W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxbore can NOT bore the molded actuator TBs

Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Maxbore can NOT bore the molded actuator TBs

Just wanted to post so hopefully no one does what I did. If you have one of the throttle bodies with the giant stupid rubber mold covering the actuator he can not bore it. Which obviously makes perfect sense since he removes the actuator and bores it and cuts a new butterfly and what not but it just didn't click to me until he emailed be and said he couldn't.

He was actually very good about it and fully refunded me and shipped it back so he really just lost money on the return shipping, and I was out the cost of shipping it to him.

So just to help prevent the same mistake I wanted to make a post about it if any one is searching for info on it or something maybe I can save them some head ache. Only send throttle body types with the removable plastic cover over the actuator and not the stupid giant rubber molded cover
Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Uhhh...the rubber molded cover comes off. Sometimes you'll need to use a utility or exact-o knife to cut the glue first as you peel the rubber back.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 PM

2005 E55
Does it have a regular plastic cover under or do you have to re-glue it back on?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
It has the plastic cover underneath. If you carefully remove the rubber cover without destroying it, you can simply put it back in place, it kind of wraps around the plastic cover and holds itself in place without glue. I imagine Maxbore doesn't want the liability of removing it, or doesn't want to spend the time.
The following users liked this post:
drothgeb (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 PM

2005 E55
That's great info thanks. I will rip the TB apart when I get home this weekend! Will report back for a little more data after it's done.

I did have email conversations with him before and after I sent my TB, it seemed very much so that he was not aware that the rubber was just over top of the plastic cover. But I will make sure he knows now and he can give any other E55 customers a heads up if they don't know.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
What's the plan forward, you going to send it back to him if you can get the rubber off? Unfortunately I live a bit across the pond so I don't have the luxury of sending mine away for a bore job, but thinking of just doing a shaft grind.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM

2005 E55
Yep plan now is to get that stupid cover off and send it in again haha. I did the shaft grind within the first week of having the car! Haha

Anyways ya, I already bored the SC snout so gotta get that TB done.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by drothgeb
Yep plan now is to get that stupid cover off and send it in again haha. I did the shaft grind within the first week of having the car! Haha

Anyways ya, I already bored the SC snout so gotta get that TB done.
Did you notice a difference after the shaft grind? Gonna be interesting to hear your thoughts after the lipo suction job coming
Old 09-23-2018, 01:02 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by C32owner
Did you notice a difference after the shaft grind? Gonna be interesting to hear your thoughts after the lipo suction job coming
I can't say I did. I had a bad IC pump I thinks till at the time and no other mods done.

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
It has the plastic cover underneath. If you carefully remove the rubber cover without destroying it, you can simply put it back in place, it kind of wraps around the plastic cover and holds itself in place without glue. I imagine Maxbore doesn't want the liability of removing it, or doesn't want to spend the time.
Well I got in there today and tried to dig that boot out a bit. Doesn't really seem feasible. It's like who ever put that boot on filled it with epoxy and stock it on the TB. I was able to get some edges peeled back but it didn't seem like have the edge pulled off allowed me to lift any more of the boot off, just the very small section I had pried. Like it was not only epoxied on the sides but on every where. Any ways I got a little scared of breaking stuff. Especially that plug that is 100% covered in epoxy with the boot around it as well.