W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much can you really tell on a PPI if, for instance, there are no service records?

Old 12-13-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda
How much can you really tell on a PPI if, for instance, there are no service records?

Just from lurking through this forum, I can see that the E55 is a bullet proof car, with the caveat thats repeated over and over again: if it’s been maintained well.

What would you guys say to a 120,000 mile car with no service records? Just stay away? Am I crazy? How much can a mechanic tell from an inspection? Can he/she tell oil changes weren’t done on time?

Are there certain things mechanics cannot gauge from an inspection that could potentially be a catastrophic failure?

Are there things that cannot be replaced, and if maintained poorly, make the car a total write-off? (Besides not doing oil changes properly and causing engine component wear)

I would appreciate this community’s input

Last edited by kevinkevinson; 12-13-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Missed a word in the title
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
E63 AMG
My e63 had no service records on the carfax and no records but a buddy of mine checked the VMI and they had always serviced the car at the Mercedes dealer. It had a hole in the record for about 10k miles but I assume it was done somewhere else.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
The PPI can tell a lot, very worthwhile to get one. But you’re right, can’t tell everything. I guess if you wanted to see about oil changes you could pull off one of the valve covers to get a cursory idea. You’d have to pay for a new gasket though. I bought my E55 with no service records after a clean PPI but definitely took a risk. Ended up getting lucky. It’s really up to you. I would think most of these cars are/were owned by either enthusiasts or retirees, both of which usually stay on top of their maintenance. Most of the problem areas can be seen with an inspection though, such as airmatic and engine mounts.

Last edited by N_Rob; 12-14-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none yet
my car had full service records since 2003, had 70k miles and I had a PPI done, still have had pretty badluck with it so no service records are not a guarantee...just make sure that your getting a good deal on it because at 120k miles might have a lot of upcoming maintenance
Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by kevinkevinson
Just from lurking through this forum, I can see that the E55 is a bullet proof car, with the caveat thats repeated over and over again: if it’s been maintained well.

What would you guys say to a 120,000 mile car with no service records? Just stay away? Am I crazy? How much can a mechanic tell from an inspection? Can he/she tell oil changes weren’t done on time?

Are there certain things mechanics cannot gauge from an inspection that could potentially be a catastrophic failure?

Are there things that cannot be replaced, and if maintained poorly, make the car a total write-off? (Besides not doing oil changes properly and causing engine component wear)

I would appreciate this community’s input

A PPI is as useless as a home inspection when the inspection is "not guaranteed." If there isn't any physical records on the vehicle, assume there aren't any and nothing has been done to the car.

One example: Is the mechanic going to remove the transmission pan and look for clutch parts in the oil from the owners failing to properly change the transmission fluid/filter at 25-35k intervals? No. So a new transmission is on the table for "severe" repairs.

That being said if you take the VIN to your Mercedes dealer they can usually print out all the VMI service records for you (and there's always some). If you don't know how to row a car through the gears looking for issues with the transmission shifting into gear (particularly in reverse), and about 80 other things I check when buying a car --- including voltage charging, listening to the starter fire up, checking the car with STAR --- then you need to find someone you trust who does.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 12-14-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
No, they are not useless. My brother looking at a CTSV just caught a low compression cylinder. They then boroscope it and found signs of detonation on the piston. You could also have the valve cover boroscope without removal(if they have one small enough to fit in the breathers) to find gummed up residue. STAR can hold a lot of saved info if they didnt wipe it. If it has no mods STAR probably hasn't been touched.

While there is no guarantee a good PPI can catch a lot of issues. Buying a used car is always a gamble it just helps to make it a little less of a gamble.

Last edited by drothgeb; 12-14-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If the car was serviced using the FSS utility, all of the maintenance records are stored in the Central Gateway. You access the records using the Assyst Plus in STAR.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....postcount=1147

The "Operations Performed" numbers correspond to the service that was performed; e.g. Service 5 replace fuel filter, Service 7 replace spark plugs, Service 12 replace oil and filter, etc.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 12-14-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 e63
In the end, it comes down to who performs the PPI. When I bought my car, it had 60K miles on it, regular maintenance notices on the Carfax (but no records). The first mechanic who looked at said it was clean (I bought the car from another state and had it taken to somebody recommended by a friend); noted it needed the 60K service and rear brakes. My trusted independent mechanic took one look and then sent me 30 photos of repairs that needed to be done (and also a bunch of links to this site to show things that need to be done) and other items the first mechanic missed. I own a lot of cars though, so he knows to be honest with me. He even noted that while the cylinder bolt heads on my car will need to be replaced eventually, not to worry about it for a few months unless I absolutely break the car.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:00 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
PPI is awesome. Yes there are a lot of things you still have to gamble on but to have the car up on a hoist and know straight away whether you will need all new suspensions bushes, control arms, new pads and rotors. That could save you up to $2k right there at a shop. Transmission is always a risk but get the clutch lock up times from STAR, that will eliminate half of it. Who cares about the engine oil, most places will have just done it before the sale and you will probably want to replace it anyway as soon as you get it so you know what is in it and that a Mann filter was used. Same with the transmission, new pilot bush, gasket, filter and fluid regardless. Get a compression test and check the fuel pressure too. The rest are visual, I missed a couple of small interior items that my PPI picked up. They should find all leaks, worn brake lines, belts etc. Usually the prospective buyer is a bit too excited and can miss things. I usually go with a list of things to look at.

Yes it also depends on who does it. Get two inspections, if the first one pans out and you want to be doubly sure.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
So you're saying there aren't any service records, even in the VMI? That means the car has never been to a dealership or MB certified mechanic's shop since it was purchased...
Old 12-17-2018, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
The bottom line, is have someone that knows about these cars do your PPI, have them go over it with a fine tooth comb, to identify any and all issues.
You can then use these issues as a bargaining chip, to lower the price of the vehicle before you buy it.