Sponsored by:

New E55 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e55
Thumbs up New E55 Owner

So just picked up a 03 with 79k miles and a few mods. I am looking into going methanol injection since i live in the hot FL heat. I have a few questions on this however. I am not trying to increase power i just want to have it run as safe as possible and not have heat soak. Will i need a retune to run methanol? Do i need to add fuel for this? New injectors wont be required? Def dont want to lean it out!

Sorry for the questions, ive never done meth before LOL

Some info on it below.

Eurocharged lower pulley
Eurocharged headers
Eurocharged ecu / tcu tunes
LSD rear end
Transmission conductor plate and plug update
Upgraded tranny cooler
Rear Tank

Last edited by Drew Durham; 10-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by Drew Durham
So just picked up a 03 with 79k miles and a few mods. I am looking into going methanol injection since i live in the hot FL heat. I have a few questions on this however. I am not trying to increase power i just want to have it run as safe as possible and not have heat soak. Will i need a retune to run methanol? Do i need to add fuel for this? New injectors wont be required? Def dont want to lean it out!

Sorry for the questions, ive never done meth before LOL

Some info on it below.

Eurocharged lower pulley
Eurocharged headers
Eurocharged ecu / tcu tunes
LSD rear end
Transmission conductor plate and plug update
Upgraded tranny cooler
Rear Tank

Congrats on the new beast.

To answer your questions about the meth.
No you don't want to tune for the meth setup, so that current tune will stay.
Yes it will be safer running with the meth regarding AFR's as you will richen up, provided you have some sort of meth % in your mix.
No you will not need new injectors either.

Post up your install as you go.
Gl
Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
What size pulley(s?) are you running? With a trunk tank and mild pulley, water/math is probably overkill. What kind of IATs are you seeing? With any normal pulley combo, a trunk tank, and a good tune, you will be a lot safer without water/meth. Even a properly installed system can fail and hydro-lock your engine (although with the proper safeties: check valve and/or solenoid, this is unlikely).

If done right, water/meth can help reduce excessive IATs brought on by aggressive pulleys, but the only way it will give you power is by preventing timing cut due to excessive IATs. Unless your IATs are out of control, it will almost certainly cost you power unless you tune for it (by removing fuel). Tuning for water/meth on a daily driver like this is extremely dangerous because a failure of the system (or just running out of meth) will most likely result in catastrophic engine failure (also, I don't think any of the tuners with experience on this platform would even be willing to do that because of the risk).

You need to do a lot more reading on the subject before you even consider water/meth. But, to answer your questions: No, you will not want to tune for it. No, you will not need different injectors. No, you do not add fuel. No, it will not make you go lean (assuming you don't tune for it). Methanol is fuel so you will be running very rich on it (hence the potential loss of power).