Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
04 E55 AMG

Same part number same sub part number 0106 only the donor valve body has vastly different springs for the operating pressure regulating valve. This one came off an 06 cls55 amg. Interesting. Will put everything back together and see how she runs. Keep ya all posted.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
So. I can go into a lot of detail about how all this works. This is what I do for a living. Specifically this transmission. What I understand is you are chasing that at part throttle your transmission shifts at slightly different RPM than you think it should. Correct? You are changing springs that in the lets say many hundreds of valve bodies. Maybe thousands. I have never seen any problem with springs. Only on the very early valve bodies one would brake. I mean circa 1996-99.
You put a new tcu in your car. I would guess that is why it is shifting differently. If you go changing springs then you are going to cause problems and probably ruin your transmission.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 PM

04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by whipplem104
So. I can go into a lot of detail about how all this works. This is what I do for a living. Specifically this transmission. What I understand is you are chasing that at part throttle your transmission shifts at slightly different RPM than you think it should. Correct? You are changing springs that in the lets say many hundreds of valve bodies. Maybe thousands. I have never seen any problem with springs. Only on the very early valve bodies one would brake. I mean circa 1996-99.
You put a new tcu in your car. I would guess that is why it is shifting differently. If you go changing springs then you are going to cause problems and probably ruin your transmission.
Thank you for your reply.
The original problem was early shifting and upon start up the car would be in limp mode until I drive it for a few feet put it in neutral shut it off and then put it in park and limp mode would be gone and I could manually shift just fine, however sports and comfort mode both shift early. I replaced the conductor plate and TCM plug and that did not fix the problem. I would be in 5th gear at 40 mph which is way too soon, around 1100-1200 RPMs. I then tried the TCM and that did not fix the problem. Now, I am not changing out springs. I am just swapping out the valve body in hopes that my old valve body was the cause of the early shifting and limp mode upon start up. I just wanted to document that the springs are different in these valve bodies.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:35 PM

04 E55 AMG
Everything is back together with the new valve body and works great. Thank you all for the help 👍