W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Or Cats Knocking/Ratteling periodicly only when operating temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Engine Or Cats Knocking/Ratteling periodicly only when operating temp

Really really weird suddenly my engine goes bananas started rattling / knocking sound when driving and engine has run at least 20 min.
just came all of sudden the other day when going uphill I just open my window and hearing strange rattling noise / knocking more like when stopping car got scared ¥ thought Piston / Rod damge, Valve or Vale adjusters perhabs Chains?
switched engine of when in shopping as planned when came out I checked Oil Water all the basic started engine and noise gone....
Drove home and my god noise back again sound really bad but plenty of power was scared at first making more damage but all looked ok really weird and no water in the engine oil so top gaskets ok.

what the hell ???
so well waited a few hours after I came home checked stated engine again and voila silence no knocking or rattle I go f crazy lol. I really tried re create the sound so I can find where it comes from is weird enough as it is so took car next morning to work AMG is just behind where I work
AND If course when arrived work same **** again damn noise. I it sounds very serious, so serious you feel like swtch OFF now now.
So I my car at AMG TECH thinking ok now just waiting for the phone call, he finally called me
1 No errors found
2 He Heard the noise and every one else in the AMG Center.
and the this happens while he raise the car and want to attach the exhaust hoses while engine is runing the noise disappears he took the car on the highway picked me after again we drove it together hard but no noise WHAT THE HECK????

SO HAPPY TIMES just until I came home same problem again I go frk nuts I don't k please anyone ever experienced anytging this?
any ideas are much appriciated any rips any ideas ?

I just have to add Cats are modified years ago I was thinking perhabs when they get hit and they really get hot and maybe some of the stuff inside got loose moving around when hot and that's the rattle I then hear.

I AM SO sorry for my bad explanation earlier it was written using my mobile previous

Last edited by SuperChargerE55; 10-13-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 10-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Martin that sounds like a nightnare mate. Hope you get it sorted!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
C300 sport 2008
Didn’t understand anything
Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 AM

E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Corrected sorry

Originally Posted by w204_racing
Didn’t understand anything
I am very sorry for that. I wrote sitting in the tram on my mobile and didn't realize it had so many mistakes 😴😴
Hope u understand now
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Please provide recording otherwise impossible tohelp probably..
Old 10-15-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
I had a similar experience, turned out to be the AC compressor pulley, AC stopped cooling and then the pulley broken.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks a lot

Originally Posted by mAMG
I had a similar experience, turned out to be the AC compressor pulley, AC stopped cooling and then the pulley broken.
Wow that sounds bad man imidiatly checked out your thread u posted about that issue really bad. Very rare they break but did u have AC problems before the bad sound I haven't noticed anytging but works cooling and heating.
I unfortunate haven't had time to test drive it again but did a visual inspection Sataurday checked all fluids + checked fluids foreign objects all is baby clean.
No cracks exhaust manifold all vacume lines are intakt most are newly.replaced thank God trust.me had my share with this car
is it how is if can't live with that simply don't buy.
I love my E55 AMG W211 amazing piece of machinery good & bad.

And love a good challenge lol now is there anyway I can test A.C kompessor without Star Diag?

Next steep drive and time it when problem noise ocour because I can't re create the noise home just by pulling up and down he street and also Record it did think about it earlier but prioritized atop & shut down engine ASAP.
Jist a side note I listen to numerous recordings E55 AMG W211 owners complaining noisy engine but haven't stumbled over a single one like this nut are all Startup Noise or ticking valve nothing like this so your feedback was very valuable I willl defiantly check.my A.C. Pulley.

thanks a lot pls have patience I will be back with recording / update soon
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
AC was working perfectly fine. I kept driving couple of hours after hearing that knocking until the pulley broke.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by PieRat
Please provide recording otherwise impossible tohelp probably..
I will try today to get a recording problem is u don't hear it when idle only when throttle a bit above idle.
So last weekend again nothing no sounds car sound perfect I worked a bit on the car removed 1 shims from compressor as tolerance was 0.50mm and found 4 shims removed 1 and perfect tolerance solved.
Relocated catch can hose and replaced SC Oil was due time again.
So Monday morning out for a test drive car drives insane Yahoo no weird sounds it usually starts after approx 3km of driving when hot but today nothing I was happy flying and pulled 12PSI I been having 9 for long time until I found the SC tolerance was above should be 0.325-0.425mm.
I started car with Torque pro tuning and imidiatly get the P0422 & P0432 codes no check light really strange been doing so for a while but now they are constant and the rattle Is more a rattle than knocking seems to be coming from under engine between tranny / engine somewhere around the prim cat if I am correct but is difficulty to troubleshoot since I can't locate it without steeping on the throttle then u really hear it.

So Monday I drove almost 35 km an car pulled like a monster was happy time to wash the beast and store for winter but then bam and problem came back stupid driving so far but now it is constant at least so it seems. Got a new time scheduled but AMG does not have time before Nov 28.
I try get back today when a recording I tried with video recorder but sounds so bad u just hear all the ticking lol so I will try later with Voice recorder placing my phone under the car on something and record it hopefully I have succes u guys can hear it.

anyone ever seen or hear the cats melt down on the E55 ? I searched like a mad man but find nothing but other brands with similar rattle cats broken inside if that is the case in going Midlength Performance Headers properly cheapest fix because these OEM are one mother expensive.

any feedback any advice how else can I TS cats any ideas all I got is Torque but
No oil usage
No white or black smoke
No oil in cooling
No water on oil
Everything else seems normal.
Engine is pretty much standard but Eurocharge ECU Tune 1 year ago
Catch can.
engine always maintained / tranny to rest of car everything but exhaust really is 2003 MODEL yes my lady is old now but never showed any signs of this weird strange nightmare.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 AM

Problem located

Problem located lol left Catalytic converter
headers and Downpipes ordered