Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal, Engine/Trans Mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 11:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Rear Main Seal, Engine/Trans Mounts

Hi there, new very happy CLS55 owner here.

just bought the car and took it to dealer for its first service since I’ve purchased the car.

in addition to the routine fluid swaps, the techs suggest I replace my rear main seal and engine and trans mounts. For mounts and seal, they’re charging $3000.

is that a fair price?
also, I have all dealer service records and this is the second or third time in the vehicles life (80k miles) that these parts have been replaced. Is this common?

thanks!
Old 02-09-2022, 08:14 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 Crossfire (w/M113K), 2006 E55 AMG
First off, are there any apparent problems that you are noticing? Lots of vibration? Oil leaks?
Old 02-09-2022, 09:27 AM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by nemiro
First off, are there any apparent problems that you are noticing? Lots of vibration? Oil leaks?
there is supposedly oil pooling in the bell housing
Old 02-09-2022, 09:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 e55
I’m not sure about the rear main seal, but the engine and trans mounts shouldn’t add that much to your total!!
Old 02-09-2022, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63
Originally Posted by Apollo90
there is supposedly oil pooling in the bell housing
do you see oil drips on the ground? if not leave the seal alone. You can replace the trans mount yourself, quick and easy, it probably takes you more time to jack up the car than replacing the trans mount. For motor mounts, when I did mines it was about $700 including parts and labor (in 2018) on my w211.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:59 AM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by cls55omg2020
do you see oil drips on the ground? if not leave the seal alone. You can replace the trans mount yourself, quick and easy, it probably takes you more time to jack up the car than replacing the trans mount. For motor mounts, when I did mines it was about $700 including parts and labor (in 2018) on my w211.
no oil on the ground at all which is what surprised me. And thanks for your input!!
Old 02-09-2022, 10:13 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 Crossfire (w/M113K), 2006 E55 AMG
There's your answer. The rear main seal is probably the most significant cost driver in that estimate. The seal is fairly in expensive, but would require transmission removal to service. Motor mounts are a straightforward job, but if you don't have all the tools, then may be best left to someone else. I agree with the previous poster, the trans mount is a piece of cake with hand tools and a floor jack.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Hi there, new very happy CLS55 owner here.

just bought the car and took it to dealer for its first service since I’ve purchased the car.

in addition to the routine fluid swaps, the techs suggest I replace my rear main seal and engine and trans mounts. For mounts and seal, they’re charging $3000.

is that a fair price?
also, I have all dealer service records and this is the second or third time in the vehicles life (80k miles) that these parts have been replaced. Is this common?

thanks!
It's not uncommon for these cars to eat up engine mounts. They are a DITY project, though not easy. I think $3k sounds high, but since it includes the seal, it could be fair. Probably everyone on this board has dealt with a leaky main seal at some point or another. It's a known issue on these. I've heard mounts (engine and tranny) run in the sub $1k range. The parts alone are about $150. Good luck and enjoy your car.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:36 PM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by WesttxJR
It's not uncommon for these cars to eat up engine mounts. They are a DITY project, though not easy. I think $3k sounds high, but since it includes the seal, it could be fair. Probably everyone on this board has dealt with a leaky main seal at some point or another. It's a known issue on these. I've heard mounts (engine and tranny) run in the sub $1k range. The parts alone are about $150. Good luck and enjoy your car.

thank you (and everyone else in the thread).
I did go ahead and authorize the repairs.

For anyone wondering, I changed differential and engine oil, trans fluid, rear main seal, replaced engine and trans mounts, and they adjusted and lubed front wheel bearings. All for $3600. Not a bad deal at all IMO.

Have been enjoying driving around with more confidence

Old 02-15-2022, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
thank you (and everyone else in the thread).
I did go ahead and authorize the repairs.

For anyone wondering, I changed differential and engine oil, trans fluid, rear main seal, replaced engine and trans mounts, and they adjusted and lubed front wheel bearings. All for $3600. Not a bad deal at all IMO.

Have been enjoying driving around with more confidence
find yourself a good local mechanic without the overhead of the dealer. You will get a much better labor rate.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:31 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
Of course there’s always more that one could’ve had done after the fact. But replacing the rubber disc’s at each side of the drive shaft, with new bolts that come with them, would have been a good thing to replace since the drive shaft has to be removed for the Rear Main Seal. Also the mid-bearing and rubber booty is a rather easy thing to do if your removing the drive shaft. With the tranny out is a good time to renew any shifter bushings as mine were toast when I did mine. Of course the techs will rarely renew anything on their own if they aren’t directed to do so or given the OK beforehand, but it’s worth mentioning. This is why I do most things myself because I always find things to be renewed once I’m “in there”.

Last edited by E63007; 03-04-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by E63007
Of. Purse there’s always more that one could’ve had done after the fact. But replacing the rubber disc’s at each side of the drive shaft, with new bolts that come with them, would have been a good thing to replace since the drive shaft has to be removed for the Rear Main Seal. Also the mid-bearing and rubber booty is a rather easy thing to do if your removing the drive shaft. With the tranny out is a good time to renew any shifter bushings as mine were toast when I did mine. Of course the techs will rarely renew anything on their own if they aren’t directed to do so or given the OK beforehand, but it’s worth mentioning. This is why I do most things myself because I always find things to be renewed once I’m “in there”.
"Since I am in here" are some of the most expensive words I have ever uttered.