Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 amg very jerky and not nice to drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 amg w211
My throttle valve angle fluctuates from 1.90-2.21 and when I wot I only get 77.60

any way got the plug sorted and took the car out and my gearchanges feel so much better. I don’t get the feeling of letting of the throttle once a new gear has been selected. They feel much firmer and precise. Defiantly glad I done the work. Maybe the conductor plate was due a change. Not sure but it has transformed the shifts
Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 C350e hybrid
Originally Posted by Pd9264
any way got the plug sorted and took the car out and my gearchanges feel so much better. I don’t get the feeling of letting of the throttle once a new gear has been selected. They feel much firmer and precise. Defiantly glad I done the work. Maybe the conductor plate was due a change. Not sure but it has transformed the shifts
That's great to hear. I seriously doubt the conductor plate had anything to do with it (although definitely good that you replaced it while you were in there). That is not the kind of problem that a bad conductor plate causes.

Assuming that the fix is more than temporary, my money is on the Sonnax parts. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The commanded shift pressure/volume at low load is far less than at WOT, so a valve body problem could definitely cause excessive slipping only at low loads (which I'm assuming results in an automatic power cut until the gear is fully engaged). That could also explain why the problem seems to be exacerbated by the larger throttle body in most cases: the shift pressure most likely increases based on throttle position and a larger throttle body gives you more power at lower throttle position so the shift pressure will be unintentionally reduced, meaning more slipping (this is just a theory, I'm not 100% sure this is how it works).

I'll be installing the Sonnax parts in my valve body as soon as possible and I'll report back if that fixes my issue as well.

In the meantime, please keep us updated on how your car is doing! I have tried a few things with adaptations and tunes which seemed to help for a short period, but the problem always came back right away. I think we may have finally solved the mystery (hopefully...).
Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 AM

E55 amg w211
right been drivIng the car a little more. And although the gearchanges are much smoother and firmer. I do still get a very slight power delay once the new gear has been selected. Although it is very minimal compared to before. but all in all I’m very happy with the results.

also my next modification is an 82mm throttle body so I will see how she feels after that.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:59 PM

E55 amg w211
Just a quick update.

after driving my car for abit now the gearchanges are the same as before. Although 1st to 2nd is improved. Still get the feeling of letting of gas once new gear has been selected.

also I’m still getting a cut in power as soon as I give it a bit of gas for a split second and then it’s fine. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Does seem to be getting more pronounced though. Say ur cruising in 2nd at 20mph and give it half throttle. The car will feel like it misfires really bad causing a severe jolt and then it picks up and goes. Really annoying. And feels horrible.

just don’t no what to do with it. The car pulls like a train at wot and I love it. But something isn’t right.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 PM

Just a quick update.

after driving my car for abit now the gearchanges are the same as before. Although 1st to 2nd is improved. Still get the feeling of letting of gas once new gear has been selected.

also I’m still getting a cut in power as soon as I give it a bit of gas for a split second and then it’s fine. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Does seem to be getting more pronounced though. Say ur cruising in 2nd at 20mph and give it half throttle. The car will feel like it misfires really bad causing a severe jolt and then it picks up and goes. Really annoying. And feels horrible.

just don’t no what to do with it. The car pulls like a train at wot and I love it. But something isn’t right.
That sucks. I really had my hopes up. Thanks for updating, though!

This definitely seems to be some sort of problem with the transmission adaptations. Not the gearshift adaptations as in clutch fill time and stuff like that, but rather the way the car is supposed to "learn" how you drive and adapt the engine and transmission behavior to suit your driving style (I believe it adjusts shift points, throttle response, and shift firmness). If I drive the car hard for a while it pretty much disappears, but once I drive it normally, the problem returns. Same thing with disconnecting the battery.

I'm out of town on business all week, but next week I'm going to connect an oscilloscope to the position sensors of both the throttle body and bypass valve to get a better idea of what's going on here. (Live data is so slow on these cars that I don't think I'll get anything meaningful with OBD logging, even with DAS).

Last edited by sjc246; 02-12-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Yeah that's a bummer. I keep hearing about TCU tunes not making a big difference, but I wonder if they would for people with these issues? RaceIQ states "torque limiters raised" and faster shifting. Might be worth pulling the trigger to try, I agree this sounds like a software issue. I have asked Tony at RaceIQ about it twice over the last few months but no response...
Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Yeah that's a bummer. I keep hearing about TCU tunes not making a big difference, but I wonder if they would for people with these issues? RaceIQ states "torque limiters raised" and faster shifting. Might be worth pulling the trigger to try, I agree this sounds like a software issue. I have asked Tony at RaceIQ about it twice over the last few months but no response...
Unfortunately, I don't think a TCU tune will help (unless the problem is TCU related and someone can figure out exactly what is causing this and make a new tune to fix it). I have a Eurocharged TCU tune and I have also test fit an un-tuned TCU. There was minimal if any difference. The issue nearly disappeared after swapping TCUs (swapping to either the tuned one or the un-tuned one), however, it soon came back each time (I swapped back and forth a few times). I am not 100% sure, but I believe that people are also having the same issue with Tony/RaceIQ's tune and I know that at one point Tony had worked on fixing this specific problem with no success
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by sjc246
Unfortunately, I don't think a TCU tune will help (unless the problem is TCU related and someone can figure out exactly what is causing this and make a new tune to fix it). I have a Eurocharged TCU tune and I have also test fit an un-tuned TCU. There was minimal if any difference. The issue nearly disappeared after swapping TCUs (swapping to either the tuned one or the un-tuned one), however, it soon came back each time (I swapped back and forth a few times). I am not 100% sure, but I believe that people are also having the same issue with Tony/RaceIQ's tune and I know that at one point Tony had worked on fixing this specific problem with no success
Maybe we should just be driving in dyno mode the whole time then?

I had the same results swapping TCUs. My other thought is trying a modified valve body, there's a local guy that makes a '150%' VB that essentially increases pressure across the board, maybe that would power through the issue...
Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM

E55 amg w211
Think Iv sorted my problems.

iv had a new tune from race iq loaded onto my car and now the car is a complete different drive. No more jerky ness.

I recon that the last person who owned my car. Originally had a 77mm clutched pulley fitted. And a eurocharged map. Then his magnet went bad so fitted a 74mm fixed pulley instead. And I recon he never changed the tune from a clutched pulley to a fixed pulley.

The car drives spot on now. Gear changes are better and less jerky. No more dead spots at low rpm. No more feeling like Iv let of the gas when gear changes.

I actually enjoy driving it now. Also Iv upgraded to 550cc injectors, 82mm throttle body and a 70mm fixed pulley . And race iq tuned for this.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 E55 *Wagon*
Originally Posted by sjc246
I'm out of town on business all week, but next week I'm going to connect an oscilloscope to the position sensors of both the throttle body and bypass valve to get a better idea of what's going on here. (Live data is so slow on these cars that I don't think I'll get anything meaningful with OBD logging, even with DAS).
Bumping this thread, glad I stumbled on it. I've been having exactly the same issue of power dropping off on upshifts that all of you have had. It feels a bit like a student driver learning a manual trans and is just not that fun to drive, as every shift induces an annoyingly slow yet firm head jerking. I have the VRP 76mm clutched pulley and RaceIQ ECU and TCU tunes. The problem started after installing those mods. I've also tried multiple adaptation resets (both in the trans and engine), trans fluid/filter changes, battery disconnects, etc. I always get the same result I'm reading about here: better for a few days, then back to the same problem.

It sounds like cleaning the throttle body and bypass valve may help, along with their electrical connectors. Did you ever find out anything with your oscilloscope testing?

Anyone ever figure this out? I'd love to get this solved!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:57 PM

There is a new TCU tune available from another member that gets rid of the power loss between shifts, it all has to do with torque management settings. You should be able to find it searching as it came out in the last few months. Totally transforms power between shifts, it became more noticeable after your power mods because of the extra torque and the trans trying to 'protect' itself.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:38 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
There is a new TCU tune available from another member that gets rid of the power loss between shifts, it all has to do with torque management settings. You should be able to find it searching as it came out in the last few months. Totally transforms power between shifts, it became more noticeable after your power mods because of the extra torque and the trans trying to 'protect' itself.

Actually has to also do with a dip in timing in between shifts ,i adjusted my file and after felt like a power shift in between gears as no timing is being pulled.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 E55 *Wagon*
Great to hear! I found the user and ordered his TCU, looking forward to installing it soon.

Originally Posted by oneslow55
Actually has to also do with a dip in timing in between shifts ,i adjusted my file and after felt like a power shift in between gears as no timing is being pulled.
Unfortunately, I have no ability to modify the RaceIQ maps myself, but if the issue continues after the new TCU, I'll reach out to them regarding the timing being pulled.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 amg
iv owner my e55 amp for about 3 months now. Had my fair share of problems with it which Iv sorted.

but the car is not nice to drive at all. Gear changes are really sluggish and jerky. Going from 2nd to 3rd. The car feels like Iv let of the gas for a split second once in 3rd. Or sometimes feels like Iv applied more gas and jerks toward. Even worse from 1st -2nd. 3rd-4th and 4th-5th seem fine.

sometimes with light throttle response the car feels like it missifires really bad. But I think this may be down to the tune. Running a 74mm fixed pulley. Spoke to race iq you said they can send me over a different tune.

Also I can be at a junction. Go to pull away slowly and literally the car lurches forward very aggressively nearly snapping my neck and the passengers for about 10feet. And I sort of kangoro down the road for abit like I’m pumping the throttle. It feels like a trans issue to me.

Anyone else had similar probs.
Did you find what the problem was for the jerking at light throttle? I have the same problem after i did my pulley 77mm fixed and tune. Feels ike a misfire indeed but i dont think it is actually a misfire.
The following users liked this post:
vzqk50 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 01:49 AM

2011 S63 AMG Black Designo
Any chance you can share the specifics of the fixes in a single post. If I am understanding, it sounds like the new TCU tune is the number 1 fix, but also an ECU tune helps. I run a bone-stock 2003 E55 with the issue, so anything I can do to fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2022, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
Jerking between 1st and second when cold? Or all gears?
Old 03-23-2022, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Jerking between 1st and second when cold? Or all gears?
In my case, the jerkiness occurs in upper gears 3/4/5 at around 1800-2000 RPM. I have been convinced it was misfiring, but no DTCs set for misfire. I did receive a DTC over the weekend for a "slight" EVAC leak. I opened and closed the gas cap and it has not reoccurred. However, that did not change the jerkiness. I have tried Using manual mode shifting, sneaky reset, and other purported fixes with no luck. Of course, been through the whole coil pack, spark plug, etc... fixes. I do need to check the injectors, but I only use Shell Nitro. At first that seemed to help, but that may have been a combination of things I switched at the time. Crazy thing is it still does zero to 60 in ~4.5sec with lower fuel and just me.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55 FBO.
Originally Posted by vzqk50
Any chance you can share the specifics of the fixes in a single post. If I am understanding, it sounds like the new TCU tune is the number 1 fix, but also an ECU tune helps. I run a bone-stock 2003 E55 with the issue, so anything I can do to fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have the fix for transmission issues
The following users liked this post:
vzqk50 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by zerocat101
I have the fix for transmission issues
so I was looking at an aftermarket TCU. Is there a unit you would recommend? I have a good scan tool and definitely not misfire related. It almost feels like the old locking torque converter issues from the 1980s GM cars. My scan tool won’t load a tune, so I would have to find a shop to load it.

any other thoughts or recommendations?
Old 04-24-2022, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by vzqk50
so I was looking at an aftermarket TCU. Is there a unit you would recommend? I have a good scan tool and definitely not misfire related. It almost feels like the old locking torque converter issues from the 1980s GM cars. My scan tool won’t load a tune, so I would have to find a shop to load it.

any other thoughts or recommendations?
Zerocat's TCUs are awesome, really makes these feel more like the 7sp newer transmissions, halfway between those and the MCTs, very nice feedback without any jerkiness.

Get ahold of a STAR tool, get into the TCU and shut off the torque converter lockup and drive to see if your issue goes away. If it doesn't you've got engine related issues, if it does...well look at TCU, lockup solenoid, torque converter, conductor plate etc. You can also look at adaptations to guage health of your transmission clutch plates etc.