Sponsored by:

Is It Worth Pursuing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
Is It Worth Pursuing?

One of the Indie shops I use broke one of these pats off my car, while I was standing in their shop assessing my radiator. The mechanic leaned on it and easily broke it off. I'm sure because it's held in place by a small rubber protrusion into a hole, it's easy to break off. It was obvious that my radiator had a hole in it, as we watched water seeping out under pressure. The manager promised to replace the part the we watched his guy break off. No problem, right? Of course, wrong. When I picked my car up THE OTHER ONE was also broken off.

I'm thinking 1. a mechanic broke the other one off, or 2. they purposely broke the second one off hoping I wouldn't notice and that would be the end of it. I sent them a text message with a picture and they said they couldn't identify the part. I told them I'd try to ID the part number and get back to them. Two weeks later, I sill couldn't ID the part. The dealership said it's because the part comes with the crossmember that on top of the radiator.

My question is: is it worth putting pressure on the shop to replace it? I mean... I know it's there for a reason. You can see where the hood rests on it, the paint has worn off. The way I look at it is that it's obviously there for a reason. It it to abate under hood turbulence?

I thought I'd post this here before I demand that they replace the entire crossmember. What would you guys do?

I'm sure they'd prefer not to, it's not a small job, but hey, that's what they have insurance for

See white arrow
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
I don’t have mine either.

Out of principal, I would want it replaced if I were you. But it’s an 11 year old car, how much energy and time are you willing to spend
Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Why are you asking questions you know the answer to!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Why are you asking questions you know the answer to!
Because I'm conflicted between what I want to do and what I'm going to do (probably nothing)... and (now) I know what YOU would do, but I never assume everyone has the same frame of mind... which, apparently, you're assuming. Also because, being a community, I like to bounce things like this off others to see how they'd respond.

Thanks, though, for calling me out on doing something that really didn't make sense, to you. For what it was worth.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:43 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by zhmorrow13
I don’t have mine either.

Out of principal, I would want it replaced if I were you. But it’s an 11 year old car, how much energy and time are you willing to spend
yeah, that's kinda where I am on both points.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
what is that? some plastic deflector or shield? I don't even think my 2007 has this. there is no sign that my car ever had this.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 01-18-2019, 01:56 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by hachiroku
what is that? some plastic deflector or shield? I don't even think my 2007 has this. there is no sign that my car ever had this.
don’t know what it’s called, the dealership didn’t know either. the hood definitely rests on it, judging by the wear marks from when they were there.

hmm...then maybe they first appeared in 2008

Last edited by benzokirk; 01-18-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:00 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
The windscreen shop broke the cowl on my mr2. It was 27 years old and not on the best of shape but they had to try and glue it down with goo. I wasn't happy, they ended up paying for a new one from Japan.

I would ask the manager what they planned to do. It's not your job to hunt out the correct part they broke. However after a little bit of effort and getting nowhere you have to know when to forget about it and continue on with life.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
i personally wouldn't pursue...if they replace it they replace it...if they don't...its not a vital or crucial piece, but thats just me.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com