Sponsored by:

Searching for an e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 Corvette
Searching for an e55

Hey folks, I guess this will be an introduction.

I've never owned a Mercedes, let alone an AMG. I've spent a lot of time lurking and reading the 7000 threads about e55 vs e63, 2003-2004 vs 2005-2006 etc.

I've settled on the e55 for a couple reasons:

Maintenance costs
Supercharger
General reliability

My wife and I work in the same building, so we commute together in our (her) main vehicle. So I need a car that will see maybe 3-6,000 miles a year, and I can safely fit a carseat in (rear facing for 7 more months). Smart me was browsing new/used Civic Si's, since I've always been a Honda fan and really enjoyed our last 2012 Si for a daily car.

Then I figured, if its something that won't see much use, I might as well get something a bit more entertaining than an appliance. And that is what has lead me down the path to the E55. I've always been a fan of them, and it seems like the market right now is OK price wise for a buyer.

I can't however, hardly find what I want. I recently read a few threads of this forum helping members search for a car to buy and providing feedback, so I figured I would ask too!

Wants:
Colors: Silver, White, Black, or one of the more exciting colors (not champagne/gold etc)
Mileage is the big one, I'd like a car under 50k miles, of course I know that service history is an important factor so I would entertain. I've seen a couple examples sell on BAT for what I think are reasonable prices.
Then of course, options: I'd love a loaded 06, but an immaculate low mileage 03 with no options would be fine with me too (from what I've read, feel free to correct me!)
I'd like a car that is stock, unless the modifications were done as "maintenance" items.

Budget: $20,000
This may be flexible for the right car, but from what I've seen on BAT and this forum, it should be able to get me there.

I've been very surprised to find that there is basically no stock of low mileage, unmodified cars in the country. I live in Indiana, but I would travel for the right car. I recently purchased a 2002 525i Touring in Oklahoma and drove it home.

Where are the cars at!

Last edited by work_truck; 11-06-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM

1999 Corvette
Bonus pictures of my Corvette for reading my too-long post

Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
That vette is clean! Is it a debadged Z or a FRC with z06 wheels? Either way that’s sweet man.

I just bought mine mine after looking for a few months. I used a site called auto tempest that takes your parameters and searches all of craigslist, eBay, autotrader, cars.com, etc etc. I just looked all the time until the right one came up, honestly. There was a 48k mile car in North Carolina that was nice but couldn’t work out the details for me being out of state. Not a lot of low mile examples out there but if you’re patient you can find it! Good luck. You won’t regret it!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 AM

1999 Corvette
Originally Posted by Jake528
That vette is clean! Is it a debadged Z or a FRC with z06 wheels? Either way that’s sweet man.

I just bought mine mine after looking for a few months. I used a site called auto tempest that takes your parameters and searches all of craigslist, eBay, autotrader, cars.com, etc etc. I just looked all the time until the right one came up, honestly. There was a 48k mile car in North Carolina that was nice but couldn’t work out the details for me being out of state. Not a lot of low mile examples out there but if you’re patient you can find it! Good luck. You won’t regret it!
Thanks!

Its an FRC, I call it the "zfaux6" because it has a lot of C5/C6z parts on it.

I sent an email about this car, but I haven't heard anything back.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...738152551.html

and to be honest, the state of the interior for the pictures scares me away
Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by work_truck
Thanks!

Its an FRC, I call it the "zfaux6" because it has a lot of C5/C6z parts on it.

I sent an email about this car, but I haven't heard anything back.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...738152551.html

and to be honest, the state of the interior for the pictures scares me away
Very cool! I hope it sees some track time!

Yep, that’s the one. Guy wasn’t very easy to work with so I walked.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:01 AM

1999 Corvette

Very cool! I hope it sees some track time!

Yep, that’s the one. Guy wasn’t very easy to work with so I walked.
Thanks a ton! Thats exactly why I asked here, seems like the market is small enough that a lot of people are familiar with whats for sale

and to your first point

Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
If I recall, some notable improvements (like coolant not mixing with transmission fluid?) were made in the 2005 and 2006 models. I'd suggest sticking to those two years if possible. And yes, for $20k that should get you a nice 2005 or 2006 but your mileage requirements may be a factor. After owning mine for a couple years, with these engines (basic..no complexities of variable timing or auto stop/auto start technology, no excessive heat producing twin turbo chargers) and transmissions (a basic 5 speed that is known to be bulletproof and can actually handle a lot more torque than what the E55 puts out), these cars can go many many miles without major drivetrain related issues. And yes, that airmatic suspension is known to be a sore point, but replacing struts/shocks/air compressor/distribution block actually is easy DIY at home with jackstands.

Just have to find the right one, and when going back this far for cars, it can take some weeks or even months to find just the right one. That goes for any car
Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 AM

2005 c230
a few that may be of interest

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...720375693.html
Old 11-06-2018, 09:54 AM

2005 E55 AMG
As lseguy said the 2005 and 2006 were better years for reliability. I’m not sure about 2004 but I think the coolant mixing with transmission was 2003 and maybe early 2004. Also the supercharger gearing was slightly different in earlier models.

I got my 2005 with 68k miles for $19,888 (stupid no haggle place) with valve cover gaskets replaced as a stipulation of me buying. Another big thing people don’t often point out is fuel pumps around 60k miles. Mine were done at 43k under warranty. If you do the work yourself it’s about $1k that will need to be addressed for sure. Mine also had Arnott’s done all the way around so I have lifetime warranty there. The interior is unreal, like a brand new car. These interiors hold up super well especially if taken care of.

I think the sweet spot would be a well maintained 60-75k mile example. No major services until 100k miles if things have been properly maintained so you have a long while before you have any real worries. Just my opinion!
Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Look in the market place section of the main forum page. There are a few cars listed in there.
This seems like a nice car with very few things to correct.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-e55-sale.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/720404

Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago and i'm thinking you probably came across my old threads. my search started slow but within a month I was booking a flight from nyc to nc to pick up my new ride. unmodded examples, let alone low mileage ones are few and far between these days so i'd say be prepared to fly in and drive out or ship. it's impossible to predict what's coming to market but i'd say you kinda gotta take what's given. i wanted an 05-06, pano roof, keyless go but settled for an '04 with neither of those options just because it seemed to be the best car on the market at the time. i did however get my #1 color (designo grey) so that was a huge plus.

I second the autotempest suggestion. very handy tool that compiles listings from all over the internet

for reference, i bought my 47k mile '04 designo grey with heated and cooled dynamic seats, sunshades, bixenon & dis/parktronic for $18k. it admittedly didn't have much maintenance history and the current owner only had it for 4 months but he had put a few grand into fixing little things, had a full inspection and maintenance B done so i decided to make the jump. it's only been in my possession a few weeks but so far so good.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tlambert
Look in the market place section of the main forum page. There are a few cars listed in there.

Hopefully this link works. In the market place you can narrow your search in the Mercedes vehicle section.

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/ve...&type%5B0%5D=1

I left out in the search 2003 because of some know issues with that year.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 / 2005 Mk4 Jetta GLI
We went through the same process in July. Search for months for one with one/second owner, low miles.

An 05 E55 popped up on autotrader/craigslist, owner posted on both. Excellent condition. Second owner, purchased in 06 with about 8k miles from MB dealer/CPO. Had original window sticker, pretty cool.

It had close to 135k miles, all maintenance records, clean carfax, 8 page VMI report. Drove 4.5 hours to check it out, boss lady loved it (her car). Completed PPI, drove back up to pick it up. Paid: $11.5 more than I wanted, though it was fair.

Keep searching. You may find the right one with high mileage, if you're okay with that.. Good Luck

Last edited by mbstarfan; 11-06-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
I bought a Flint Grey Metallic 2006 E55 with 74K miles and 2 owners here on the forum back in July. I didn't really have a mileage requirement but as low as I could get with the right options. I really wanted dynamic seats, parking sensors, ventilated seats, NAV, regular sunroof, and the auto trunk closer. I would inevitably find a nice 04 will less that 60k, but it wouldn't have NAV or dynamic seats. Or I'd find one with a pano roof which I was trying to avoid. The car I got also had keyless go so I basically got every option except disktronic which I could care less about. I feel really lucky. Think about those options and what is most important to you along with mileage. These cars do hold up quite well if taken care of.

I did notice in my searching that 2006 models were rare. Seems everyone is holding on tight to those...including me!

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:25 AM

1999 Corvette
man this response has been awesome! thanks guys!

my original reading led me to believe that the 03-04 cars weren't inherently less reliable, is that not true?

I don't have any problem aiming for an 05-06.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM

1999 Corvette
Originally Posted by lseguy
If I recall, some notable improvements (like coolant not mixing with transmission fluid?) were made in the 2005 and 2006 models. I'd suggest sticking to those two years if possible. And yes, for $20k that should get you a nice 2005 or 2006 but your mileage requirements may be a factor. After owning mine for a couple years, with these engines (basic..no complexities of variable timing or auto stop/auto start technology, no excessive heat producing twin turbo chargers) and transmissions (a basic 5 speed that is known to be bulletproof and can actually handle a lot more torque than what the E55 puts out), these cars can go many many miles without major drivetrain related issues. And yes, that airmatic suspension is known to be a sore point, but replacing struts/shocks/air compressor/distribution block actually is easy DIY at home with jackstands.

Just have to find the right one, and when going back this far for cars, it can take some weeks or even months to find just the right one. That goes for any car
those sound like large enough improvements to warrant leaving out the 03-04 cars.

As lseguy said the 2005 and 2006 were better years for reliability. I’m not sure about 2004 but I think the coolant mixing with transmission was 2003 and maybe early 2004. Also the supercharger gearing was slightly different in earlier models.

I got my 2005 with 68k miles for $19,888 (stupid no haggle place) with valve cover gaskets replaced as a stipulation of me buying. Another big thing people don’t often point out is fuel pumps around 60k miles. Mine were done at 43k under warranty. If you do the work yourself it’s about $1k that will need to be addressed for sure. Mine also had Arnott’s done all the way around so I have lifetime warranty there. The interior is unreal, like a brand new car. These interiors hold up super well especially if taken care of.

I think the sweet spot would be a well maintained 60-75k mile example. No major services until 100k miles if things have been properly maintained so you have a long while before you have any real worries. Just my opinion!
Is there a service interval FAQ anywhere? as far as what is expected, without having an owner's manual in front of me?

I hadn't seen that silver car, but it looks like its worth sending a message about! Thank you!

Originally Posted by kiluminati616
I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago and i'm thinking you probably came across my old threads. my search started slow but within a month I was booking a flight from nyc to nc to pick up my new ride. unmodded examples, let alone low mileage ones are few and far between these days so i'd say be prepared to fly in and drive out or ship. it's impossible to predict what's coming to market but i'd say you kinda gotta take what's given. i wanted an 05-06, pano roof, keyless go but settled for an '04 with neither of those options just because it seemed to be the best car on the market at the time. i did however get my #1 color (designo grey) so that was a huge plus.

I second the autotempest suggestion. very handy tool that compiles listings from all over the internet

for reference, i bought my 47k mile '04 designo grey with heated and cooled dynamic seats, sunshades, bixenon & dis/parktronic for $18k. it admittedly didn't have much maintenance history and the current owner only had it for 4 months but he had put a few grand into fixing little things, had a full inspection and maintenance B done so i decided to make the jump. it's only been in my possession a few weeks but so far so good.
I think it was your thread, so thanks for that! Sounds similar to my usual searching. I have an "ideal car" in mind, but I will end up buying the "right car"

Hopefully this link works. In the market place you can narrow your search in the Mercedes vehicle section.

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/ve...&type%5B0%5D=1

I left out in the search 2003 because of some know issues with that year.
Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by mbstarfan
We went through the same process in July. Search for months for one with one/second owner, low miles.

An 05 E55 popped up on autotrader/craigslist, owner posted on both. Excellent condition. Second owner, purchased in 06 with about 8k miles from MB dealer/CPO. Had original window sticker, pretty cool.

It had close to 135k miles, all maintenance records, clean carfax, 8 page VMI report. Drove 4.5 hours to check it out, boss lady loved it (her car). Completed PPI, drove back up to pick it up. Paid: $11.5 more than I wanted, though it was fair.

Keep searching. You may find the right one with high mileage, if you're okay with that.. Good Luck
Gorgeous car! thanks!

Originally Posted by j-mo
I bought a Flint Grey Metallic 2006 E55 with 74K miles and 2 owners here on the forum back in July. I didn't really have a mileage requirement but as low as I could get with the right options. I really wanted dynamic seats, parking sensors, ventilated seats, NAV, regular sunroof, and the auto trunk closer. I would inevitably find a nice 04 will less that 60k, but it wouldn't have NAV or dynamic seats. Or I'd find one with a pano roof which I was trying to avoid. The car I got also had keyless go so I basically got every option except disktronic which I could care less about. I feel really lucky. Think about those options and what is most important to you along with mileage. These cars do hold up quite well if taken care of.

I did notice in my searching that 2006 models were rare. Seems everyone is holding on tight to those...including me!

Good luck!
Sounds like the pano has major issues, is it hard to find a well optioned car without it? (dynamic, nav, etc)

Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2004 E55 AMG / 2019 Audi Q7
2003 had an issue with coolant getting into the transmission somehow but this was fixed for 2004. 2005-2006 are generally more desirable because there were improvements made to the suspension & steering (used same parts as cls55 i believe). what those improvements were...i searched while i was shopping and couldnt find much concrete info. there were also some updates to the interior (200mph tach, sliding center console, cool pedal covers and more i'm forgetting). on youtube search for amgeister. he goes over all the model changes over the years in one video.

in the end 2003 scared me but i don't think there are any reliability differences between 2004-2006. i'm no expert so if anyone cares to weigh in, feel free.

oh and 05-06 got a different supercharger and smoother clutch engagement
Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM

2005 c230
Re maintenance, etc. Not much different from any other gas powered car. For me:

For oil changes: I almost always drive my car (upon each cold start) long enough for the oil to get hot enough to burn off condensation and avoid sludge buildup. So I go 10k miles between Mobil1 Full synthetic with Mann or Mahle filters and even having done an oil analysis on 10k mile oil, it still had plenty of life per Blackstone.
Brake Fluid: I have a one man pressure bleeder so once every two to three years fluid flush is plenty for me
Coolant: Many coolants now are "lifetime", but I still err on side of caution and do a full coolant replace (using distilled water) every 4 years.
Transmission fluid/diff. My 2006 E55 now has 98k miles, and the previously owner had those fuids replaced right around 80k miles. I'll probably have it done again at 110k miles, which is excessive, but will do it anyways.
Power Steering Fluid: Will drain/fill at 100k.
My spark plugs were also done at about 80k, so Im good there.
Air filter. I usually replace every 30k miles.
O2 sensors. I think mine are all original, so I most likely will replace at 100k.
Fuel Filter: I usually do these every 60k miles.
Intercooler Pump: Mine was already done at 80k miles, but is super easy to DIY if needed.

My only issues: Airmatic strut failed/blew its internal seal earlier this year just past the 90k mark. Replaced both fronts with OEM Bilstein as the Arnott NEW will not retain your adaptive suspension control. And I personally preferred new vs rebuilt, hence going with OEM Bilstein.

Oh..I have the Pano roof and love it. Have no idea if it ever needed repair before, but Ive had zero issues with mine. And I think that there are DIY's on this forum and on youtube for repairs if needed. Im not sure I'd allow a Pano roof option deter me from just the right car
Old 11-06-2018, 01:25 PM

1999 Corvette
I sent this guy an email too, although I doubt he'll take what I'm willing to pay.

thanks for the link!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:26 PM

1999 Corvette
Re maintenance, etc. Not much different from any other gas powered car. For me:

For oil changes: I almost always drive my car (upon each cold start) long enough for the oil to get hot enough to burn off condensation and avoid sludge buildup. So I go 10k miles between Mobil1 Full synthetic with Mann or Mahle filters and even having done an oil analysis on 10k mile oil, it still had plenty of life per Blackstone.
Brake Fluid: I have a one man pressure bleeder so once every two to three years fluid flush is plenty for me
Coolant: Many coolants now are "lifetime", but I still err on side of caution and do a full coolant replace (using distilled water) every 4 years.
Transmission fluid/diff. My 2006 E55 now has 98k miles, and the previously owner had those fuids replaced right around 80k miles. I'll probably have it done again at 110k miles, which is excessive, but will do it anyways.
Power Steering Fluid: Will drain/fill at 100k.
My spark plugs were also done at about 80k, so Im good there.
Air filter. I usually replace every 30k miles.
O2 sensors. I think mine are all original, so I most likely will replace at 100k.
Fuel Filter: I usually do these every 60k miles.
Intercooler Pump: Mine was already done at 80k miles, but is super easy to DIY if needed.

My only issues: Airmatic strut failed/blew its internal seal earlier this year just past the 90k mark. Replaced both fronts with OEM Bilstein as the Arnott NEW will not retain your adaptive suspension control. And I personally preferred new vs rebuilt, hence going with OEM Bilstein.

Oh..I have the Pano roof and love it. Have no idea if it ever needed repair before, but Ive had zero issues with mine. And I think that there are DIY's on this forum and on youtube for repairs if needed. Im not sure I'd allow a Pano roof option deter me from just the right car
I was browsing rock auto and it didn't seem like the OE bilsteins were outrageously expensive, all things considered
Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

2005 c230
No, they are not outrageously expensive. Got mine from FCPEURO with the added comfort of knowing I have a lifetime warranty on the Bilsteins. I have peace of mind knowing the valving is identical to when it came off of the assembly line, I have new parts throughout the assembly, and I've retained all of my OEM factory suspension settings

Last edited by lseguy; 11-06-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Corvette ZR1
...I'm a Vette owner myself and recently picked up a E55 myself....I have to say I love my built and Procharged C5....However I haven't driven it or even looked at it since picking up the E55..These things are insane considering they are big heavy tanks..And with all the luxury and space to boot...Good luck in your search..Your gonna love it...

Old 11-06-2018, 02:54 PM

1999 Corvette
gorgeous!!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 747 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mitsumark
...I'm a Vette owner myself and recently picked up a E55 myself....I have to say I love my built and Procharged C5....However I haven't driven it or even looked at it since picking up the E55..These things are insane considering they are big heavy tanks..And with all the luxury and space to boot...Good luck in your search..Your gonna love it...
What a tank! Literally. M551 Sheridan behind your cars.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Corvette ZR1
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
What a tank! Literally. M551 Sheridan behind your cars.

You taught me something Mr Birdwell...I guess your avatar explains why...And thank you for your service!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Searching for an e55