Can somebody please tell me what this sound is

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Can somebody please tell me what this sound is

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ntC...Palm_Beach,_FL

just replaced the super charger pulley. I think I might have slightly bent the back of the pulley when I tapped out the bearing and it’s not making complete contact with clutch (or is it making slight contact with the clutch and isn’t supposed to).
Old 12-26-2018, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 06 CLS63 AMG 14 E350 14 S550
Carefully drag your fingers on the magnet side of the pulley and try to slowly stop it from rotating and see what you notice.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM

W211 E55 AMG
I feel as if I need to add a shim or two just to gain some Clearence. I watched a video and discovered the backing of the pulley should not be touching the clutch. So my theory of be OEM pulley being bent from tapping the bearing out is probably accurate.

Heres the video of the breakdown if anybody is interested https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kPn9...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-26-2018, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are mounted on springs so sometimes they take time to settle back in even to the magnet surface. + the fact that imo you should surface grind the surface of those pulleys to clean them up. Take it off and have another look at it you will see grooves matching the resin pattern in the magnet housing. You need to remove those and clean the surface of the pulley to get an accurate measurement with feeler gauges to set the clearance.

This is why I tell people to get them surface ground and then remove one or two shims to get the clearance right again.

No more chirp on engagement and no more issues.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Thanks.

Yeah. I smoothed out magnet housing, I didn’t do anything to the back of the pulley. I can visually see the inconsistency of the gap between the pulley and the magnet housing. Part of the pulley is touching the magnet and the gap is maybe 1/10th of a Millimeter. That’s why I said I think I ****ed it up.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zhmorrow13
Thanks.

Yeah. I smoothed out magnet housing, I didn’t do anything to the back of the pulley. I can visually see the inconsistency of the gap between the pulley and the magnet housing. Part of the pulley is touching the magnet and the gap is maybe 1/10th of a Millimeter. That’s why I said I think I ****ed it up.
Maybe maybe not. Remember the pulley surface that mates to the clutch magnet is effectively floating on those springs. Its far more likely you've hit it and made one side of that pulley move on the springs than damaged anything else. I have seen this happen before and it came right by itself with use which is why you need to mount the pully run it for a while and then figure out what your clearances should be as they take time to settle back in. Have you tried going around it with a rubber hammer and shocking it back into place?

I have always smoothed out the pulley more so than the magnet housing face. IMO doing the magnet housing face does next to nothing.

Last edited by austingtir; 12-26-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by austingtir
Maybe maybe not. Remember the pulley surface that mates to the clutch magnet is effectively floating on those springs. Its far more likely you've hit it and made one side of that pulley move on the springs than damaged anything else. I have seen this happen before and it came right by itself with use. Have you tried going around it with a rubber hammer and shocking it back into place?
i have not. I will try that.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Update, that sound has gone away. I was able to clean (sand) the magnet and the back of the pulley while the pulley was still on the shaft. Now to try to quiet down the ticking in the entine, gonna explore the liqui moly oil treatment...

heres a clip of the what it sounds like now...
https://share.icloud.com/photos/00je...Palm_Beach,_FL