W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55: Replacing stock resonator with x pipe, good idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
E55: Replacing stock resonator with x pipe, good idea?

Been searching and reading up on old threads regarding X-Pipe, didn’t see much with my same scenario. I have LTH (Chinese) stock exhaust and gonna replace stock resonator with XPipe, good idea? Any Pros and Cons or suggestion for alternative route (H pipe)?

Last edited by MSG 55G; 12-30-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Here is what I have and I like the sound. Nice and quiet inside while normal driving and some sound on WOT. The way I see it is it nice to drive to dinner and then when I bust someones ***....they don’t know what just happened. I haven’t heard my car outside while someone else driving it so far but it’s not obnoxious....although my sons E is loud and I do like the sound.

ARH LTH, catless (recently), ARH X pipe, stock resonator, stock E55 mufflers.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by tlambert
Here is what I have and I like the sound. Nice and quiet inside while normal driving and some sound on WOT. The way I see it is it nice to drive to dinner and then when I bust someones ***....they don’t know what just happened. I haven’t heard my car outside while someone else driving it so far but it’s not obnoxious....although my sons E is loud and I do like the sound.

thanks tlambert, my LTH configuration looks the same. Your x pipe is after your headers leading back to your resonator. I was thinking removing stock res for another X-Pipe (??) that doesn’t make sense...gonna have to check with my exhaust guy tomorrow to verify my existing X-Pipe.

If so, should I remove resonator? Go straight pipes to stock mufflers, would that be too loud, raspy, or/and drone?

My my sounds are as quiet with soft throttle but it roar when WOT. I like a bit more growl when cruising and WOT. Maybe some mod on mufflers.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Not sure what the gain would be doing a second X pipe.
If you want sound, change the mufflers to C63 and leave the stock resonator to keep the interior drone down.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:27 AM

2006 E55

btw, your undercarriage looks spotless!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:35 AM

2006 E55
Not sure what the gain would be doing a second X pipe.
If you want sound, change the mufflers to C63 and leave the stock resonator to keep the interior drone down.
Do you get any interior vibration with your LTH? My LTH is about two three weeks old, I did the self install and there are two spot where the pipe/tube (driver side) barely has 1/4” clearance and I feel vibrations when throttled. Gonna have exhaust guy check em and massage heat shield or underbody to get more clearance. Pls let me know if slight vibration is the norms. I don’t think so!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Hahaha.....Thanks I’ve spent a lot of time cleaning the bottom up some. It looks even better now. Since those pics I polished from the resonator to mufflers and tips. I tried some on the X pipe but I started getting crazy then. This all started out as “ I’m going to clean the exhaust tips”. I had the exhaust system out removing the race cats and installing the test pipes.
BTW I’m not the guy that scraped the resonator. Lol.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2018, 01:09 AM

2006 E55
[QUOTE=tlambert;7642139]
Hahaha.....Thanks I’ve spent a lot of time cleaning the bottom up some. It looks even better now. Since those pics I polished from the resonator to mufflers and tips. I tried some on the X pipe but I started getting crazy then. This all started out as “ I’m going to clean the exhaust tips”. I had the exhaust system out removing the race cats and installing the test pipes.
BTW I’m not the guy that scraped the resonator. Lol.

[/QUOTE

you don’t play when it come to your car! That’s amazingly clean exhaust! Can’t imagine what your interior looks like or your entire car for that matter. Gonna have to check out your profile for some photos.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MSG 55G

Do you get any interior vibration with your LTH? My LTH is about two three weeks old, I did the self install and there are two spot where the pipe/tube (driver side) barely has 1/4” clearance and I feel vibrations when throttled. Gonna have exhaust guy check em and massage heat shield or underbody to get more clearance. Pls let me know if slight vibration is the norms. I don’t think so!
I recently replaced engine mounts and trans mount. Yes only on WOT from a dig with traction control on cause it's biting hard. Traction control off, none cause it's blowing the rear tires off. Lol.

1/4 clearance. The only thing that can be done is massage the heat shield with a flat bar at the points where it is rubbing. You have to be careful because there are fuel lines and brake lines behind that shield near the frame. Look behind the shield you'll see them. Don't let some jackleg beat on the floor. Lol.
The ARH set up is nice but if they would have built the header 10mm lower at the collector this wouldn't be a problem.

The only real way to stop it from hitting the floor is to use these mounts which I haven't changed to yet. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...on-mounts.html

The only problem I can see using these is IF the car is lowered, and mine is, it will be putting the header 10mm closer to the ground.

Thanks for the props on the car! I've been doing a lot of cleaning and detailing. I'll be updating my thread soon.

Last edited by tlambert; 12-31-2018 at 01:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 02:04 AM

2006 E55

I recently replaced engine mounts and trans mount. Yes only on WOT from a dig with traction control on cause it's biting hard. Traction control off, none cause it's blowing the rear tires off. Lol.

1/4 clearance. The only thing that can be done is massage the heat shield with a flat bar at the points where it is rubbing. You have to be careful because there are fuel lines and brake lines behind that shield near the frame. Look behind the shield you'll see them. Don't let some jackleg beat on the floor. Lol.
The ARH set up is nice but if they would have built the header 10mm lower at the collector this wouldn't be a problem.

The only real way to stop it from hitting the floor is to use these mounts which I haven't changed to yet. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...on-mounts.html

The only problem I can see using these is IF the car is lowered, and mine is, it will be putting the header 10mm closer to the ground.

Thanks for the props on the car! I've been doing a lot of cleaning and detailing. I'll be updating my thread soon.
Yes! load up some photos to set an example for all of us to follow.

And thanks for letting me know that you too have some vibration; here I’ve been for two weeks beating on the installer every time I get a butt massage when WOT. at least I got rid of the knocking, that was nightmarious!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Look in my profile. I have 2 albums. One is tlamberts E55 and the other is “posted photos” there are some pics there.

https://mbworld.org/g/user/349665

Last edited by tlambert; 12-31-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 982 Likes on 764 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Another option to mitigate the vibration and noise due to the header contacting the heat shield is to cut a piece of a "flexible silicone kitchen trivet" and adhere it to your heat shield. You will want one with "nubs" or "buttons" or "grooves" rather than a solid smooth piece of silicone. The header will contact the silicone pad first and the pad will deaden the noise and vibration. Worked wonders for me on a turbo Miata where the header downtube would contact the frame on hard right turns under throttle. Remember, if it is is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
MSG 55G (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 01:28 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Another option to mitigate the vibration and noise due to the header contacting the heat shield is to cut a piece of a "flexible silicone kitchen trivet" and adhere it to your heat shield. You will want one with "nubs" or "buttons" or "grooves" rather than a solid smooth piece of silicone. The header will contact the silicone pad first and the pad will deaden the noise and vibration. Worked wonders for me on a turbo Miata where the header downtube would contact the frame on hard right turns under throttle. Remember, if it is is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
gonna google “kitchen trivet” but it sounds like a good idea to take care of vibrations. Thanks bbirdwell

just got back from exhaust shop, we did some massaging but didn’t touch frame. We did adjust/rotated the right flange (barely had 1/8 clearance to shield) of the resonator for better clearance. Ride home was much better, smoother with minimal vibes unless you’re really really paying attention to it.

But the vibrations are soft and joyful reminders that you got the power to where you can and are laying down some whoop ***.

As for removing resonator, I decided to keep it on cuz I do have X-Pipe already. But the resonator had a slight crack so got it welded (knew something didn’t sound right to my untrained ears), now got smoother sounds as well, paid the fellas $40 plus $20 for their lunches.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM

2006 E55
Look in my profile. I have 2 albums. One is tlamberts E55 and the other is “posted photos” there are some pics there.

https://mbworld.org/g/user/349665
gonna get my laptop to check out photos to get better image quality. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Haha don’t look too close. You will see all the flaws.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:33 PM

2006 E55
the trivet won’t burn? How would you secure them in place?
Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 982 Likes on 764 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MSG 55G

the trivet won’t burn? How would you secure them in place?
You can get a silicone trivet high-heat resistant to around 600* F continuous; yours, as was mine, would only be intermittent. Since it is an excellent insulator, I just used regular silicone seal to glue a piece to the frame of my Miata. I could barely squeeze the silicone trivet between the header downpipe and frame but it did the trick to get rid of the horrid noise the exhaust would make when it contacted the frame.

Something like this:
https://www.thermoworks.com/TW-TRIVE...yABEgJQKvD_BwE

Last edited by bbirdwell; 12-31-2018 at 02:09 PM.
MSG 55G (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 02:13 PM

2006 E55
Haha don’t look too close. You will see all the flaws.
Photos looks Great, but image resolution in album for this site is smeary and doesn't gives overall clear presentation of images. Some of your photo I couldn't tell if you had the E63 front bumper or not. Here's one of my favorite picture of my ride, before I started Mods...I posted in my album and image weren't that great.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:36 PM

2006 E55
You can get a silicone trivet high-heat resistant to around 600* F continuous; yours, as was mine, would only be intermittent. Since it is an excellent insulator, I just used regular silicone seal to glue a piece to the frame of my Miata. I could barely squeeze the silicone trivet between the header downpipe and frame but it did the trick to get rid of the horrid noise the exhaust would make when it contacted the frame.

Something like this:
https://www.thermoworks.com/TW-TRIVE...yABEgJQKvD_BwE
thanks, gonna try it. I’m not getting any knocking, just slight vibration but it’s smooth and consistent with throttle responses so I can live with it.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Have you looked at your exhaust? I think all the Chinese long tunes I know of already come with an X pipe that replaces the resonator

Just in case you bought it with the headers and haven't actually put eyes on them yourself or something.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:45 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by drothgeb
Have you looked at your exhaust? I think all the Chinese long tunes I know of already come with an X pipe that replaces the resonator

Just in case you bought it with the headers and haven't actually put eyes on them yourself or something.
confirmed, have XPipe and they been installed two weeks ago, I’m tweaking em up now. Gonna leave resonator on. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Some of those bad pics could be because of being taken with my old iPhone.
Stock E55 front and rear bumpers.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
C63 and CLK55
We do sell slightly lower engine and transmission mounts that resolve the headers touching the body of the car on throttle. They are shorter than brand new OEM engine mounts but most used mounts are collapsed to a certain extent. Let us know if you have any questions
Old 12-31-2018, 05:41 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by East Coast Euro
We do sell slightly lower engine and transmission mounts that resolve the headers touching the body of the car on throttle. They are shorter than brand new OEM engine mounts but most used mounts are collapsed to a certain extent. Let us know if you have any questions
Yes, tlambert mentioned the products with a link to the motor mounts you are talking about on OP. Unfortunately I've swapped out mounts while doing headers, wished I saw those mounts prior. Car is running fine, I'm very satisfy with my installs and enjoying the crap out of it.

thanks..