Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has AMG lost it luster......

 
Old 03-19-2019, 02:42 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Has AMG lost it luster......

I was at MB of Arlington, yesterday to have my 07 E63 fully detailed. They have a guy that works miracles with 12 yr. old paint. Anyway, I had many hours to kill, so I walked around the dealership looking at many AMG's, as this dealership is also a AMG Performance Center. So I seen various 43s, 53s and 63s. It seems that AMG is plastered on just about every MB made. I feel as though the brand is being watered down, with AMG branding on every dam thing. And to be totally honest with you, besides the C63s, E63s and GTR there isn't any other AMG that I would buy period. AMG philosophy had been "One Man, One Engine" now its Driving Performance. I'm of the philosophy if your engine isn't built to the One Man, One Engine principle that it isn't a true AMG. I totally get AMG's marketing strategy, by branding vehicles like the 43s and 53s, owners get a small taste of what AMG is. And hopefully, they'll come back and purchase a 63. But what usually happens, is that these owners get a taste of the maintenance costs, and run the other way. Especially when their vehicle needs brakes and other needed maintenance. I witness a AMG owner forego replacing his front rotors and pads, opting to just replace the pads because of the expense, even though his rotors were pretty worn, but not at minimum spec. So the dealership just replaced the pads. One of my good friends Jack is the shop foreman, and he tells me horror stories of owners foregoing maintenance on their AMG because of the costs. He tries to talk folks out of buying AMG's, simply because you must factor in the cost of maintenance into your buying decision. These are $100K cars, and their maintenance reflects that cost. Unless I was to hit the lottery, I honestly don't think I would buy another brand new AMG. Also Mercedes puts tons of technology into their cars, and it's this technology that will ultimately fail. I was looking at a 2019 E63s digital display, and wondering how much it would cost to replaced if some of the pixels were to burn out. Some would argue that the AMG luster is better then it was, but I think the opposite. I miss those days when AMG was AMG, no holds barred.
Yuille36 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Yuille36:
maw1124 (03-22-2019), slownrusty (03-29-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:58 PM
  #2  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,801
Liked 143 Times in 126 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I agree with all of that. Unfortunately we are not representative of the bulk of their clientele. Marketing at its finest, they want more market segment and the 43, 45 cars are aimed at much younger buyers than traditional purchasers. I have trouble telling C and E class apart on the street now.
tw2 is offline  
The following users liked this post: tw2
maw1124 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Yeah......the C Class looks like smaller E Class, the E Class looks like a smaller S Class. And the CLA, GLA, GLC, GLE, don't like any of those vehicles.
I actually drove a GLC 300 loaner yesterday, I personally prefer my X5. The I-4 engine didn't seem to have enough giddy yup. But is it the entry level, I get it.
Now the S560 was nice......woo baby. And I looked at the GT63, which looks like a copied Porsche Panamera to me, but with a different nose.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:38 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 113
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
09 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I was at MB of Arlington, yesterday to have my 07 E63 fully detailed. They have a guy that works miracles with 12 yr. old paint. Anyway, I had many hours to kill, so I walked around the dealership looking at many AMG's, as this dealership is also a AMG Performance Center. So I seen various 43s, 53s and 63s. It seems that AMG is plastered on just about every MB made. I feel as though the brand is being watered down, with AMG branding on every dam thing. And to be totally honest with you, besides the C63s, E63s and GTR there isn't any other AMG that I would buy period. AMG philosophy had been "One Man, One Engine" now its Driving Performance. I'm of the philosophy if your engine isn't built to the One Man, One Engine principle that it isn't a true AMG. I totally get AMG's marketing strategy, by branding vehicles like the 43s and 53s, owners get a small taste of what AMG is. And hopefully, they'll come back and purchase a 63. But what usually happens, is that these owners get a taste of the maintenance costs, and run the other way. Especially when their vehicle needs brakes and other needed maintenance. I witness a AMG owner forego replacing his front rotors and pads, opting to just replace the pads because of the expense, even though his rotors were pretty worn, but not at minimum spec. So the dealership just replaced the pads. One of my good friends Jack is the shop foreman, and he tells me horror stories of owners foregoing maintenance on their AMG because of the costs. He tries to talk folks out of buying AMG's, simply because you must factor in the cost of maintenance into your buying decision. These are $100K cars, and their maintenance reflects that cost. Unless I was to hit the lottery, I honestly don't think I would buy another brand new AMG. Also Mercedes puts tons of technology into their cars, and it's this technology that will ultimately fail. I was looking at a 2019 E63s digital display, and wondering how much it would cost to replaced if some of the pixels were to burn out. Some would argue that the AMG luster is better then it was, but I think the opposite. I miss those days when AMG was AMG, no holds barred.
I agree 100%!! I had this almost exact conversation with a friend recently. I love my 211 (2009 E63) and is last generation I would buy.

Speaking of which I get to take her out of storage and for a run this weekend since the snow has finally melted! Will be a great reunion. 5 months is too long!
maximus16v is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:01 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I just had my car detailed for spring, but we are like minded I absolutely love the W211. The W213 is starting to grow on me.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:18 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 155
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
N/A
I agree as well. I am kind of old school I guess. I don't like all the digital screen nanny BS so much so I don't want a car with it. It's one of the many reasons I bought an E55. My brother has a SLK55 AMG with the kleeman blower set up and it's also old school and a hoot to drive. It seems it's getting to the point you need an IT degree and the car is becoming too precise and you lose the "fun factor". I have owned Supra's before and I like the new one but not so sure about the digital display standing up in the middle of the dash.


.

Last edited by Fountain35; 03-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Fountain35 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:27 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tx
Posts: 305
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
04 55
the AMG luster is alive and well when you step up to the SLS Black and similar but agree that most of these car are just status and "somewhat" luxury.. the biturbo 2012+ 63's look interesting to me these days with a tune will get you moving pretty quick and comfortably...MB maintenance across the board is high and they make a crapload of money doing it... i could not afford my car (nor would i even want it) unless i could do a lot of the little crap that happens with it -- if you got the means, buy new run it under warranty and trade in and up.. my .02 .
new55 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 286
Liked 53 Times in 46 Posts
2013 Audi RS5, 2019 C63CS (on order)
This is unfortunately happening with the performance brands across the board. BMW plasters the M badge on anything. You can now get regular models with the M sport package or something like that. An average person won't be able to tell it apart from an M3/4. To some extent it's for them to stay relevant and have a business. To be honest the clientele who buys 63s for what they are and are happy with them is small and getting smaller. Many buy these cars and then complain that they ride harsh etc. and yes I'm sure get surprised by the maintenance cost. As a result, these cars get watered down to increase sales, and lower end models (43s and 53s) are added to the brand to cater to those who can't quite stomach a 63, but still wanna have an AMG badge on their car. I have a neighbor with a GLC 43, and she proudly mentions that it is an AMG. I haven't said anything to offend her, but she will soon see what a proper AMG is, once my new 2019 C63S Coupe arrives. As I said, it's happening to other brands as well. I've owned Audis for the past 13 years. My current daily is a 2013 RS5 and I'm disappointed in the water down new RS5 Audi released. Hence I'm buying an AMG. I personally think AMG has never been better. They used to be about engines and burnouts, but not much more. Now their cars actually have excellent driving dynamics and the are doubling down. Just look at what they've done under the hood to the 2019 C63S. I am discouraged about the watering down of the brand with the 43 and 53 models. The new GLE 53 now has the panamericana grill, which AMG previously specifically reserved for the 63s.
superswiss is online now  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I hear yah...I do a lot of maintenance myself, so ownership costs are lower, as compared to taken it to the stealership. These new AMGs require Star Diagnostics to figure out the issue, and most owners don’t own one. I like all E55 and anything with the M156 in it.
Yuille36 is offline  
The following users liked this post: Yuille36
maw1124 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM
  #10  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,801
Liked 143 Times in 126 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I hate the digital displays. I was also especially disappointed with the new supra and z4 dash but it seems the way of the future. I would consider any new biturbo amg if I needed a E55 replacement but I hope not for a long time.
tw2 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:58 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I definitely get what everyone is saying but we also have to recognize that it makes them so much money to “dilute” the brand and offer performance versions of everything for those people in the middle market between regular Benz and AMG. The important thing to me is that they take some of those profits and continue investing in R&D to develop increasingly better performance cars. AMG doesn’t carry the same weight in tradition, but the performance is undeniable and the more they can pull from an ICE, the better our chances are to ward off electric vehicles just a bit longer. And I’m all for that!
Jake528 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
AMGFreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 52
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2007 e63
When my wife thinks a GLA 45 would look “cute”, then the car just lost its cool...

Agree with a lot of what was said. The key focus on 43/53 AMGs frankly is to pursue a younger generation, who will most likely lease and not buy, or drive the car through a subscription service. It’s also a way to lock in long term owners as most lessors swap cars all the time.

For me, one of the key points is pursuing the W211 E63 chassis was that this model (at least in my opinion) represented one of the last analog drivers. Again, my opinion there. Everything is digital/tech driven, so much so where coders are recognized more than the individual engine builders. Because of all of the technology in today’s cars, insurance companies are more likely total cars out (I will find the article to link to, but I welcome doubters).
AMGFreek is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 PM
  #13  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,801
Liked 143 Times in 126 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
My insurance company just sent a letter yesterday saying costs are increasing due to the more complicated and expensive repairs of the newer vehicles coming through. At least my mr2 will never get hacked.
tw2 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 PM
  #14  
Member
 
KAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 98
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
I agree with the OP. AMGs used to be special cars. For example, up here in Canada less than 100 C55s were sold in the whole country. And how it used the w209 CLK front clip. To me, that's truly rare and special. AMG's styling also used to be very subtle compared to the newer line up. Now they have these crazy lines, fake exhaust tips, etc. But as others have said, for the sake of profitability, BMW and Audi are both doing the same thing; M and S Line on everything. Everyone wants to buy an AMG but no one wants to pay AMG prices. I would assume the 43s/53s have lower maintenance costs (less cylinders, smaller brakes, no carbon ceramics, etc) so that's a plus for those people. But for those of us who enjoy working on our own cars, it's getting more and more difficult with the newer stuff. That's the sad reality of the overall trend of the industry; more electronics, more driver aids, etc. All that being said, the newer AMGs have some jaw dropping performance...
KAMG is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Don't get me started on the fake exhaust tips, I looked at a red GT63, beautiful car looks just like a Porsche Panamera. Anyway, I was surprised to find that the exhaust tips are purely cosmetic.
As well, as all the other AMG's I looked at. What is the world coming to when you can't have real exhaust tips. And when did AMG move forward yellow brake calipers? They have been either brilliant silver or gray since 2000.
The GT63 had them.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:58 PM
  #16  
Member
 
KAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 98
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
I never understood the exhaust tips...all the new stuff with the square tips is fake. I don't mind the colored calipers though. I really like the gold/bronze calipers they have with the carbon ceramic set up. Mine have chips here and there from the previous owner removing the wheels so I'm going to redo mine in that color eventually
KAMG is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM
  #17  
Super Member
 
tlambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 658
Liked 44 Times in 42 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Go drive a new E63 and then report back if the “fake” tips matter.

The car launches like a freaking rocket.

The “fake” tips hasn’t slowed it down.
tlambert is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM
  #18  
Member
 
KAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 98
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (sold), 2005 E55 AMG
Like I said in post 14, I know the new cars are crazy fast, they're in super car territory with this new generation. The fake tips don't slow it down. If AMG put a bunch of fake vents and grills (like a lot of manufacturers are doing) or a big C63 Black wing on the new E63 it wouldn't slow it down either, but all that stuff matters, at least to me anyway. I just never understood the purpose of the fake tips. Maybe it was for cost? Or easier bumper removal? Either way it looks weird when the car is up in the air
KAMG is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
With 603 hp and 627 lbs/ft it better not be slow. Hell my E63 isn't a slouch and it has far less
Yuille36 is offline  
The following users liked this post: Yuille36
Strigoi (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Yuille36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 3,995
Liked 99 Times in 85 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by KAMG View Post
I just never understood the purpose of the fake tips. Maybe it was for cost? Or easier bumper removal? Either way it looks weird when the car is up in the air
When you pay for a performance exhaust, the tips shouldn't be fake period.
Yuille36 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 PM
  #21  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,801
Liked 143 Times in 126 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
No one is doubting the insane performance, just the cheap gimmicky designs. The SL63 has fake side vents just to match its predecessors.
tw2 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:04 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C280 Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saratoga,Springs New York, Sarasota, Florida.
Posts: 2,388
Liked 68 Times in 61 Posts
E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
Yeah......the C Class looks like smaller E Class, the E Class looks like a smaller S Class. And the CLA, GLA, GLC, GLE, don't like any of those vehicles.
I actually drove a GLC 300 loaner yesterday, I personally prefer my X5. The I-4 engine didn't seem to have enough giddy yup. But is it the entry level, I get it.
Now the S560 was nice......woo baby. And I looked at the GT63, which looks like a copied Porsche Panamera to me, but with a different nose.
I sort of felt the same about AMG. Until I sat in the S65/S63, GLE63, GLS63, E63, G63, C63, SL63, AMG GT Sedan and Coupe (No need for a 53 series at all because it is watered down to me) The AMG Project One is amazing from what I have seen online. I feel the 53 series, 45 series and now 35 series have just watered down the AMG Brand. If they also just made 1 AMG Version for each car instead of having a S Version vs non S version (Example being E63 AMG vs E63 AMG S) it would be better. It seems like there is WAY too much redundancy with the line up. I am glad I just picked up a GLK over the GLC. Looked at buying a CPO GLC but they are just awful. The engine is a joke as is the transmission that shifts all the damn time. The interior is cramped and even thou it is larger then the GLK it feels smaller because of the design.
C280 Sport is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
tlambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SC
Posts: 658
Liked 44 Times in 42 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I want something that scares the s h I t out of me when I drive it. Hahahahaha.
tlambert is offline  
The following users liked this post: tlambert
maw1124 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C280 Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saratoga,Springs New York, Sarasota, Florida.
Posts: 2,388
Liked 68 Times in 61 Posts
E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
This is unfortunately happening with the performance brands across the board. BMW plasters the M badge on anything. You can now get regular models with the M sport package or something like that. An average person won't be able to tell it apart from an M3/4. To some extent it's for them to stay relevant and have a business. To be honest the clientele who buys 63s for what they are and are happy with them is small and getting smaller. Many buy these cars and then complain that they ride harsh etc. and yes I'm sure get surprised by the maintenance cost. As a result, these cars get watered down to increase sales, and lower end models (43s and 53s) are added to the brand to cater to those who can't quite stomach a 63, but still wanna have an AMG badge on their car. I have a neighbor with a GLC 43, and she proudly mentions that it is an AMG. I haven't said anything to offend her, but she will soon see what a proper AMG is, once my new 2019 C63S Coupe arrives. As I said, it's happening to other brands as well. I've owned Audis for the past 13 years. My current daily is a 2013 RS5 and I'm disappointed in the water down new RS5 Audi released. Hence I'm buying an AMG. I personally think AMG has never been better. They used to be about engines and burnouts, but not much more. Now their cars actually have excellent driving dynamics and the are doubling down. Just look at what they've done under the hood to the 2019 C63S. I am discouraged about the watering down of the brand with the 43 and 53 models. The new GLE 53 now has the panamericana grill, which AMG previously specifically reserved for the 63s.
Ya nope. GLC43 is basically a GLC that has a non AMG Engine but is made to look like one. Nothing about the 53 or 43 series is AMG other then the badges.
C280 Sport is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:11 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
C280 Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saratoga,Springs New York, Sarasota, Florida.
Posts: 2,388
Liked 68 Times in 61 Posts
E,E,CL,C,CLK,ML,S,GLK,others...
Originally Posted by tlambert View Post
I want something that scares the s h I t out of me when I drive it. Hahahahaha.
New E63 AMG Does that! And sounds amazing too!
C280 Sport is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Has AMG lost it luster......


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: