Sponsored by:

Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Head Unit

Im looking for a stock looking aftermarket head unit. Works properly and still able to maintain my steering wheel controls has dvd to watch movies, apple car play and back up camera capable. Does anyone know of a really good shop here in los angeles area that knows our cars and is reasonable on pricing? I’m not at all interested in head units although probably better that are not stock looking at all. I absolutely hate adding plastic adapters and space fillers and think it looks horrible. If there is no option then I’m ok with keeping it stock and understand. If you guys know of a good shop and a good head unit thats stock looking I’d appreciate it. I’ve seen the options out there and know about the ebay stuff just want advise from experienced people on this.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
If you want to keep it stock looking the Android units are probably your only option.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 BRABUS E55 K8 & SL500
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-nworking.html
Old 09-02-2018, 08:45 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I know it isn't what you asked but check the link in my signature for mine, it is aftermarket but doesn't look too bad.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 BRABUS E55 K8 & SL500
Originally Posted by karpetcm
Im looking for a stock looking aftermarket head unit. Works properly and still able to maintain my steering wheel controls has dvd to watch movies, apple car play and back up camera capable. Does anyone know of a really good shop here in los angeles area that knows our cars and is reasonable on pricing? I’m not at all interested in head units although probably better that are not stock looking at all. I absolutely hate adding plastic adapters and space fillers and think it looks horrible. If there is no option then I’m ok with keeping it stock and understand. If you guys know of a good shop and a good head unit thats stock looking I’d appreciate it. I’ve seen the options out there and know about the ebay stuff just want advise from experienced people on this.
YOU wont be able to keep the VOL ans Phone part of the wheel. All other functions on mine work....
Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Non yet :(
I got an

Xtrons Xtrons

unit with a

fiber optics decoder fiber optics decoder

and took it to Pacific Stereo in Riverside. They where able to tap into the canbus and the steering wheel buttons work. I now run Android Auto with Headunit Reloaded from the Play Store. Also installed a backup camera.

I don't think there is an OEM looking option with Apple Crapplay.

Last edited by Dan0; 09-03-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1999 e55 (past), 2002 CLK55 (past), 2004 E55 (present), 2008 Z06
From what I've read in researching this same issue, the following appears to be a unit that meets your needs. I haven't bought it yet. Just relaying information.

http://www.dynavin.com/products/n7_mbe.php
Old 09-04-2018, 03:48 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I assume you have looked through Avin?
https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...w211-w219.html
The following users liked this post:
karpetcm (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2
I assume you have looked through Avin?
https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...w211-w219.html
No I haven't, now that I know that looks like it would be a pretty smooth install and what I'm looking for. The way I priced it out with the cable and back up camera, also I have navi comes out to about 749.00. Probably 300-400 for labor to install, I wont be doing it.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
They seem fairly good quality but I am pretty sure they are low cost Chinese units but again that doesn't necessarily make them good or bad. Beware that some of their units require you to buy and install their fibre optic converter whereas a couple of their units have this built in.

I only bought their converter and found it to be way overpriced and just a flimsy unit you can buy off aliexpress or whatever for half the cost. Works ok but I was expecting better for the price.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by Dan0
I got an

Xtrons

unit with a

fiber optics decoder
I've been using that setup for about a year, and I like it a lot. Has been as reliable and glitch-free as any other factory nav system made within the last 5 years that I've used. It's probably frozen on me twice, and every once in a while, the fiber optics decoder doesn't kick in when I start the car so I get no sound. Both are simple to remedy by shutting off the car and restarting.

Also the backup cam functionality on the Xtrons unit is pretty slick. Since it's tapped into the car's CAN, it has access to every other module on the network, including the one for steering position. So when you add a backup cam and enable the guide lines on the Xtrons unit, they actually bend and shift to indicate the direction you're heading just like with factory setups. I also have full volume control on my steering wheel, and I can also change the radio station from the wheel and have it display on the instrument cluster like stock.

My biggest complaint isn't actually with the unit itself, but just its position on the center console stack. It's too low, and it becomes a little unsafe at times trying to use and look at a touchscreen that sits so low while driving, I wish someone made a head unit that integrates with the center speaker on the top of the dash. That would be perfect.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GM_Lover
I've been using that setup for about a year, and I like it a lot. Has been as reliable and glitch-free as any other factory nav system made within the last 5 years that I've used. It's probably frozen on me twice, and every once in a while, the fiber optics decoder doesn't kick in when I start the car so I get no sound. Both are simple to remedy by shutting off the car and restarting.

Also the backup cam functionality on the Xtrons unit is pretty slick. Since it's tapped into the car's CAN, it has access to every other module on the network, including the one for steering position. So when you add a backup cam and enable the guide lines on the Xtrons unit, they actually bend and shift to indicate the direction you're heading just like with factory setups. I also have full volume control on my steering wheel, and I can also change the radio station from the wheel and have it display on the instrument cluster like stock.

My biggest complaint isn't actually with the unit itself, but just its position on the center console stack. It's too low, and it becomes a little unsafe at times trying to use and look at a touchscreen that sits so low while driving, I wish someone made a head unit that integrates with the center speaker on the top of the dash. That would be perfect.
Thanks for all this info. Could you explain how you have your backup camera set up? I was looking at doing the wireless transmitter on the camera side with the receiver on the HU side, and Avin offers this. What's your setup like?
Old 09-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
I have also been using an Xtrons unit as a replacement. My head unit has frozen a few times, but nothing that a reset wouldn't eliminate. I have the front cam, rear cam & dvr cams all setup as well. Quality is pretty good. The cameras just need an ignition power source & the video signal is connected via the rca cable. I don't have an exact link, but the backup camera is attached using your license plate bulb location.
My concern with the wireless transmitters is the boot up/connection time-it could be insignificant but I have no experience with them. The volume was not loud enough initially so I ran another set of speakers passively with their own amplifier, removed & replaced the stock sub with a different slim subwoofer + added its own amp as well.