC Warranty Great!

Originally Posted by novae500
finally MB did an extended warranty for the SBC. mine took a dump and was the accumulator and sbc unit itself, which i had replaced. Too bad can't get reimbursed for the $$$
I got my letter in mail today - covers pretty much everything in SBC system.

They will reimburse you if you paid for it.

Value of SL500's just went up!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Did you ever get your refund check?! I used an Indy and turned in my paperwork almost 3 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything!

Originally Posted by dyloor
Hi All,

This situation is a pet peeve of mine. I received a letter from MB yesterday stating that the SBC warranty is not 25 Year/unlimited miles. It also stated that you should take the car to a MB dealer to make the repair. In the case you have had the work done at other than a MB dealer you can submit for reimbursement and they may/may not reimburse you for the repair. In my case I used a independent that when the work was done he interfaced with MB in Germany to set up/program the SBC. I am hoping this shop is MB approved. I plan on sending my claim in for reimbursement in the next 30 days and will post the results when I hear back from MB.

Spread the word as there are many of us who had this repair made with our own dime...

Thanks
Old 10-19-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
and when ur going 75mph down the freeway and the pump fails an ur left with just the puny backup system coming up on stopped traffic an u have to stand on the brake as hard as u can ( and i leg press over 1200 lbs ) and have to employ the E-brake and still have to pull off onto the side do as to not hit the cars in front of you .... you'll realize what a POS they are. Been a certified tech for more than 30 years and these systems are crap hence why they stopped using them.
Nothing about this statement is accurate. Look up the history from Bosch and their development of SBC. The computer controlled brakes are far, far superior in reacting to a trouble situation, because most people don't hit the brakes hard enough initially to avoid a crash and then panic.

In 2007 Mercedes went back to traditional brake systems because it was cheaper, and they were financially in dire straights and wanted to change their entire lineup of cars. They even stopped producing the SL line of cars for an ENTIRE YEAR. Cerberus' acquisition of 80% of Chrysler in 2007 dissolved the disastrous partnership made in 1998 between Mercedes and Chrysler and after the fact Cerberus accused Daimler of intentionally misleading their financials before it sold their controlling stake to the private equity firm (rough 8b).

Anyway, if your brake master cylinder fails going 75mph down the freeway, you're just as screwed whether it's controlled by computer or not. These systems aren't prone to failure.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
Nothing about this statement is accurate. Look up the history from Bosch and their development of SBC. The computer controlled brakes are far, far superior in reacting to a trouble situation, because most people don't hit the brakes hard enough initially to avoid a crash and then panic.

In 2007 Mercedes went back to traditional brake systems because it was cheaper, and they were financially in dire straights and wanted to change their entire lineup of cars. They even stopped producing the SL line of cars for an ENTIRE YEAR. Cerberus' acquisition of 80% of Chrysler in 2007 dissolved the disastrous partnership made in 1998 between Mercedes and Chrysler and after the fact Cerberus accused Daimler of intentionally misleading their financials before it sold their controlling stake to the private equity firm (rough 8b).

Anyway, if your brake master cylinder fails going 75mph down the freeway, you're just as screwed whether it's controlled by computer or not. These systems aren't prone to failure.
this is all great to know as your brakes have failed and you cause a major accident as a result I’m sure I’ll be thinking about the financial troubles Mercedes had in the past. You obviously never been in one when it stops working, if you have and YES I have you’ll get very quickly how dangerous it is. It happens with no warning the second your dash lights up red is when it stops working. Not sure if it had 5% braking or not but I can tell you even from 20mph it was a struggle to get it to slow down. I’m not trying to bash on you but till your in the situation you just have no idea. Mercedes should regardless of cost replace them, it’s abnormally dangerous and will serious hurt and kill. Here is the keys to a 4000+lb car ohh and by the way brakes will eventually stop working without warning good luck to you and everyone around you. When you allow this to go on your basically that’s what there saying. It’s easy to speak about it when you haven’t been in that situation and in my opinion it’s very inconsiderate.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
I've had power steering and brake cylinders fail on me while driving. Neither is a good time. I've also had the rear end of my V12 BMW seize up, jam and sheer/break off the transmission rear shaft while driving on the freeway - a rear differential that's said to "never break."

All master brake cylinders have a secondary system that's about 20% of normal brake power. As long as you're driving to conditions, unless it was a surprise coming up to a red light at exactly the wrong time there's no reason why the car couldn't be brought to a stop.

Whether it's SBC or not, you can easily have the master cylinder fail. The computer controls have nothing to do with it. You're more likely to spin out in the rain or snow, or a turn from improper driving with 500 hp and no SBC than you are to have an SBC failure directly cause your crash.

I'm curious --- was this a car with low mileage that was relatively new, or something you bought used?

The SBC system is still superior for driving, safety, and handling. It's that system they're using on the Lamborghini Aventador right now --- because it's the best.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 243 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
I've had a couple of situations where I had to mash the brakes and come to an unexpected stop - the SBC system saved my ***. They're simply the BEST brakes I've ever had on a car, bar none.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Your post is the best example why my cars don’t go to MB. 30 years in business and still no clue, and hate towards a brake system that was ahead of its time.

MB switched back because of two reasons. 1.) Technology moves on and conventional systems can almost do what only SBC could have done. 2.) It’s a cheaper system.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I've always suspected a third reason... liability. MB doesn't do an extended warranty until they determine that it's cheaper than a class action lawsuit or a recall. Just like the fuel leak in the cabin issue. And they only did it for the US because we were all hassling the NTSB about it.
Gotta say though, the traction control and stopping is astonishingly good. I played with it when there was little patches of black ice all over the road.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E240 -2003 E55 AMG -2005
Originally Posted by PieRat
Is this for outside usa as well maybe?
Asia Pacific including NZ are not included in the recall I checked with Mercedes Star Dealership in Wellington
Old 10-25-2018, 03:09 AM

E320
Angry

Originally Posted by carguyshu
read on the FB page from an MB tech that it was internally announced that the warranty on the SBC unit is being extended out to 25 years. no word yet on if they will be providing reimbursement like they did with the fuel tank issue. I'll post as soon as more info is available, but apparently if you check your VIN in the VMI system it has already been updated to reflect the new warranty period
They still would not honor the warranty at my local dealership with the response that my car is not on the list. After 4 attempts and multiple occasions of losing my breaks while driving even on the freeway, the car was parked in my garage and had caught fire! I filed a report with the NHTSA and they don't have my 2005 E320 123k original miles on the list of recalls either. I know mercedes had asked that it would be a confidential matter and all the letters regarding certain findings are blacked out as if was a report released from the CIA. I contacted corporate who said it was but at this point car needs much more repairs and they had me send it to the dealer who won't do anything unless I pay them to fix it, then to diagnose it to determine who is liable as if they didn't already know but how can I even trust they would do an honest diagnosis and hold themselves accountable? I already paid for the unit to be replaced in march as well and got hustled by a small supposedly authorized shop who never mentioned the recall or even the new bracket, but I still had all the same problems after the repairs. I could have died, or worse taken the lives of others when the car would randomly decide to shut off leaving me without breaks. I read over 2million cars are affected and at the beginning I just wanted my car fixed properly but to be honest this **** pisses me off and its all for money at the price of peoples lives! I am not sure what to do
Old 10-25-2018, 08:31 AM

2017 GLS 550
Most of these failures, and I am using the keyword "MOST", are due to resetting the "life timer" on the brake system, and continuing on their merry way without replacing or rebuilding the pump/motor. Of the 4 people I know who have had a complete failure, and could barely stop, all of them used an ebay reset tool, to reset, I told all 4, resetting is only a temp fix, and that they should either get their Pump replaced, or rebuild the pump motor with new brushes. I get that there are some that failed, while within their normal operating range, but you have failures like that with all types of cars, ever had a diesel vacuum pump fail, or the vacuum booster fail, while driving a car with an assisted conventional brake system. It stops just about as well as your W211 with a failed SBC pump.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 AM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by Mackhack

Your post is the best example why my cars don’t go to MB. 30 years in business and still no clue, and hate towards a brake system that was ahead of its time.

MB switched back because of two reasons. 1.) Technology moves on and conventional systems can almost do what only SBC could have done. 2.) It’s a cheaper system.
Agree, SBC was so far ahead of its time, with what it could do, Conventional systems are just now catching up, and since they are using the ABS pump, to do the selective braking, it is similar to the SBC system, and I bet we will eventually see these failures with the ABS systems. I know the first gen Ford Fusion has an issue with the ABS pumps failing, and pedal going to the floor. NHTSA, still trying to decide if it should be a recall.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

The best thing is that a reset of the threshold counter (with Chinese reset tool or SD) is stored permanently in the shadow memory. MB (not the dealership) receives the old units for inspections and they do their own analysis. The 25 year/unlimited warranty will be void. Guaranteed.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:26 AM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
The best thing is that a reset of the threshold counter (with Chinese reset tool or SD) is stored permanently in the shadow memory. MB (not the dealership) receives the old units for inspections and they do their own analysis. The 25 year/unlimited warranty will be void. Guaranteed.
Lol
Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz S430
Originally Posted by l pagan
It's official , I got the letter today from Mercedes Benz telling me that the SBC brake system has been extended for 25 years unlimited mileage . I'm feeling really good tonight knowing that is now covered.
i would love to get a copy of this letter for myself.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
Lol

why the LOL ? true or BS ? or Merc never looks at them being so old ?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:09 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz S430
Originally Posted by Fermin Grajales
does that cover w220???
Old 01-26-2019, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 754 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7547054
Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fermin Grajales
If MBUSA has your current address,...
Old 01-26-2019, 03:42 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by new55
why the LOL ? true or BS ? or Merc never looks at them being so old ?
It is truly a risk you take. And it is also a terrible idea. If your braking system needs replacement.... it needs replacement.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:40 AM

E500 2004 w211
Hi!!
Where is can get this document? Im from México and my E500 runs well but i have to anticipate myself if i have a problem in the near future.

Thanx!!

Here you go. Official Letter & Warranty Placard for 25 year extension, Original 10 year Extension letter to NHTSA (which was actually 15 years if you read the service bulletin - they just didn't tell anyone), and the official 2015 Mercedes Service Bulletin. I've always found it easier to argue with dealer idiots by producing this type of legal documentation when informing them certain items are under warranty. They can't dismiss it. Just print it out and bring it in. You won't be reimbursed for replacements done outside of warranty without a significant amount of grief, given their requirement of diagnosing it themselves (so I've heard).
Old 02-15-2022, 12:38 PM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Riccardo_pl
Hi!!
Where is can get this document? Im from México and my E500 runs well but i have to anticipate myself if i have a problem in the near future.

Thanx!!
Your post is number 99 in this thread and in post number 96 a link is posted that includes both. You may want to read the full thread.